Kyrie Irving...Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

nigel purchase isnt excited about irving playing for australia. wonders why we need to bring in a "foreigner" when we have plenty of good young players here.

he adds irving didnt come through the system (ie club, state ball).

schebecci asks how is it different to bogut.

cant remember nigels answer.

0pPWR.png

Doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. Does he regularly visit Australia, has he been back since he was two years old? If he becomes good enough I suspect he won't think twice about switching allegiances and playing for the US.

Edit: Just found out that he's never returned to Australia since he first left at two years old.

nigel purchase isnt excited about irving playing for australia. wonders why we need to bring in a "foreigner" when we have plenty of good young players here.

he adds irving didnt come through the system (ie club, state ball).

schebecci asks how is it different to bogut.

cant remember nigels answer.

Nigel's answer was that the comparison ends with the fact that they were both born here.

He came across as quite condescending and quite defensive about the Australian system

I'd be interested to know who the good young players here are that would beat out Irving to start at PG for the Boomers

Nigel's answer was that the comparison ends with the fact that they were both born here.

He came across as quite condescending and quite defensive about the Australian system

I'd be interested to know who the good young players here are that would beat out Irving to start at PG for the Boomers

thanks for your post brah.

i think he's pissed about the fact kylie hasnt played any ball here at all. probably a good thing too.

i agree with everything you said in your post

He's absolutely delusional if he think's theres anyone that comes close.

Patty Mills was the golden child in the eyes of guys like Nigel, Irving got taken #1, after a sample space of 12 games........

You don't go #1 in the NBA draft, after 12 college games, as a PG, without a shitload of talent, certainly 10x the amount of our best PG prospect atm.

Does Melbourne lead the world in cities with the most NBA Draft #1 picks born?
Was Bogut born in Melbourne?
Would think either new York or Chicargo has pumped out a few

new york has had Oden+Brand+Lanier+Kareem Jabbar off the top of my head while Chicargo has rose+Mark Aguirre,Larue Martin

He's absolutely delusional if he think's theres anyone that comes close.

Patty Mills was the golden child in the eyes of guys like Nigel, Irving got taken #1, after a sample space of 12 games........

You don't go #1 in the NBA draft, after 12 college games, as a PG, without a shitload of talent, certainly 10x the amount of our best PG prospect atm.

Thats what I was thinking when listening to the interview. Our starting PG (AFAIK) is Patty Mills who can barely get a game in the NBA and spends most of his time waving a towel around and cheering on his teammates. If a guy who was good enough to be thought of as the consensus #1 pick wants to play for us, you'd be stupid not to say 'yes'. Nigel is just bitter.

Who gives a s*** if Irving has only been here for 2 years of his life. He was born here which is more than he can say than some of the other sportspeople we claim. Good to hear that Basketball Australia is still pursuing Irving, even if its unlikely the USA would release him

Yeah, some real long term thinking there from Nige.

What will have more of a positive impact on Australian basketball and get kids excited? Kyrie Irving playing for the Boomers, or Adam Gibson or whatever thrid string PG we have making the squad?

Sucks to be the bloke that would miss out.....but bigger picture Nige.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Longley was from WA? (edit:Nope, Wikipedia tells me he was born in Melbourne).

As for Irving, I'd love for him to declare for Australia. Between him and Bogut we'd have the nucleus of a damn fine team.

Sadly, I don't think this will ever happen. And sadly, I don't think it would be enough to even get Australia back on the map in terms of leading world basketball. The sport is in decline at a national level (not participation rates) and it's the medias fault. In reality, we hear next to nothing about about Irving or the draft at all.

Pretty sure the Boomers don't count for two shits on the Australian sporting scene. I'd rate them they're below the NBL in terms of level of interest.

Why would he bother?

Rose
CP3
Rondo
Westbrook
Williams
Curry.

Surely I needn't go on?

If he wants to play international basketball, he has to get past those 6 AT LEAST! He can be the star of an Australian international team.

Makes sense really.

Happened to click on his twitter a couple of weeks ago, and his bio was something like, "Cleveland/Duke/Australia."

Obviously changed now, but make of that what you will.

Rose
CP3
Rondo
Westbrook
Williams
Curry.

Surely I needn't go on?

If he wants to play international basketball, he has to get past those 6 AT LEAST! He can be the star of an Australian international team.

Makes sense really.

But does it? He only just got drafted. Natural development would see him pass at least 3 or 4 of these guys (not including injury) at some point.

LMAO :D:thumbsu:

I'd say realistically he might get past Westbrook though.

But Westbrook is such a good closer in tight playoff games. Doesn't need KD, just gets his composure on and his Murali chuck mode on, and we can just sit back and marvel...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back