Kurt Tippett trade talk

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So I think it is just a matter of time before Kurt Tippett becomes a Sun after a recent interview where he basically admitted he wanted to go home to the Gold Coast. Considering how badly the Gold Coast need a key forward and Kurt would seem to fit the bill in a hypothetical situation what do you think would be a likely pathway for Kurt Tippett to find himself in a Suns jumper next year. Adelaide also don't want to get to the end of next year and get nothing when Kurt walks out to the Suns.

I can see two possible pathways that make sense to me:
  1. Suns trade Seb Tape(South Australian boy and could cover the loss of Davis for the Crows) and a top 10 draft pick in this year's draft.
  2. Suns trade two draft picks and a young player that hasn't played many games this year, maybe someone like a Sam Day(another SA boy).

What do you guys think?

bballscout

Cancelled
Apr 22, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Re: How Kurt Tippett could become a Sun

Would do Tape/Jolly for Tippett. Sam Day is worth more. If Crows want Day it would be Tippett + pick in 10-20 range for Day.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast

I think the Suns put games into Seb to up his trad baitiness..unfortunately all I think its done has exposed his weaknesses rather than highlight his strengths
Maybe he's homesick and if the deal was done he might come good ...hope so, but his selection every week for us is an agonising and excrutiating carbuncle on my ass

WrongUn

White Line Fever
Apr 4, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC

I dont care what it takes as long as Tape is permanently deported from Queensland and big Kurtly comes home to the Goldy where he belongs.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Well interestingly Kurt's contract states that after three seasons at the Crows (end of 2012) Kurt has the option to be traded for a second and third round draft pick. Surely the Crows won't risk just getting a second and third round pick for their highest paid player. They could do a serious deal with the Gold Coast that would benefit both parties.

I don't think Kurt's $700,000 a season contract for next year will be a problem for the Suns with the retirement of Harris and few players being dropped from the Suns list at the end of this year. For the Suns keeping Joel Tippett on their list is probably a tactical move similar to them signing Nathan Ablett to get Gary. I think Tape moving home would allow him to play better as well as covering the loss of Davis while Gold Coast having a real target up forward as well as having a future replacement for Josh Fraser as a Ruck/Forward type is so valuable for the Coast.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane

The Crows don't have any interest in Tape. None. We have too many mid sized defenders, and it was a blessing to lose Davis as it makes our decisions easier.

We would trade for Day but nobody else. And we wouldn't sweeten the deal in any way. It would be straight up, or we'd roll the dice on getting Tippett to sign beyond his current contract, as he has put no time frame on going home to the Gold Coast (could be after his career).

And let's stop talking about the second and third round picks stuff. There is no evidence beyond Caro's ranblings that the clause even exists, yet alone puts a figure to his value.

McCavity

All Australian
May 22, 2008
Pakenham, VIC
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Gembrook-Cockatoo,Central Districts

No problem - you can have Kurt and we'll take Charlie Dixon as a straight swap. Deal done!!!:)

bballscout

Cancelled
Apr 22, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs

or we can take kurt for free through the PSD next year :)

CoastBhoy

Premiership Player
Jul 26, 2001
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Villa

The Crows don't have any interest in Tape. None. We have too many mid sized defenders, and it was a blessing to lose Davis as it makes our decisions easier.

We would trade for Day but nobody else. And we wouldn't sweeten the deal in any way. It would be straight up, or we'd roll the dice on getting Tippett to sign beyond his current contract, as he has put no time frame on going home to the Gold Coast (could be after his career).

And let's stop talking about the second and third round picks stuff. There is no evidence beyond Caro's ranblings that the clause even exists, yet alone puts a figure to his value.

Watched Kurt before the game last week at Metricon , walking around the ground signing autographs , getting photos taken , no other Crow was doing that , he's gone , get what u can for him , we'll give you a promising kid called Alex Keath , one to watch , can play cricket as well.;)

bballscout

Cancelled
Apr 22, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs

hahaha^

Crows can get value out of Kurt this year, next year its in his court. Jolly/Tape is more than fair as an offer.

Chief Crow

AFC young gun
Dec 11, 2007
City of Churches
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood

Watched Kurt before the game last week at Metricon , walking around the ground signing autographs , getting photos taken , no other Crow was doing that , he's gone , get what u can for him , we'll give you a promising kid called Alex Keath , one to watch , can play cricket as well.;)

Kurt does that before most games here, it is part of his before game routine I assume.

The Sloane Ranger

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC

I actually think it is amusing that people actually think it is a done deal that Kurt will return next year

wasn't Walker to GWS and Tippett to GC (last year) also done deals :eek:

Yes Kurt's interview was a little clumsy however he say nothing more than

1. he is committed to the Crows
2. he will one day return home and live on the GC beaches

so you can read it either way, again the media is looking for a headline

re my 2nd point, I too am confident that he one day will return to life on the GC beaches however that may well be next year, or it may be when Kurt is 28 and looking to play out his last contract at home, or it could be when he retires, the fact is none of us truely know.

what I do know is:

1. Kurt appreciates that the AFC gave him an opportunity
2. Kurt loves the AFC
3. Kurt appreciates all the support and resources the AFC have provided in his development
2. Kurt understands that the club paid overs in making him the highest ever paid player for the AFC

with all this in mind and if Kurt did decide to leave at the end of next year I have no doubt of the following:

1. Kurt will not walk to GC through the PSD
2. Kurt would want the AFC to be fairly compensated in a trade

Toconclude I don't believe it is a done deal, the playing group at the AFC are pretty tight in particular Kurt and Walker and IMO the decision will depend on how much Adelaide improve next season and the strength of the bond between Kurt and the new coach...........

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers

I doubt Kurt will leave too. Not many of the rumours of these sorts of trades actually happen, and with a key-role in a young squad at Adelaide, I can't see him leaving.

dajesmac

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Manchester
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Liverpool

1. Suns trade Seb Tape(South Australian boy and could cover the loss of Davis for the Crows) and a top 10 draft pick in this year's draft.
  2. Suns trade two draft picks and a young player that hasn't played many games this year, maybe someone like a Sam Day(another SA boy).
Gold Coast don't have KPD's to spend and Sam Day should be untradeable, has potentially much higher upside than Tippett. I honestly think the Crows would win that trade.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots

Gorringe just re-signed for another couple of years, so cannot see the Suns wanting to get rid of him.

Matera & Day also in the final process of penning in a new contract, so you'd think a Day trade wouldn't be on the table.

I'd be happy to see Tape go. :D

CoastBhoy

Premiership Player
Jul 26, 2001
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Villa

Heard this morning we will be making a play in trade week for Kurt , watch rthis space !!!!

WrongUn

White Line Fever
Apr 4, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC

The news I have been waiting to hear, and personally I think the crows will be very keen to trade him now and receive some good compo instead of the possibility of him walking at the end of next season?

CrowMania1990

Senior List
Jan 19, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

Even though we lost Bock and now Davis, there is a very little chance that the Crows would want Tape. Young midfielders however are a different story.

daniel_4tw

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide

I don't get why everyone is so sold on Tippett going home. If he was so certain the Gold Coast was the place to be, why did he sign with Adelaide for potentially less money then he would have got at GC? Plus he had the chance to get in at the beginning when everyone expected him to go, had the oppurtunity to have his contract massively front loaded, and could have done it without consulting the Crows. Why wait 3 years, and then leave?

I'm not convinced that Tippett will be at the Suns in the next 2 years, or ever for that matter. Should make an interesting trade week none the less.

Oct 5, 2010
QLD
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Spurs

Who knows mate but people do change their minds. Debating it either way is kind of pointless speculation but I agree, it's gonna be an interesting trade week.

I'm gonna throw out my 2 cents (aka wild guess) early and say it's not gonna happen.

UP AND RUNNING

Senior List
May 25, 2010
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Not too sure of the rules but don't you have to be contracted to a club to be traded !!! So if that is true then we could trade Day etc.

Do not think the Tippett thing will happen. We do not have that much money left to throw at a player when the younger players that have performed well will command more money not to mention some of the older players that have had a great year. If they spend that much money on Tippett I would be disappointed. We spent a fortune on Kraker and that was wasted money !!!!!

Back