Kristian's Phantom Draft (footytragic.com)

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are GWS signing so many midfielders, together with the numerous midfielders they signed last year and picked up as uncontracted signings ?

Tom Scully, Callan Ward, Sam Reid, Dylan Shiel, Adam Treloar, Rhys Palmer, James McDonald, Stephen Coniglio, Dom Tyson, Will Hoskin Elliott, and thats just to pick 7.

You then pick Adams, Haynes, Smith and Sumner - all mids !?

Great reading and insights. Cheers for that. Dockers walk away with mostly forwards, but they'd be hoping for a midfielder too (would've preferred Spurr late to another forward flanker type).

Well done Mate,

Yes its a bit different but its creative and I really like the way you have done a slight schuffle in the first 20 or so picks.

In reality thats the way it really goes.

:thumbsu: Very much appreciate your input and thanks for deciding to contribute.

Would be absolutely stoked if that turned out to be true. I'd be stoked with McKenzie at 27, let alone 41. Sheridan and Waldhuter with our last two picks would be the icing on the cake.

great read mate, and I agree that the lions will not pass up longer and that will be a huge error from the GWS team if they let him slide. But I cant see the GWS risk losing Longer, and people should go back and watch the Silvani interview at half time at the under 18 GF...It was pretty obvious that Silvani has his sights well and truely set to get Longer

Its a stupid mock by someone who didnt bother to look at how many Mids and Rucks GWS already have.

This is GWS' midfield stocks, to pick 3.

Tom Scully, Callan Ward, Sam Reid, Dylan Shiel, Adam Treloar, Rhys Palmer, James McDonald, Stephen Coniglio, Dom Tyson

This is GWS' ruck stocks, also to pick 3.

Dean Brogan. Jonathon Giles.

Brogan is old and an injury risk. Giles was an OK SANFL ruckman.

Never the less, The Cotch goes 'MOAR MIDS ! GWS NEEDS MOAR MIDS !'. That is approaching Fremantle-level idiocy for an expansion clubs second draft.

IanW, there are strong reports that Longer is not as highly rated as you would have hoped. They may prefer to pick up a late draft ruck or rookie draft instead. They also may have already signed Goldstein or McIntosh.... Who knows what might have happened that will allow them to skip on Longer.

Patton, Tomlinson, Haynes, Hamling and Currie are all not midfielders. GWS could view Currie as a viable option for the short to medium term.

MOAR MIDS ! GWS needs MOAR MIDS !

PICK 14 (GWS) – LIAM SUMNER Again, like many *midfielders* in this draft, I think he’ll make his name as a small forward initially. A good player comparison in my opinion is Dale Thomas.

PICK 13 (GWS) – SAM DOCHERTY I think long-term Sam can become an outside *midfielder*.

PICK 11 (GWS) – DEVON SMITH Smith is a genuine goal kicking, ball winning inside *midfielder*.

PICK 10 (GWS) – NICK HAYNES I like Haynes *following the football*. For his height his not exactly purely outside and when he has to, he’ll go in and win his own ball.

PICK 9 (GWS) – TAYLOR ADAMS Adams is a genuine *inside midfielder*

PICK 7 (GWS) – ADAM TOMLINSON. [not a midfielder]

PICK 5 (GWS) – MATTHEW BUNTINE [not a midfielder]

PICK 4 (GWS) – WILL HOSKIN-ELLIOT [winger]

PICK 3 (GWS) – DOM TYSON He’s an *inside midfielder* that possesses a brilliant outside game as well

PICK 2 (GWS) – JONATHON PATTON [not a midfielder]

PICK 1 (GWS) – STEPHEN CONIGLIO Coniglio is a high quality *midfielder* that possesses all the assets to become a star of the AFL.

7 picks of midfielders, 8 if you count WHE as an outside mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why did you bother stopping at pick 14? You have to consider the whole draft as part of a strategy.

Other than Bolger and Kersten, it seems the Kristian has selected most of the talls viable for a first round selection. Bolger was taken by Brisbane at 8, so they missed out and GWS seem to have some decent tall forwards so they could skip on Kersten.

Docherty will play HBF.

As for all the mids, you can never have too many quality midfielders and I see nothing wrong with getting the best of the best. If you consider the rest of GWS picks, which you happened to ignore, then you will see they went tall with the rest of their selections. THIS IS A VIABLE strategy.

PICK 56 (GWS) – JOEL HAMLING

This pick is really speculative as Hamling is no where near AFL ready. I thought GWS need size though, and he’s possibly the best of the rest.

PICK 79 (GWS) – DANIEL CURRIE

GWS missed out on a ruckman. They could do much worse than Daniel Currie though, and if it isn’t with the Giants, I think he’ll get another go somewhere else

PICK 87 (GWS) – XAVIER RICHARDS

Height: 194cm, Weight: 81kg, DOB: 25/04/1993
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons

Xavier is Ted Richard’s brother. They’re very much a similar type of player. Xavier moves very well for his size but his got some physical development to do. He could hold down a key post in the future for the Giants. Realistically, I think he’ll be taken in the rookie draft.

Excuse me while I find a bucket.

Whether you like it or not Ian, GWS's picks won't differ too much from this.

Please, give me your GWS picks. You'll find you'll be paying WAY over the odds for any talls bar Patton, Tomlinson, Kersten and Longer in the top 15.

1 - GWS - Jonathon Patton (Eastern Rangers) - best KPF

2 - GWS - Stephen Coniglio (Swan Districts) - best mid

3 - GWS - Dom Tyson (Oakleigh Chargers) - very good mid

4 - GWS - Billy Longer (Northern Knights) - best ruck

5 - GWS - Adam Tomlinson (Oakleigh Chargers) - 2nd best KPF, good KPD

6 - Port - Chad Wingard - local boy, quality, quality mid

7 - GWS - Matthew Buntine (Dandenong Stingrays) - best small defender

8- Brisbane - Will Hoskin-Elliott - speed to burn

9 - GWS - Toby Greene (Oakleigh Chargers) - quality inside mid

10 - GWS - Shane Kersten (South Fremantle) - 2nd best KPF. Undersized leading forward to go with the two gorillas of Patton and Folau

11 - GWS - Elliot Kavanagh (Western Jets) - injury issues. Boom or bust mid.

12 - Brisbane - best available Mid

13 - GWS - Michael Talia (Calder Cannons) - Best KPD. stopped Patton, so I dont care if he can't kick

14 - GWS - Henry Schade (Tas) - 2nd best KPD

Yup, I agree Talia and Schade are about 10 picks ahead of where they "should be", but GWS traded out of the middle of the draft. Wingard and Hoskin-Elliott are regrettably sacrificed for balance.

Talia at 13. wow. Hate it.

Schade yes, agree. Will be a very good player long term and I rate him the best KPD in the draft.

But let's be realistic here Ian, what you just put together there, won't happen. Surely you know that? Longer AND Tomlinson top 5?

FWIW, there's a 98% chance Greene will not be at GWS, same for Kavanagh.

You called my Phantom 'stupid' based on your opinion of what you WANT to happen, but realistically we all know it won't.

Talia at 13. wow. Hate it.

Schade yes, agree. Will be a very good player long term and I rate him the best KPD in the draft.

But let's be realistic here Ian, what you just put together there, won't happen. Surely you know that? Longer AND Tomlinson top 5?

FWIW, there's a 98% chance Greene will not be at GWS, same for Kavanagh.

You called my Phantom 'stupid' based on your opinion of what you WANT to happen, but realistically we all know it won't.

Im making the judgement GWS needs to go big in this draft, as their recruiting effort so far has been overwhelmingly smaller players.

Buntine can wait till 7, as if Wingard is there at 6, Port are taking him. I wont leave either of Tomlinson or Longer for Brisbane, who have two rucks and IMO need key position players.

Therefore, Tomlinson and Longer at 4 and 5, and Buntine at 7.

Greene and Kavagnagh I dont care that much about - replace em with other mids if you want, as there are a whole pack of second-tier mids behind the "top six".

Kersten is a forward for this year, to play with Folau while Patton puts on more muscle in the NEAFL.

Talia splits opinions. I think he's one of the top KPDs, but if it helps, take him behind Schade or replace him with who you think is the next KPD behind Schade.

And, yes, your "Moar Mids for GWS" draft does leave GWS brutally undersized in their first year in the AFL, to go with brutally under-muscled with all the 18 year olds.

I think they will reach for talls (*), yes.

Right now, their "bigs" - 6 foot 4, more than 85 kilos - are

Forward : Folau, Cameron, Bruce

Ruck : Brogan, Giles, Phillips

Backs : Mohr, Davis, Hombsch, Seagrave

Thats pretty darn thin.

(*) The pun was unintentional. Really

I agree with you Ian.

What is baffling though, is the fact GWS look like they'll leave one or both Longer and Tomlinson to be taken by Brisbane at 8, and it seems there isn't a whole lot of interest in Kersten, hence I have him going to Fremantle at 16.

If there's two words I'd use for GWS's list building strategy, they would be "aggressive" and "ruthless". It wouldnt surprise me in the least if they are fibbing about their likely picks between 14 and 7.

FWIW, Emma Qualyle thinks it will be Patton-Coniglio-Tyson-Wingard-Buntine. That leaves Port picking between Longer, Tomlinson and Hoskins-Elliot at 6.

really enjoyed reading that...well done.

Like you am a fan of Sam Gordon but think you will find he isnt the 197cm we thought he was...came in around 191.5 at the combine. 2cm would be a big difference for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back