Lance Franklin: 2004 draft revisited ....

Remove this Banner Ad

I was looking back at the 2004 season and saw how close Hawthorn was to winning the spoon that season. Less than 1% separating the 2 teams. Given that Deledio was considered the stand out player of that draft you wonder what a sliding doors moment that could have been for the club. Had we taken Deledio at #1 and Richmond snatched Roughy #2 we may have been tempted to take Tambling with #3. You would have to wonder if we would have won flags without Roughy and Buddy. I think you could very safely draw a line through the 2008 premiership and debatably the 2013 one also.

upload_2015-12-5_22-42-30.png

I have no doubt that if Deledio came to us he'd be an infinitely better player.

As a junior he was an absolute jet, and knowing him personally I wanted him in our colors bad, but then he went to Richmond and was surrounded by mediocrity, poor coaching and bad development...for years.

He could've been anything.

I was looking back at the 2004 season and saw how close Hawthorn was to winning the spoon that season. Less than 1% separating the 2 teams. Given that Deledio was considered the stand out player of that draft you wonder what a sliding doors moment that could have been for the club. Had we taken Deledio at #1 and Richmond snatched Roughy #2 we may have been tempted to take Tambling with #3. You would have to wonder if we would have won flags without Roughy and Buddy. I think you could very safely draw a line through the 2008 premiership and debatably the 2013 one also.

View attachment 198461

You forgot that the doggies still would have had third pick.

I believe if that had happened that we would have ended up with Deledio and Roughead. I think the Tiges always had Tambling rated second and would have happily gone for him and then Franklin. If they had decided to go Roughy first, then we most likely would have gone Buddy with our second as we always wanted a tall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back