Traded Lachie Henderson [traded to Geelong for 2016 first round pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

A few points to consider:

Whatever pick Geelong end up with, it will drop a few places with academy picks, maybe free agency compo pick(Kruezer or Luey?) and maybe Adelaide's Danger compo pick if the Cats slip above Adelaide.

So Geelong's 1st pick could still end up effectively being around 13-15 or so.

Also, Cal Twomey was saying just yesterday that according to Club recruiters, there appears to be a few groupings appearing in the draft. There seems to be a Top 7 or 8 top end talents. Then a group pretty equal between 8 to 20. Then another group between about 20 to 30 before a drop off in quality.

So, a team, say Geelong, with a Pick anywhere between say 10 -14 is firmly in that even middle grouping and the exact number mightn't matter much to Geelong or Carlton. If it were Pick 7 or 8, then that would be a different ball game.

I still see Henderson and 21 for 10 and 29 as the likely logical trade for both Clubs, and the player, if Geelong miss the 8.

If Geelong make the 8, i can see the trade being Henderson for 1st Rounder this year OR next year. I think that would be Geelong's choice. They could back themselves in that with Danger, Hendo, Selwood, Stanley etc that that pick might be middle to high teens next year after the usual additions to draft order get factored in.

Time will tell

A few points to consider:

Whatever pick Geelong end up with, it will drop a few places with academy picks, maybe free agency compo pick(Kruezer or Luey?) and maybe Adelaide's Danger compo pick if the Cats slip above Adelaide.

So Geelong's 1st pick could still end up effectively being around 13-15 or so.

Also, Cal Twomey was saying just yesterday that according to Club recruiters, there appears to be a few groupings appearing in the draft. There seems to be a Top 7 or 8 top end talents. Then a group pretty equal between 8 to 20. Then another group between about 20 to 30 before a drop off in quality.

So, a team, say Geelong, with a Pick anywhere between say 10 -14 is firmly in that even middle grouping and the exact number mightn't matter much to Geelong or Carlton. If it were Pick 7 or 8, then that would be a different ball game.

I still see Henderson and 21 for 10 and 29 as the likely logical trade for both Clubs, and the player, if Geelong miss the 8.

If Geelong make the 8, i can see the trade being Henderson for 1st Rounder this year OR next year. I think that would be Geelong's choice. They could back themselves in that with Danger, Hendo, Selwood, Stanley etc that that pick might be middle to high teens next year after the usual additions to draft order get factored in.

Time will tell
Now that Geelong have fallen down the ladder and will likely have pick 7 or 8, it seems unlikely that it will be apart of the possible trade. Realistically what can offer with our second rounder to get the job done?

Now that Geelong have fallen down the ladder and will likely have pick 7 or 8, it seems unlikely that it will be apart of the possible trade. Realistically what can offer with our second rounder to get the job done?

Realistically no - because word is strong that Collingwood want him more.

Realistically no - because word is strong that Collingwood want him more.
Collingwood get Henderson?
Wow that's interesting.
Would Carlton accept collingwoods second rounder?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Henderson and Menzel for Geelongs first in 2015 & 2016 and its a done deal.

I think we'd want something coming back the other way consisting or first this year will be high. At least a swap of second rounders. That would still be overs but if you pay a good chunk of Menzels contact we might be happy to give that up.

I think we'd want something coming back the other way consisting or first this year will be high. At least a swap of second rounders. That would still be overs but if you pay a good chunk of Menzels contact we might be happy to give that up.

I coukd live with that, purely because i expect your rebuild this yer to fail miserably and next year you will finish bottom 6 and we would get another top pick.

Some recent examples if it was Henderson and 21 for pick 7

2010 Josh Caddy v Henderson and Lamb
2011 Nick Haynes v Henderson and Bootsma
2012: Olly wines v Henderson and Hrovat
2013: James Aish v Henderson and Impey

and the one cat fans will remember
2006: Joel Selwood v Henderson and Urquart

You have to question if two are better than one. To suggest more needs to come back Carlton's way in the form of Geelongs second pick as well just seems ludicrous

Geelong would be better off trying to slightly upgrade their second pick to 21 or 22 which is what all neutral supporters think an uncontracted, 26 yr old that isn't in the best 150 players in the comp is worth.

Some recent examples if it was Henderson and 21 for pick 7

2010 Josh Caddy v Henderson and Lamb
2011 Nick Haynes v Henderson and Bootsma
2012: Olly wines v Henderson and Hrovat
2013: James Aish v Henderson and Impey

and the one cat fans will remember
2006: Joel Selwood v Henderson and Urquart

You have to question if two are better than one. To suggest more needs to come back Carlton's way in the form of Geelongs second pick as well just seems ludicrous

Geelong would be better off trying to slightly upgrade their second pick to 21 or 22 which is what all neutral supporters think an uncontracted, 26 yr old that isn't in the best 150 players in the comp is worth.

I think thats quite fair.

The problem i see is that from Carltons point of view, we need as many picks as we can get early in the draft as we don't have a lot of talented youngsters so these 2 for 1's probably aren't great for us, even though we'd be securing higher end talent.

Collingwood get Henderson?
Wow that's interesting.
Would Carlton accept collingwoods second rounder?

Nah surely Collingwoods second rounder isn't enough.
Gotta remember that its most likely clubs want him to play as KPD...Hendo has been average the last few years as a forward, but was a really good KPD a few years ago. This is the form clubs are expecting from him and thus i think we can expect a bit more back when not based on this years output.

Makes sense for Collingwood though...they have young KPD's and injury prone ones like Brown and Reid.

Carlton draft these blokes with a R1 pick, fail to develop them - stop playing them and then want a R1 pick again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back