NFL Relocations and League Expansion

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL: The Raiders Could Leave Oakland for LA as Early as January
Matt Reevy Google+ Twitter | More Articles
July 22, 2014
Los-Angeles-Raiders-Al-Bello-Getty-Images.jpg

Al Bello/Getty Images

The NFL is actively trying to move back into the Los Angeles market, which has been vacant since 1995, and the Oakland Raiders are among the teams that could be slotted back into the area, fifteen years after they left. The league is so invested in the idea that they’re considering financing a new stadium themselves, something that, quite simply, is not done under normal operating circumstances. As for Oakland, which seems perpetually stuck in limbo regarding NFL necessary updates to the O.Co Coliseum and the passionate support of their Bay Area fanbase, this is just the second most offensive idea — the worst being the idea that the team would move in with the San Francisco 49ers in their new arena in Santa Clara.

“Whatever gets us a team in L.A., that would be awesome,” Robert Craft, the owner of the New England Patriots, told The Los Angeles Times. “Whatever it takes, I know I’d be willing to support.” The paper went on to detail a relatively tight timeline for how the whole process would play out should a team be moved, the crux of the matter falling on how to avoid a dead season while still having time to sell season tickets to fans in the new market. The result? The last two weeks in January. If anything goes down at all, it won’t be revealed until then.

While the NFL has already had two and a half teams crash and burn in Los Angeles already, the presence of a professional football team playing in the country’s second largest city has an unmistakable allure for the league office, an allure that usually manifests itself right now as a convenient bit of extortion when it comes time to ask communities for more money to build new stadiums. If the Raiders move to L.A., they will not be forced to cohabitate with another team — one of the main reasons they moved back to Oakland in ’95.

Bo-Jackson-George-Rose-Getty-Images.jpg

George Rose/Getty Images

Comparing two situations that took place nearly two decades apart will have inevitable problems, and the Raiders ownership has, at least publicly, never considered leaving Oakland for another destination. That said, it’s hard to envision another team that’s so suited to a quick move, especially given the quagmire that has developed between the Oakland Athletics, the Raiders, and the city itself.

The ongoing legal battle that’s developed over the A’s new lease, which is set to be for ten years at the current O.Co Coliseum, is labyrinthine, but essentially this is what’s happening: The MLB wants to move the A’s to San Jose, the NFL wants to knock down the O.Co and build a football-only stadium on the site, and the city of Oakland wants the A’s to build a new, separate stadium in their city — something they contend has never been in the baseball team’s plans. To further complicate matters, there are fears that a long-term lease signed by the A’s could “force out the Raiders without securing a commitment from [A's co-owner Lew] Wolff to build in Oakland,” per the San Jose Mercury News.

This time last year Victor Matheson, a Holy Cross economics professor, was asked about the likelihood of an LA move for the silver and black and concluded that the team’s chances of staying in Oakland were were bleak. “It sucks to be an Oakland Raiders fan—not a Raiders fan, but an Oakland Raiders fan,” Matheson said. One year later, and not much has changed.

Kraft wants L.A. team within 2-3 years
Posted by Mike Florio on July 26, 2014, 8:08 AM EDT
kraft.jpg
AP
When it comes to talking about putting franchises in London or Los Angeles, the league routinely creates a sense of urgency that, when it comes to acting on it, doesn’t seem to actually exist.

Appearing Friday on ESPN’s SportsCenter, Patriots owner Robert Kraft said that a return to L.A. “within the next two to three years . . . would be in everybody’s best interest.”

The problem continues to be finding a stadium solution that is in the best interests of the NFL and the local interest that would be involved in building a stadium and buying all or part of a relocated team. For years, it’s been believed that the NFL won’t make a deal to return to the NFL unless it’s the right deal, which the ongoing lack of a deal to return to L.A. would seem to confirm.

“We’ve gone a generation — almost 20 years — without a team in L.A.,” Kraft said, via SportsBusiness Daily. “We have a generation of young people growing up not really branded and tied to a team. I think that kind of passion only comes when you have a team you can root for, and I think it’s very important.”

Kraft, who said he’d like to see two teams return to Los Angeles, hinted at one point about ESPN eventually televising a Monday Night Football game “from downtown L.A.,” a reference to the dormant-if-not-dead AEG proposal to build a stadium near Staples Center. Whether an idle comment or deliberate, finding a location for a stadium continues to be one of the biggest challenges.

“It’s complicated, because L.A. is a [big] market, the weather is great, you have so many choices,” Kraft said. “So we need to make sure we have ownership that’s passionate about the game, really feel that the franchise is one of the most important things in their life. Then we’ve got to get the right venue. Having the right venue is so critical because I don’t think we’ll get fans in the L.A. market to come if it’s not really special.”

Sam Farmer of the L.A. Times recently reported that the right venue could be a venue built and owned by the NFL. Whatever the solution, there continues to be plenty of talk about returning to Los Angeles and expanding to London, but no action.

That doesn’t mean quick action isn’t possible, especially with the two teams that left L.A. in 1995 — the Raiders and the Rams — now operating on year-to-year leases.

Chargers throw water on idea of NFL-owned stadium in L.A.
Posted by Mike Florio on July 27, 2014, 2:33 PM EDT
spanos.jpg
Getty Images
If the Chargers stay in San Diego, the last thing they want is one or two teams headquartered 90 miles up the road in L.A. It’s no surprise, then, that the Chargers don’t believe the NFL would ever solve the generation-old L.A. stadium problem by building its own.

It’s pie in the sky,” Chargers special counsel Mark Fabiani told Nick Canepa of U-T San Diego.

It’s also nothing new, according to team president Dean Spanos.

“It’s an idea that has been floated before,” Spanos said. “There’s nothing new to it. For the past 20 years we’ve been hearing about it.”

Regardless of who builds and owns the stadium, the Chargers clearly aren’t interested in encouraging the arrival of franchises that will compete for the same eyeballs and $100 bills.

“[T]he league has been successful without a team there and so has L.A.,” Spanos said. “There are a lot of issues. And you have to sell 24 of the 32 owners that it’s a good investment. It’s a ways down the line, and I’m not sure it has the votes.”

In contrast, Patriots owner Robert Kraft recently said he wants to see a team return to Los Angeles within two or three years. For now, we’ll take the over. And if Spanos has his way, the over will be never.

Unless, of course, the Chargers are the team that moves to L.A.

The San Antonio Express-News reports the Raiders are exploring the possibility of moving to San Antonio.
According to reporters Josh Baugh and Tom Orsborn, Raiders owner Mark Davis and his "two top lieutenants" recently met with San Antonio officials to discuss a potential move. Davis' visit is believed to have begun on July 18, and lasted 2-3 days. San Antonio has the Alamodome ready to go as a temporary venue, but it wouldn't be a better long-term solution than Oakland's O.co Coliseum. San Antonio is no stranger to being leveraged in stadium talks. It's quite possible Davis is simply trying to ramp up the heat on Oakland.

Alamodome will do until they can get a stadium...s**t. Didn't San Antonio host the Saints after Katrina?

I genuinely don't know if you're saying it's stupid because "Of course i'd still support them", or if it's a case of "Of course I wouldn't support them"...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Omg it's even more stupid if you don't know whether me saying it's stupid is because I would or stupid because I wouldn't.

Everything about this is stupid now.

If he has stuck by them over the last 10 years....
And why would I dump them if they left California...like I have to only support a cali team. So what like that I'm a niners or Chargers fan after 40 years of hating them. Plus im from Texas originally anyway so apparently that wouldn't matter. And more so I was there from Oakland to LA back to Oakland. So. Plus I'm a raider.

In saying all that, it's not right if the Raiders are not in California or nearby.

And why would I dump them if they left California...like I have to only support a cali team. So what like that I'm a niners or Chargers fan after 40 years of hating them. Plus im from Texas originally anyway so apparently that wouldn't matter. And more so I was there from Oakland to LA back to Oakland. So. Plus I'm a raider.

In saying all that, it's not right if the Raiders are not in California or nearby.

That's all you had to say.

I would have stopped supporting North Melbourne if they'd relocated to the Gold Coast, and i've been a diehard supporter for 25 years. It's a fair question I thought.

That's all you had to say.

I would have stopped supporting North Melbourne if they'd relocated to the Gold Coast, and i've been a diehard supporter for 25 years. It's a fair question I thought.

It was fun to tease tho :p

Fair question for a North fan. Not for a raider fan. We coin the idea raider till I die.

What happened to the Raiders potentially looking at Portland?

It's different though, relocation is a more accepted thing in American sports. In addition to that, over here you're following it from afar without the same geographical connection to a team.

What happened to the Raiders potentially looking at Portland?

It's different though, relocation is a more accepted thing in American sports. In addition to that, over here you're following it from afar without the same geographical connection to a team.

Mark Davis wants Oakland City project badly. San Antonio will get blocked by Jerry Jones and Houston's owner. Places like Portland are an option. Sacramento would be even better. Santa Clara a last resort. I think LA is still possible. There could be a weird situation where the Raiders play out of San Antonio for a few years till Oakland City project gets built, but that's weird.

Of equal concern is St Louis and San Diego. St Louis got rejected for stadium upgrades that are NFL-required, so they're imo definitely relocating to LA. San Diego might have something to say about that as they consider LA their territory too (games blacked out there if Qualcomm doesnt sell out). And their stadium too is not NFL-caliber.

I dunno man, there's a lot of uncertainty right now.

CBS' Jason La Canfora reports Raiders owner Mark Davis has "intensified his desire" to move to Los Angeles.
Per sources, Davis has been "spending oodles of time in the area." The report comes on the same day the San Antonio Express-News reported a Raiders move to Texas is a "long shot." What's clear is that Davis is tired of getting nowhere in talks with Oakland. Whether he's looking for leverage or serious about moving, Davis is upping the ante on the Bay Area.

I would prefer them to stay in Oakland, but it really is not looking like a Stadium deal is going to take place there. Could live with them going to LA, but would be pretty disappointed if the moved anywhere else. Having said that, would still be a Raider, have followed them though 10+ years of shite and mediocrity, so not going to jump off now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back