Toast Lachie Weller

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I must admit, all this talk of Weller already looking for a trade out of the club to be with his family is worrying me.
Based on a couple of saints fans looking at his Instagram photos? I've heard indirectly many times that player x is going to come home after his two years. Almost every time this proves to be false. I remember an interview with Leon Davis saying he thought he was coming home after two years as soon as he got drafted. He never left until his career was over. Many players say they want to move back to their family. Most just get used to it. One thing is for certain, if yesterday was anything to go by he'll be looked at by many Victorian clubs. If he plays games and St Kilda don't get bottom four good luck getting him in the psd and he'll go to whoever offers the highest pick.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
What's this great ball use? Im sure he's good in this department but he didnt show it on the weekend. I never trust someone that kicks the ball from the side. Comes from the school of D.Pearce; his kicking looks good when it comes off, but hardly does.

Looks a exciting prospect tho.

What the...?

electricfeel

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
Based on a couple of saints fans looking at his Instagram photos? I've heard indirectly many times that player x is going to come home after his two years. Almost every time this proves to be false. I remember an interview with Leon Davis saying he thought he was coming home after two years as soon as he got drafted. He never left until his career was over. Many players say they want to move back to their family. Most just get used to it. One thing is for certain, if yesterday was anything to go by he'll be looked at by many Victorian clubs. If he plays games and St Kilda don't get bottom four good luck getting him in the psd and he'll go to whoever offers the highest pick.
He has more photos with Blakely and Langdon than he does with Victorian players like Hugh Goddard etc. While his family live in Melbourne, it appears his girlfriend lives in the Gold Coast...sooo everyone is all over the place. Saints fans probably being wishful, just like we are with Jesse Hogan.

Mezz

Club Legend
Aug 27, 2010
unceded Wangkatha lands, W.A.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
He has more photos with Blakely and Langdon than he does with Victorian players like Hugh Goddard etc. While his family live in Melbourne, it appears his girlfriend lives in the Gold Coast...sooo everyone is all over the place. Saints fans probably being wishful, just like we are with Jesse Hogan.

I think we should move the GF over to Perth.

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
The reason people are calling for it is because they have been calling for his inclusion since day dot and having earned his spot has made an immediate impact they believe that vindicates the weekly demanding of his inclusion.

However what is being missed here is he was blowing up after a couple of touches yesterday, was on his haunches in between touches and seemed to be a lacking in the fitness department with the pace up another notch from what he is used to. Was still huffing and puffing in his post match interview. Surely you play him as a sub for an impact player with speed and great ball use late in the piece to expose the opposition rather than play him from the start and have him cooked by half time.

And yet all round the league, first year players are playing 4 quarters and doing well, like Miller at Gold Coast and Brayshaw at Melbourne, Duggan at West Coast, The Collingwood kid whose name escapes me.
I do take your point and we do have that luxury but its weird that posters on here say he's not built for AFL yet or not fit. He's been through all the elite systems that these other kids have been through. And does this look like a skinny kid?
CLaM5HhUAAA2qM-.jpg

What's this great ball use? Im sure he's good in this department but he didnt show it on the weekend. I never trust someone that kicks the ball from the side. Comes from the school of D.Pearce; his kicking looks good when it comes off, but hardly does.

Looks a exciting prospect tho.

I'm kind of thinking you are joking. Weller has one of the simplest, most effortless kicking actions I've ever seen. Watch him at training in kick to kick he's got a perfect kicking action. His hands barely move and he just lets it go, no effort onto the leg that is coming as straight through as it gets. It may be that because he was running the boundary and needed to square it for most of his disposals it looked like he was kicking from the side but trust me, his kicking is not something to worry about.

And yet all round the league, first year players are playing 4 quarters and doing well, like Miller at Gold Coast and Brayshaw at Melbourne, Duggan at West Coast, The Collingwood kid whose name escapes me.
I do take your point and we do have that luxury but its weird that posters on here say he's not built for AFL yet or not fit. He's been through all the elite systems that these other kids have been through. And does this look like a skinny kid?
Mate, address my post if you are going to quote it. I never called him a skinny kid, and I didn't say he wasn't fit. I also wouldn't call the NEAFL or WAFL terribly elite systems. It seems you are addressing your gripes with other posters from old threads whilst quoting my unrelated post. Not sure why, particularly when you tend to agree with the gist of my post.

I realise you have a serious man crush and am not taking that away from you. But if you were watching him so closely you too should have seen him on his haunches and sucking in the deep breaths pretty early on. Not saying he won't get there but saying we can afford to ease him in via the vest until he adapts. Without caring too much about other clubs and their draftees, I'm pretty sure you would find that most were eased into it via the vest also. If not, well we have that luxury, they don't.

I think you are blinded a tad by your will for him to force his way in and stay in. That's fine. I really don't want to get into it with you because I am absolutely sick and tired of all of the arguing in here and don't actually feel too different to you, it was a great debut and he has earned his chance. I'm just making a fairly calm, fairly objective assessment. Keeping the lid on if you will, didn't think it came across as a negative at all, just realistic.

You'll even see a following post of mine defending his disposal and ball use.

Have quoted and bolded my actual points below just to be super clear.
However what is being missed here is he was blowing up after a couple of touches yesterday, was on his haunches in between touches and seemed to be a lacking in the fitness department with the pace up another notch from what he is used to. Was still huffing and puffing in his post match interview. Surely you play him as a sub for an impact player with speed and great ball use late in the piece to expose the opposition rather than play him from the start and have him cooked by half time.

He will be better for being eased in with a few green vests until he gets used to the pace and fitness requirements of AFL footy. I'm not sure on yesterday's effort he could handle 3 quarters let alone a full game. The worst thing a side can do is play an underdone or under prepared player that forces their hand into an early sub, particularly with the risk of injury ruining the best of plans.

EDIT: On second thoughts, maybe you weren't at the game, then I could understand you might not have seen him in between plays. Having watched the replay anybody who just saw it on telly could have missed seeing that in between involvements he was definitely struggling to get a lung full in and was haunched over pretty dramatically after his first couple of touches.

Last edited:

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Mate, address my post if you are going to quote it. I never called him a skinny kid, and I didn't say he wasn't fit. I also wouldn't call the NEAFL or WAFL terribly elite systems. It seems you are addressing your gripes with other posters from old threads whilst quoting my unrelated post. Not sure why, particularly when you tend to agree with the gist of my post.

I realise you have a serious man crush and am not taking that away from you. But if you were watching him so closely you too should have seen him on his haunches and sucking in the deep breaths pretty early on. Not saying he won't get there but saying we can afford to ease him in via the vest until he adapts. Without caring too much about other clubs and their draftees, I'm pretty sure you would find that most were eased into it via the vest also. If not, well we have that luxury, they don't.

I think you are blinded a tad by your will for him to force his way in and stay in. That's fine. I really don't want to get into it with you because I am absolutely sick and tired of all of the arguing in here and don't actually feel too different to you, it was a great debut and he has earned his chance. I'm just making a fairly calm, fairly objective assessment. Keeping the lid on if you will, didn't think it came across as a negative at all, just realistic.

You'll even see a following post of mine defending his disposal and ball use.

Have quoted and bolded my actual points below just to be super clear.

EDIT: On second thoughts, maybe you weren't at the game, then I could understand you might not have seen him in between plays. Having watched the replay anybody who just saw it on telly could have missed seeing that in between involvements he was definitely struggling to get a lung full in and was haunched over pretty dramatically after his first couple of touches.
I was more thinking of the under 18 programs and grooming they go through these days. Kids come into the system now virtually plug and play in terms of understanding the requirements and knowing how to eat and prepare. Of course there is no substitute for a proper AFL pre-season.
I'm not addressing gripes. i just think its an interesting subject. We've had kids like Hill and Fyfe who were physically less developed than Lachie or Connor played almost all their first years and yet people have suggested these 2 aren't ready for AFL.
I do get that we have the luxury of easing them in now but I also think that when you are good enough you are ready and I hope to see him stay in the side from this point. But I guess I've said that enough ;)
I wasn't meaning to sound argumentative and I didn't have an issue with your post, I just think its interesting.
I was at the game but I follow the ball a lot. I looked around for Lachie a few times but didn't notice him looking puffed out, I'm sure you're right.

I was more thinking of the under 18 programs and grooming they go through these days. Kids come into the system now virtually plug and play in terms of understanding the requirements and knowing how to eat and prepare. Of course there is no substitute for a proper AFL pre-season.
I'm not addressing gripes. i just think its an interesting subject. We've had kids like Hill and Fyfe who were physically less developed than Lachie or Connor played almost all their first years and yet people have suggested these 2 aren't ready for AFL.
I do get that we have the luxury of easing them in now but I also think that when you are good enough you are ready and I hope to see him stay in the side from this point. But I guess I've said that enough ;)
I wasn't meaning to sound argumentative and I didn't have an issue with your post, I just think its interesting.
I was at the game but I follow the ball a lot. I looked around for Lachie a few times but didn't notice him looking puffed out, I'm sure you're right.
Yeah I agree pretty much with all of that mate :thumbsu:

I would to see him stay in too now that he is in and has shown a bit. To be honest I think you can make a pretty strong case for several others to come out of the side from the weekend ahead of Weller.

I watched him around the ground and noticed him breathing hard between plays. I was curious as to his running patterns and how involved he'd be in the play - so spent the quarter watching him. For a debut he did great, but definitely not full game capable yet. He'd fade out after a half. Got involved in play, and occasionally looked a little lost in where to go, but was slick when involved.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

mightydockers

Senior List
May 25, 2009
western australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
I watched him around the ground and noticed him breathing hard between plays. I was curious as to his running patterns and how involved he'd be in the play - so spent the quarter watching him. For a debut he did great, but definitely not full game capable yet. He'd fade out after a half. Got involved in play, and occasionally looked a little lost in where to go, but was slick when involved.

He looked exhausted didn't he? Nerves can certainly add to that though.

Yeah like I said, he'd be cooked by half time. Better to play him in the vest until he adapts to the aerobic requirements, particularly playing on a wing. Doesn't mean the kid isn't fit, but the gut running and repeat efforts required in the AFL is a huge step up from WAFL.

Did notice he was getting directed around a bit by the senior blokes too, all things you would expect from a debutant. Not a knock on him but I think we need to temper expectations just a little, he's not a ready made AFL player, will take at least a few games yet to adjust and adapt.

Last edited:

scon

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2009
western australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Long haired Champs.
Without a point to make...
Josh Simpson was also sporadically knackered during his debut;it's more normal than strange.
Maybe there's some difference between creative and negating players/roles.Diesels and petrols??...dunno really.
Nerves,youth and inexperience certainly contribute.You've been selected as an impact sub which affects your instruction and approach.You're sent on to blow Tayl0r 's socks off.It's intense.
You don't get the opportunity to work your way into the game and benefit from the magic of the second wind.
Lachie has always been an elite runner but I think we can all concede the game is unrecognisable in terms of aerobic-athletic demands;ie if Blakely is the reincarnation of Chops he'll run further,quicker.
Our game plan is lung-busting.
They'll both be in the 22 soon and for the foreseeable.
We've got a good,improving list;not perfect but I think I remember RTB saying that concept is a fiction.
"We're a work in progress."....rings a bell.

I was thinking more of Bon Scott myself:

Lach up your daughter,
Lach up your wife
Lach up your Weller
And run for your life

...but yeah - yours was better moo. :thumbsu:

I liked yours right up until I had a visual of Lach72

Fyfeyfan95

Senior List
Feb 25, 2012
Port kennedy
AFL Club
Fremantle

Its a good read isnt it? Gee they are bitter..

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I think Weller is being developed beautifully and that being sub is a great part of that introduction. He has just had a wonderful first experience of AFL, and will be keen for more. He will also know that he fits but still has a long way to go.

Confidence is important. If he started on field and actually cannot handle the fitness, it is a negative for the team. Perhaps even enough for us to lose a game. No one would want that. It would be a big responsibility for a first gamer.

Hill and Fyfe came in at a different stage of our team's development, under a game plan that was far less demanding physically and in the roles required of players.

Back