Lance Franklin: 2004 draft revisited ....

Remove this Banner Ad

Nightwolf

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 25, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The more i think about it the more i feel we MUST take him at no.2 in the draft. There was an article in the HUN today saying he was prepared to travel to melb and would do whatever it takes to play AFL footy.
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,11034559%5E20322,00.html

The fact is, we need a KPP, especially a CHF, and IMO Franklin is the best available. The way i see it is that if Richmond take Delidio at 1, then Franklin it is, as at the moment a KPP is more important to us than a midfielder, as we have crawf, mitchell, vanders, bateman and hodge covering that area.
We may even be able to pick up one of Griffen or Tabling at 5 becuase of the fact that Richmond need KPP aswell.
Although i am also thinking that this is our chance to get a midfielder that can replace Crawf in a few years time and excel to be a star of the game. But it really comes down to what we need more, which is a CHF!
Hell, if Tambling or Griffen didnt become available at pick 5, Roughead would slot in nicely. 2 Future KPP stars would be a bonus for Hawthorn.

I think that Franklin can become an exciting prospect in our forward line, and it is likely he will go unless taken early in the draft. This is my opinion and you may share others.

Re: Lance Franklin

Franklin should be taken. I dont understand why u would want a midfielder when they are a dime a dozen. Make sure u get Franklin then get someone with ya next pick, im sure they will still be good

I have always thought that Hawthorn should take the best possible player avaliable with the 2nd pick in the National Draft. But, the more I think about it, and how desperate Hawthorn is for a Key Position Player, Franklin just might be that player.. He seems like a player with all the tools to be a star at AFL level, and if he comes on, could be the next Nick Reiwoldt! Now, Hawk supporters, would you not agree that he is looking good in the brown and gold stripes?
In saying this, i'm not too fussed who the Hawks pick up with pick 2 because they are garunteed 2 of Deledio, Griffen, Tambling, Franklin and Roughead...
Any of these players would slot comfortably into ANY AFL team!

Just a thought, make of it what you will...

superstar said:
I'll tell you right now that Tambling or Deledio will go at pick 2- whoever is available. You can quote me on it.
Superstar do you have the good oil?Who exactly are we looking at at #2 ? I'd rather not have Tambling @ the club ,we need career players with our top picks not the flashy wandering types.I would be wrapped if after pick 5 we had either Deledio/Griffen & either Roughead /Kirkby @ the club.

Dermie made a comment on SEN regarding the early picks in the draft. He was pretty sure that Deledio and Tambling would be the first two chosen as they were the standouts. Didn't give too much away , said something about Roughead being a Top 10 pick , seemed to be trying to avert the attention away from him , I suspect we are very interested. From what I have heard if the Tigers go for Deledio the Hawks will snap up Tambling , the Tigers are weighing up these two players ATM.

Does any one think the Hawks may pick Roughead up at pick 2 to beat Richmond to him and then take a midfielder at pick 5 as I can see richmond taking him at pick 4 with the dogs taking Franklin with pick 3 so it could go like
Deledio - 1
Roughead - 2
Franklin - 3
Tambling - 4
Griffen - 5

mustang said:
Does any one think the Hawks may pick Roughead up at pick 2 to beat Richmond to him and then take a midfielder at pick 5 as I can see richmond taking him at pick 4 with the dogs taking Franklin with pick 3 so it could go like
Deledio - 1
Roughead - 2
Franklin - 3
Tambling - 4
Griffen - 5

Id say there is a good chance that may happen , could be Roughhead or Franklin going at 2. Wouldn't be a bad result and we get the KPP we are after!
The only thing is I have heard we are very keen on Tambling also , so should be interesting!
Pick 7 should be Ryan Willits or another tall forward.

Buster the hawk said:
Superstar do you have the good oil?Who exactly are we looking at at #2 ? I'd rather not have Tambling @ the club ,we need career players with our top picks not the flashy wandering types.I would be wrapped if after pick 5 we had either Deledio/Griffen & either Roughead /Kirkby @ the club.
Both Richmond and Hawthorn are set on Deledio and Tambling. We're not the club making the choice.

Tambling is NOT a flashy wandering type. He's bloody hard at the footy and his skills are widely regarded as the best in the draft. With incredible pace, I reckon he's exactly what we need.

I'm thinking Roughhead at 5 is looking likely. I don't want Franklin.

Take the best player available at that pick. No mucking about, no filling positions. Who we think is the best player at pick 2 is who we should take. If Deledio is taken at 1 we should take either Tambling or Griffen (leave that to the club), if Tigers bow to stupidity and leave Deledio then we take him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks should take Tambling at 2 and Roughead at 5.

fishbowl said:
That would be a disaster, Franklin is the new Richo. Tambling is 2 years away from playing football.
How many times have you seen him play?

fishbowl said:
That would be a disaster, Franklin is the new Richo. Tambling is 2 years away from playing football.

This was quite prophetic. I agree that Franklin does look like a new Richo in the way he plays.

Franklin is not the new Richo, Franklin is Franklin!! lets not make a mistake of comparing anyone. Anyways its good to see some balck magic in the team!!

fishbowl said:
I am going to reply to my own post by saying I hope he keeps up what he has been doing after 3 rounds. I'll reply to this in 3 rounds time.

well done fishbowl, serching though old posts and i came across this one
100% correct:thumbsu:

Fishbowl is brute, he gets out there and fights the good fight, i love him ...

Good on ya Fishbowl ...

Let's muscle up now and take out some Eagle fans on here over the coming week. They win one Grand Final by a couple of points with Goldspank blowing wind in their sails and they think they have an era on their hands.

Can you smell the fear from them. They aren't saying squat about Geelong, the Swans or the Crows. Just the Hawks.

Maybe remembering the last time we met in a Grand Final...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back