AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
Kyle Langford
Height: 190cm
Weight: 73kg
Position: Forward, Defender, Midfielder​

There are so many of these tall, but skinny utility types coming through the U18 competitions in the last few years that they really aren't all that unique anymore. It seems as though every year, we're talking about what position they are best suited to and whether their games can translate to the top level. Well, Kyle Langford is another who will no doubt interest clubs with his versatility and potential.

Langford's 2014 season so far has been nothing short of excellent, he has really stepped up his game from last year - both in terms of pure impact on a game, as well as consistency. In 2013, he showed enough signs to suggest he could be a player of the future but he never really put it together for long enough. Playing as more of a third tall at either end, he was in and out of games as a 17 year old. But his first month in the TAC Cup in 2014 (before the U18 Championships) was the best football he has played by far. He kicked 11 goals from his first three games, including two hauls of five in back to back games. And that was as more of a half forward, pushing up onto a wing and through the midfield. Langford averaged around 18 disposals, 8 marks (2 of which were contested) and 5 tackles a game. It was a really good display, and showed exactly what clubs would have been expecting from a player of his ability. But for Vic Metro, Langford saw his role in the team change up a little bit. Instead of being that third tall forward pushing up to the wings, he became that third tall defender pushing up to the wings. And it's a role in which I thought he showed a lot of promise. Averaging around 14 disposals and 4 marks a game, Langford provided some nice run off of half back while also being given roles on some of the more dangerous opposition forwards. His best game came in Round 1, when he was matched up against Tom Lamb from Vic Country. Langford arguably had the best of him, before being moved further up the ground in the last quarter.

Just to change things up, I'll start with Langford's weaknesses. Immediately from the start of this profile, his numbers jump out - 190cm, but just 73kg. He has a light frame, so may need some time to fully develop in the weight room. Sometimes with these skinnier types, it's always hit and miss as to how they develop. Will they thrive like Nat Fyfe, or will they struggle like Josh Bootsma? But that's the risk you take when you draft them, all you can do is sit and wait. Otherwise, he hasn't shown much of a contested game at all. At the U18 Championships, about 85% of his diposals were uncontested and even in the TAC Cup when he is in the middle he plays almost exclusively on a wing. This is likely to be linked in with his light frame, but it's something to consider when looking at Langford as an AFL prospect.

But the positive, is that he has a lot more strengths than he does weaknesses. I'll add at the top, that while he doesn't win much contested ball, he does tackle quite well. So it's not as though he is just a soft player all round. But probably his biggest strength, is his marking. It's always a positive when these skinny players have sticky hands. In one on contests, he isn't the greatest obviously. But if he can avoid getting into a wrestle and run at the ball, he'll mark more than he drops. And just showing off his ability in the air, as a defender he showed a knack for getting his long arms in for a spoil at the right moment. And it's just the versatiltiy and athleticism as a whole that makes him such an attractive draft prospect.

So where does Langford fit in with similar utility types from previous years? Is he more Marco Paparone or Jonathon Marsh? Personally, I tend to think he will go earlier in the draft with a range of around 20-30. He has shown more in regards to being able to play defined roles than some others, and his combination of both versatility and natural talent should interest a few teams - he may divide clubs, but I can see a few having him quite high up on their lists. And I think Langford has shown more than enough already to suggest he is worth a shot, and I would expect a similar sort of role and stats to that of Andrejs Everitt at Carlton.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back