Ladder Predictor

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha You must be a half empty sort of guy Vdubs-we lost one game for the year and you some 'real concerns'. Crikey. Little wonder you re worried about this season.;)
And we faltered v Dogs, got wounded v Saints, and I'm not worried at all about this year as I have some lower expectations / hopes than I did back then.
In 08, it was ours to lose if ever there was a case of that happening.

Last edited:
And we faltered v Dogs, got wounded v Saints, and I'm not worried at all about this year as I have some lower expectations / hopes than I did back then.
In 08, it was ours to lose if ever there was a case of that happening.
Spot on. Except I thought we beat the Saints with ease.

there were various factors which played a part in that game though, Lonergan would have played on Franklin and he wouldn't get as much room to do as he pleases. Lonergan completely blanketed him twice last year and although it's no guarantee he would have done so again, it's a good bet he would not have had so much room to gather a ton of possessions, marks and goals/score involvements.
We were playing our third game in 12 days, how many of those previous teams thumped by 100+ had to front up under those circumstances?

(no Caddy, Christensen, Enright or Kersten either who are all significant ins to our team structures)

Even adding in all the best case scenarios our clearance work just isn't good enough to win a flag.

The good sides will beat us in the middle and hit up quick forwards who will leave our old and slow defenders for dead.

We have a better chance against the Colas than Freo but we need a few of them to get injured for us to get close away from home.

They gave us a scare in the 08 prelim too from memory. I think it was a 20 something point win but I was not relaxed at any time during that game!

I remember getting a free ticket to that game. The margin was around 5 goals and it was close to that for most of the game. Apart from the Kangaroos Qualifying Final the year before, I don't think I've been more relaxed during a finals game. Funny how people view things so differently :)

I remember getting a free ticket to that game. The margin was around 5 goals and it was close to that for most of the game. Apart from the Kangaroos Qualifying Final the year before, I don't think I've been more relaxed during a finals game. Funny how people view things so differently :)

Was it?! I remember feeling horrid throughout the entire game, and wondering why we were playing so poorly. Perhaps our close call in the 07 prelim exacerbated the experience :confused:

They gave us a scare in the 08 prelim too from memory. I think it was a 20 something point win but I was not relaxed at any time during that game!
Was it?! I remember feeling horrid throughout the entire game, and wondering why we were playing so poorly. Perhaps our close call in the 07 prelim exacerbated the experience :confused:
It's all relative. When your average winning margin for the home and away season is 52 points, then 29 points probably feels a bit close for comfort. But in 2014 we'd probably think a 29 point win over a top four opponent is pretty resounding!

The Bulldogs didn't kick a goal in the last 45 minutes of that match. It was a low-scoring and somewhat scrappy win, but soon after quarter time the result was never in doubt.

It's all relative. When your average winning margin for the home and away season is 52 points, then 29 points probably feels a bit close for comfort. But in 2014 we'd probably think a 29 point win over a top four opponent is pretty resounding!

The Bulldogs didn't kick a goal in the last 45 minutes of that match. It was a low-scoring and somewhat scrappy win, but soon after quarter time the result was never in doubt.

Too true! I'd love a 29 point win over any top 8 team these days :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you would be surprised at how many teams who have won the flag have actually been beaten in clearances on the day.
Not just grand finals but throughout September, the winning team doesn't necessarily have comprehensive clearance totals versus their opposition. I do agree with what your saying though, we seem to currently lack one genuine 'gun' midfielder. Someone like a Sloane who is 24/25yrs of age but is always going to get 5 clearances along with the 25 possessions out of the middle.

I think we just have to be patient. We've got Christensen, plus 3 midfielders coming through (Guthrie, Caddy and Horlin-Smith in order of experience), and they've all got their best footy ahead of them. Plus potentially Lang and Jansen. Still think another season or two and they'll all be way more productive.

In what way?
Injuries.
We lost Prismall, who had finally found his niche, and I have no doubt would have been there GF day.
Chappy did his hamstring
SJ also got a significant corked Hamstring
Milburn badly damaged thumb ligaments.
That's just what I recall; I am sure there were others who were battered.
We lost the last Q and were coasting, but sitting there, it looked as if we were really labouring.
The Prelim, despite the week off, and, despite being a much better team, we really struggled to get into gear and looked sluggish.
Yes, we looked that way v Pies in 07 Prelim, and we know how that eventuated the week after, but we were really wounded in the Prelim. Varcoe, Stokes were both injured that pm, not widely publicised.
Anyway, that is all in the past, and it's not edifying really, going over all these bad memories when there are so many great memories between 2007 and now.

Injuries.
We lost Prismall, who had finally found his niche, and I have no doubt would have been there GF day.
Chappy did his hamstring
SJ also got a significant corked Hamstring
Milburn badly damaged thumb ligaments.
That's just what I recall; I am sure there were others who were battered.
We lost the last Q and were coasting, but sitting there, it looked as if we were really labouring.
The Prelim, despite the week off, and, despite being a much better team, we really struggled to get into gear and looked sluggish.
Yes, we looked that way v Pies in 07 Prelim, and we know how that eventuated the week after, but we were really wounded in the Prelim. Varcoe, Stokes were both injured that pm, not widely publicised.
Anyway, that is all in the past, and it's not edifying really, going over all these bad memories when there are so many great memories between 2007 and now.
Ok thanks -had forgotten all that, funny isn't it. I knew we went into the GF with lots of injures though-number 1 rule of what not to do! Thought Kelly was injured too?
I thought we looked nervous in 2007 prelim rather than sluggish and went into the GF in peak form, but no matter. As you say, it seems a long time ago now and we have been so lucky after that. Thank goodness.

My ladder predictor:

Sydney 72 141.2 %
Freo 68 134.5 %
Geelong 68 116.2 %
Hawthorn 60 134.9 %
North 56 119.4 %
Essendon 56 115.1 %
Gold Coast 56 105.3 %
Port 52 125.2 %
Pies 52 110.4 %

Has Sydney winning all remaining games.
Hawthorn lose to Sydney, Freo and Geelong
Port lose to Sydney Freo Gold Coast and Collingwood, beat Carlton and Melbourne
Geelong lose to Freo and win all it's other games
Collingwood lose to Hawthorn and WC but beat Adelaide Port Brisbane and GWS
North lose to Geelong and win the rest
Suns lose to Bombers but beat Lions STK Port Carlton and WC

Week 1 Finals: Sydney vs Hawthorn MCG Sydney by 6 points 40k
Freo vs Geelong Patersons Stadium Freo by 20 points 45k
Essendon vs Gold Coast MCG Bombers by 30 points 50k
North vs Port Adelaide Etihad Stadium North by 12 points 25k

Week 2
Geelong vs Essendon MCG Geelong by 30 points 65k
Hawthorn vs North Melb MCG Hawthorn by 15 points 60k

Week 3
Fremantle vs Hawthorn Patersons Freo by 25 points 45k
Sydney vs Geelong SCG Sydney by 12 points 40k

GF
Sydney vs Fremantle MCG Sydney by 8 points 85k

For us Freo being 2nd and Geelong 3rd is the worst result as I think our hardest 1st final would be in Perth given Freo's dominance over us and our interstate record.
I am very confident of beating Hawthorn and fairly 50/50 on Sydney interstate.
It's why we must beat Freo if we can, win all remaining games and our worst result is Freo at MCG which is a lot better for us than them over there

Last edited:
Yep pretty well how I see it. But if we beat Freo, we finish second and play first final at mcg

My ladder predictor:

Sydney 72 141.2 %
Freo 68 134.5 %
Geelong 68 116.2 %
Hawthorn 60 134.9 %
North 56 119.4 %
Essendon 56 115.1 %
Gold Coast 56 105.3 %
Port 52 125.2 %
Pies 52 110.4 %

Has Sydney winning all remaining games.
Hawthorn lose to Sydney, Freo and Geelong
Port lose to Sydney Freo Gold Coast and Collingwood, beat Carlton and Melbourne
Geelong lose to Freo and win all it's other games
Collingwood lose to Hawthorn and WC but beat Adelaide Port Brisbane and GWS
North lose to Geelong and win the rest
Suns lose to Bombers but beat Lions STK Port Carlton and WC

Week 1 Finals: Sydney vs Hawthorn MCG Sydney by 6 points 40k
Freo vs Geelong Patersons Stadium Freo by 20 points 45k
Essendon vs Gold Coast MCG Bombers by 30 points 50k
North vs Port Adelaide Etihad Stadium North by 12 points 25k

Week 2
Geelong vs Essendon MCG Geelong by 30 points 65k
Hawthorn vs North Melb MCG Hawthorn by 15 points 60k

Week 3
Fremantle vs Hawthorn Patersons Freo by 25 points 45k
Sydney vs Geelong SCG Sydney by 12 points 40k

GF
Sydney vs Fremantle MCG Sydney by 8 points 85k

For us Freo being 2nd and Geelong 3rd is the worst result as I think our hardest 1st final would be in Perth given Freo's dominance over us and our interstate record.
I am very confident of beating Hawthorn and fairly 50/50 on Sydney interstate.
It's why we must beat Freo if we can, win all remaining games and our worst result is Freo at MCG which is a lot better for us than them over there
Why is it impossible for us to turn this result around?

If the Cats can get the win tonight....

St.Kilda d. Fremantle
Geelong d. GWS
Sydney ($1.72) d. Hawthorn ($2.15)

Ladder after Round 18:
1. Sydney 56
2. Geelong 52
3. Hawthorn 48
4. Fremantle 48
5. Port Adelaide 48

Why is it impossible for us to turn this result around?

Its not impossible but each time we lose to freo its with the same tactics. We would have to make significant tactical changes and i have seen little evidence the players and coaches are willing to do so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back