1. SPT brings you the latest in amateur sports tracking device. Check your speed, distance and heart rate through games.

Use the coupon code “BIGFOOTY” for a $15.00 discount - while stock lasts

2. Congratulations to referee and wpotter for tipping 8/9 and 11 points off the tie-breaker margin. FREE Platinum BFSC for you!

Get your tips in!

Lance Armstrong formally charged with doping

Discussion in 'Cycling' started by Slax, Jun 14, 2012.

Put it out there
  1. blackcat

blackcat Club Legend

Richmond
    Other teams:
    That is one of my favourite sites on the interwebz. And this site by Captain T Bag. More Glorious Than Hookers And Blow. Its a big laff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. blackcat

blackcat Club Legend

Richmond
    Other teams:
  3. rickyp

rickyp Team Captain

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    I'm not entirely sure why you've quoted my post to say this...
  4. blackcat

blackcat Club Legend

Richmond
    Other teams:
    did I, let me check now. coulda been just a clumsy method to reply to the thread, no post in particular, sry in this case. lemme check
  5. blackcat

blackcat Club Legend

Richmond
    Other teams:
    ok, rickyp here is where I was at.

I think Armstrong as symbol of hope is valid. Not the person. But the catalyst. The fact that he was a fraud and took dozens of 150k speaking engagements on Livestrong dime, means little, the criminality speaks for itself. But people got inspiration, that ultimately resided inside themself, not an external locus of control, tho they thought so at the time.

For me, Armstrong and the cycling fanbase, were mutually exclusive. Cycling + Armstrongs army, during his reign. Then they went away. The bike industry and statistics of sales, do not show any material change in the market that existed before Armstrong. the Lemond era. In Australia, cycling is indeed the new golf. Did not need to quote the Orica ceo for that patently obvious acknowledgement.

Some stayed interested in cycling after the Armstrong epoch. Concede that. Also, many have been lost because of this Festina mkII, and the greatest fraud in the history of sport, and the words of the indefatigable Betsy Andreau.

6. RussellEbertHandball

RussellEbertHandball BFSC Gold

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    The Mighty Blacks
    Which high jumper blackcat ?? I probably don't know their profile - don't know too many high jumpers stuff, but I know where to find it on the IAAF website.

Vinnicombe was married to Lucy Tyler-Sharman. I'm not sure if she was a nut job or the whole cycling triangle of her, Charlie Walsh and Kathy Watt would drive anyone around the bend.

Vinnicombe looked a sad figure in last night's report. He looked like a dispirited man. Not sure if that is the fall out from cycling or more personal issues are involved.
  7. blackcat

blackcat Club Legend

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Liu Jiang. The 110 m high hurdles

he was a high-jumper first.

yeah, I knew his first American wife, had a hyphenated name. My memory could just not pull it out. ouch
  8. blackcat

blackcat Club Legend

Richmond
    Other teams:
    http://reason.com/archives/2012/11/17/defending-lance-armstrong

Savulescu would accord

and Jason Mazanov, who gave a good lecture for Martin Hardies doping symposium in 2011
    Jason Mazanov (School of Business, UNSW)
    Dr Jason Mazanov, a Senior Lecturer with UNSW, research focus looks at how social science can inform the management of drugs in sport. He is editor of the book “Towards a Social Science of Drugs in Sport”. Dr Mazanov is currently working on how managing doping in society (e.g. brain doping by university students) can inform the second generation of policies governing drugs in sport. Building the Second Generation of Policies to Manage Drugs in Sport
    The wisdom learned through the anti-doping policy experiment provides a platform for developing a second generation of policies to manage the role of drugs in sport. For example, the anti-doping policy focus on legalistic “detect and punish” prioritises the integrity of sport above that of athlete welfare. This policy provides little scope for evidence-based, best practice drug treatment or the difference between doping and licit (e.g. alcohol) and illicit (e.g. ecstasy) drug use. Alternative policy paradigms (and their implications) are offered with different foci, including health-based harm minimisation, muscular Christianity, and returning “fun and joy” to be the central value of sport.
  9. RussellEbertHandball

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    The Mighty Blacks
    Ah yeah Liu was a national junior high jump champion.

According to David Wallechinsky and his complete book of the Olympics 2012 edition, he won a national high jump championship in 4th grade after being selected for a junior sports school. He then was asked to leave after they did bone tests on him and it showed he wouldn't grow tall enough to be a high jumper.

From 2001 the Chinese Institute of Sport Science filmed almost every one of his races often with 3 simultaneous cameras.

From his profile - his first time is as a 16 year old.
    http://www.iaaf.org/athletes/pr-of-china/xiang-liu#progression

He is 190cm which is 9cms more than swede Stefan Holm who won the high jump in 2004 at Athens and a few world /world indoor championships. Most gold and minor medalists at Olympic and world champs tend to be between 195cms and 200cms.
  10. RussellEbertHandball

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    The Mighty Blacks
    From last night's 7.30 story

As reporter Cooper was introducing Hardie, Hardie was reading his book
    "I WISH I WAS TWENTY ONE NOW - beyond Doping in the Australian Peleton. Martin Hardie David Shilbury Claudio Bozzi and Ianto Ware. Has anyone read it??

I found the following links
    download the book at
    http://www.newcyclingpathway.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/21-NOW-FINAL-.pdf

A couple of articles before Hardie and co. released their report/book and their conference in September 2010.

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/northern...institutionalised-corruption-both-or-neither/

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/northern...-man-beyond-doping-in-the-australian-peleton/

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2012/s3636212.htm

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2012/s3636212.htm
  11. blackcat

blackcat Club Legend

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Stefan Holm had a 9 foot noggin on a two foot frame

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Wallaby

Wallaby All Australian

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Stefan Holm was a freak. Talk about hurdles/high jump - he was a pretty useful hurdler as well.

13. blackcat

blackcat Club Legend

Richmond
    Other teams:
    its a fricken effort just to get his head up to my head height with such a watermelon. :thumbsu:
  14. RussellEbertHandball

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    The Mighty Blacks
    Nice article in today's Weekend Australian magazine by Sunday Times journo David Walsh. It was a copy of his article 3 Sunday's ago detailing how he didn't believe Armstrong way back in 1999 when he won his first TDF, him writing that and getting offside with the Armstrong camp from then.

If the link doesn't work because of News Ltd blocking it with their digital pass, just copy the first paragraph into Google and do a search and click on the Australian's link. You can't dodge the Sunday Times link and the velonews link has a couple of paragraphs and then links you to the Sunday Times. The Sunday Times article is titled Lance, the lies and me but the Oz's article is titled

Blood, sweat and lies

IT IS 3.30 on a grey Monday afternoon and I look at a phone that is going to ring. It hasn't stopped all day. It won't stop. "About Lance Armstrong and today's news, are you available to do an interview?" Canada, Australia, New Zealand, France, the US, Ireland, Holland, Belgium and so many closer to home. No, no, no, yes, no, no, no, no, yes, no, no, no, yes, no, no, no, no.

This is the day, October 22, 2012, that Armstrong has been officially declared an outcast, banished from the sport by his own people - cycling's governing body, Union Cycliste Internationale. Its president, Pat McQuaid, said the former seven-time Tour de France winner "has no place in cycling".....

Blood, sweat and lies

I hadn't heard this story before

and his story at the end of the tour

He questions his colleagues desire to dig

and

But Walsh met Armstrong in 1993

There lot's more I could just cut and paste most of the article.
    Bond.ShaneBond likes this.
  15. Xtreme

Xtreme Club Legend

Hawthorn Hawthorn - 2013 Premiers
    Other teams:
    I saw a lot of LIVESTRONG merchandise at Rebel Sport yesterday, but i was surprised it wasn't reduced or put in a bargain bin
  16. blue gunslinger

blue gunslinger BFSC Platinum

Carlton
    Other teams:
    www.wablues.com
    hope the yellow Oakleys go on sale some time
    Freakie likes this.
  17. pepsi

pepsi Team Captain

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Man Utd, Atlanta Hawks
    Thanks for posting that article. It says a lot about Armstrong and I would urge any person who still claims la as a hero, to read it. What la said about Walsh's son goes way beyond the line and shows what he would be willing to say abput people to claim thr highground.
  18. blackcat

blackcat Club Legend

Richmond
    Other teams:
  19. alfy!

alfy! Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Bradley Wiggins on Lance in this weeks The Guardian Weekly:

did lol
  20. blackcat

blackcat Club Legend

Richmond
    Other teams:
    hypocrite.

Brad, stfu!
  21. RussellEbertHandball

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    The Mighty Blacks
    Thanks for the link blackcat. Had a quick skim read, will give it a longer read in the next couple of days. I reckon I watched the 2nd half of the program when it was on - probably flicking between Sports World with Bruce and Sunday back then. Sport Minister Jackie Kelly and US drug Tsar General Barry McCaffrey words sound familiar, but I can't recall the IGF1 discussion and Gro-Prep stuff.
  22. blackcat

blackcat Club Legend

Richmond
    Other teams:
    world champ would be werner reiterer
  23. RussellEbertHandball

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    The Mighty Blacks
  24. RU486

RU486 Team Captain

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    Everton
    National Sprint Champion Matt Shirvington?

Easily the most comprehensive and honest interview regarding PED's I've read. Great article!
  25. RussellEbertHandball

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    The Mighty Blacks
    Nah Shirvington was the current Australian Champion when that interview went to air in 2000 (97-98 + 98-99 + 99-00 champ), plus he didn't go to Atlanta

So sprint champ = 100m or 200m or 400m

In order I'd say it was either of the following as these 3 are the only national sprint champs who went to Atlanta.

Dean Capobianco - done for drugs - 100m champ 90-91+92-93, 200m champ 90-91+91-92+95-96
    Stephen Brimacombe - 100m champ 96-97, 200m champ 93-94+94-95
    Paul Greene 400m 90-91+94-95