L. Hodge v M. Voss

Who would you prefer?

• L. Hodge

Votes: 33 14.3%
  • M. Voss

Votes: 197 85.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You're accusing me of being a troll and yet you blatantly leave out Black... Riiight.
I also didn't include a raft of hawthorn midfielders to the discussion. but for what it's worth. Voss>mitchell>black>hodge>aker>burgoyne>lappin

Burgoyne is at the Luke Power level imo. Not sure how you can argue Burgoyne > Lappin?
I think it was the only one he got right. To compare Burgoyne to Luke Power is absurd, he's a legit champion of the game. Lappin was a gun but Burgoyne is clearly better imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope. Burgoyne is a class player and I love him, but he hasn't been as good a player over his whole career as Hodge.

Aker Black is debatable.

Lapin not in Hodges class. He was the 4th best mid in his team.

You are so Bias. Aker and Black are both clearly better players then Hodge. Lappin is debatable.
Career accolades are all very similar in all three players, they have all had 3-4 AA selections, 2-3 club bnf and a mixture of Brownlows and or norm / duel Norms.

They all are three times premiership players, in teams that are very comparable in terms of lasting legacies as great AFL teams. They are all either the best 2-3 players in their teams. They are all sensational finals players and amongst the best of the modern era.

Explain to me how two are so clearly ahead of the other? It is based on absolutely nothing. You can state a preference, but in no way shape or form is there any clear gap between them. Voss. . Yes.

Bigfooty and footy fans in general have a tendency to over romantisize past players abilitys an exploits. Aker was a champ but he has a career average of 18 disposals of so a game and had his fair share of quiet , non existent games as well. For every final he tore to shreds, hodge has had an equally good display.

I have no problem if you think Aker was ahead of Hodge but to say that "he is clearly a level above" is just pure, bigfooty bs.

Hodge is a future HOF lock, and good enough to have only a very select few to be able to say that they are clearly "a level above". So Aker/black? Yes. Extremely debatable.

I actually think these two are right in each others range. Both great players.
Yep, it's difficult to compare when they played their best in different positions. Lappin was clearly a better midfielder but Hodge could play to a higher level right in every position.

I think the player who gets criminally underrated is Burgoyne. He was one of the best midfielders in the competition at Port and at Hawthorn he has been A+ playing all over the ground. Clearly better than Hodge imo.

Yep, it's difficult to compare when they played their best in different positions. Lappin was clearly a better midfielder but Hodge could play to a higher level right in every position.

I think the player who gets criminally underrated is Burgoyne. He was one of the best midfielders in the competition at Port and at Hawthorn he has been A+ playing all over the ground. Clearly better than Hodge imo.

Burgoyne's best year was 2006, where he made his only AA team on the bench. Not to take away from this, as he had a sensational season.
Hodge's 2010 he was AA captain, named in the centre, and was Second in the MVP award. So yeah, he was "one of the best midfielders in the competition"

Hodge has also been an AA defender, and has 3x AAs to Burgoyne's one. He has 2 B&Fs to Burgoyne's none.

So Burgoyne is now also "clearly" better than Hodge, despite the fact that Hodge has exceeded burgoyne comfortably in every category you give as your reasoning. Im pretty sure Scott Burns was better than Hodge too huh?

Career accolades are all very similar in all three players, they have all had 3-4 AA selections, 2-3 club bnf and a mixture of Brownlows and or norm / duel Norms.
No, career accolades are still clearly slanted in favour Aker and Black. You seem to have missed the fact that they have both won brownlow medals whilst playing the majority of their careers in the midfield - not on the back flank. Hodge has neither won a brownlow or played the majority of his career in midfield.

I'd also add that while all three are proven GF performers (without going back and checking), I highly doubt that Black or Acker ever played a GF as poorly as Hodge did in the 2012 GF.

Back