The Smith Street Band
Thundercat
Tobias Jesso Jr.
Vince Staples
Violent Soho

* Exclusive to Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne only
** not playing Fremantle
*** Exclusive to Brisbane only

Tickets are on sale Wednesday 30 September.

Richard Cranium

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PHX
Kind of on the fence about this.

Battles, HudMo, Thundercat, Vince Staples all must sees, but other than those four I'm not too fussed.

Is Flume supposed to be putting out something new soon or is he still just dining out on those three okay songs he has?

Lums23

Club Legend
Jun 16, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United
Kind of on the fence about this.

Battles, HudMo, Thundercat, Vince Staples all must sees, but other than those four I'm not too fussed.

Is Flume supposed to be putting out something new soon or is he still just dining out on those three okay songs he has?
He's been pretty cagey about it all, but it seemed likely he was going release a new album this year. This would just about confirm it for me, it would be very out of character for Laneway to put him on otherwise

hamohawk1

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
$165 to go. Lineup is good (personally think purity ring is one of the best gigs I've seen) but f*** me this festival was only 130 a couple of years ago. When are promoters going to learn that setting a high price is such a short term benefit for poor term prospective of the festival itself.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
excited to catch diiv, beach house and grimes.

reckon i'll just see them as sideshows, this festival sort of sucks in melbourne.
At least it's just Flume.

None of that hack Chet Faker.

Cool :)

Battles and Beach House
These'ns.

It's pretty weird to see how trendy this sort of music is these days and how much hype and emoji fire this stuff gets. But then again I don't see this lineup as anywhere near as tragic or boring as some people make out.

Overall, I kind of get the feeling the best bands (DIIV, Grimes, Beach House, Vince Staples) will have plenty of pavement and grass free which takes away from the best part of the festival experience – atmosphere. As noted above, the Footscray sight is really appalling. I snuck in about 2013 I think it was, and in comparison to the old Perth Cultural Centre location, it was really bad. The stages had crowd areas that were really long and thin, it took ages to get from the main stage to the other ones... the heat is always against Melbs for some reason as well, seems to hit 41 while other states get more tropical days. I dunno. If I had mates who weren't such boring sods I'd go, I don't think $250 once you buy some drinks is really that expensive for a good weekend (you're not going to go out Thursday or Friday, and a big night out costs 100 to 150 bucks usually) so I'd go if the chance was there. But ya know.

This festival still peaked in the year Lorde played and they lucked out in getting a Splendour/BDO headliner and then 2012.

hamohawk1

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There doesn't seem to be any major headliner, surely flume can't be considered has hardly released anything of substance in recent years. Also to add with what others have said the melbourne setup is garbage and will stop a lot of people from attending. feel its the beginning of the demise for this festival

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
There doesn't seem to be any major headliner, surely flume can't be considered has hardly released anything of substance in recent years. Also to add with what others have said the melbourne setup is garbage and will stop a lot of people from attending. feel its the beginning of the demise for this festival
Flume is the biggest established act since Lorde. But when they would've booked Lorde, she was hardly headlining ACL and second topping Coachella. It's a bit lame but he is a bonafide headliner in this country, he'll be able to pull punters no matter what festival he plays. Laneway rarely go out and get a designated headliner, more about steady middle-rung acts all day. The issue for me this year, is that there aren't enough of those acts I love that much.

Kakkle

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
These'ns.

It's pretty weird to see how trendy this sort of music is these days and how much hype and emoji fire this stuff gets. But then again I don't see this lineup as anywhere near as tragic or boring as some people make out.

Overall, I kind of get the feeling the best bands (DIIV, Grimes, Beach House, Vince Staples) will have plenty of pavement and grass free which takes away from the best part of the festival experience – atmosphere. As noted above, the Footscray sight is really appalling. I snuck in about 2013 I think it was, and in comparison to the old Perth Cultural Centre location, it was really bad. The stages had crowd areas that were really long and thin, it took ages to get from the main stage to the other ones... the heat is always against Melbs for some reason as well, seems to hit 41 while other states get more tropical days. I dunno. If I had mates who weren't such boring sods I'd go, I don't think $250 once you buy some drinks is really that expensive for a good weekend (you're not going to go out Thursday or Friday, and a big night out costs 100 to 150 bucks usually) so I'd go if the chance was there. But ya know.

This festival still peaked in the year Lorde played and they lucked out in getting a Splendour/BDO headliner and then 2012.

Severely underestimating both these acts popularity here in Australia.

katana

Club Legend
Jul 12, 2013
Northcote
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
QT? As in this hot garbage?

I caught the Sophie/qt/pc music show at 170 Russell last December. it's like an Ariel pink show, but even more pretensiously artsy in that it feels like an inside joke that no one is in on. I don't mind the concept of the label, but they need to think about better ways of delivering that in any way close to enjoyable as a live show. really odd get for a laneway. i guess they're trying to keep the trendy-cred.

that said, qt is pretty ******* attractive.

Last edited:

Lums23

Club Legend
Jun 16, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United
Got to agree with Silent Alarm. Flume absolutely can be considered a major headliner. If his new album, which looks like it will come out prior to Laneway, is as good/successful as his first he will be the single biggest act in Australia (ahead of Tame Impala only based on appeal to a broader audience). His remix of Tennis Court was number 47 in the hottest 100 last year, despite not even being available on iTunes. He also headlined Future Classic's thing at Vivid Live ahead of Flight Facilities, a group that have headlined many a festival over the last year or so

Also as Silent Alarm said, it's pretty rare they have a genuine headliner. Last year was closed out by St. Vincent, Flying Lotus, Flight Facilities and Banks. It was basically just a mix of different artists to try and finish the day well for people of all tastes. I'm not sure how that spells out beginning of the demise. Nor does the setup at Melbourne. It still sells out every year, and it's not like it's a set up that has changed recently

Last edited:

NotAMagpieBogan

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2014
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Flume is a bit iffy for me, few songs of his that I really like, but a few that I think are either really boring or really trashy

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Laneway (along with Falls) fall into this really luck are where their name is really popular and its main genres pretty trendy. Big Day Out could pull some pretty interesting acts, big names, who hadn't been to Australia for 4-20 years and it still fell on its arse because the name is so uncool and the pull so empty. No one is going to like your photo of you in a felt hat and half-unbottoned rayon shirt if it says 'at Big Day Out.' 'At Laneway' and you'll be showing some sort of coolness and cred.

That's why you get those girls comment on these festivals' statuses tagging their mates who also drink Voss water, saying things like "oh my god lineup sooooo good" or conversing on Tinder about how they have to get to Falls. These conversations will still exist no matter who plays at them. I don't think either festival is atrocious, but they know they can do enough to get people along. Both'll sell out and if I'm totally brutally honest, both would be pretty fun times.

The reality is festivals aren't about the music braaaaa. It's about drinking at 11am and continuing drinking until you can't remember that Royksopp cancelled or you reckon Flume is *in s**t. It's about girls who'll be copying the European summer trend and wearing Stan Smiths. It's about really hoping you finger someone you meet at Grimes. It's about feeling like you're doing what you should be doing with your yoof. That's not a bad thing, kind of pretty normal hedonism in the first world, but it's better to see them as a day out with some good bands – not like you're hoping to catch a Pulp-at-Glasto-95 moment.

hamohawk1

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Laneway (along with Falls) fall into this really luck are where their name is really popular and its main genres pretty trendy. Big Day Out could pull some pretty interesting acts, big names, who hadn't been to Australia for 4-20 years and it still fell on its arse because the name is so uncool and the pull so empty. No one is going to like your photo of you in a felt hat and half-unbottoned rayon shirt if it says 'at Big Day Out.' 'At Laneway' and you'll be showing some sort of coolness and cred.

That's why you get those girls comment on these festivals' statuses tagging their mates who also drink Voss water, saying things like "oh my god lineup sooooo good" or conversing on Tinder about how they have to get to Falls. These conversations will still exist no matter who plays at them. I don't think either festival is atrocious, but they know they can do enough to get people along. Both'll sell out and if I'm totally brutally honest, both would be pretty fun times.

The reality is festivals aren't about the music braaaaa. It's about drinking at 11am and continuing drinking until you can't remember that Royksopp cancelled or you reckon Flume is ****in s**t. It's about girls who'll be copying the European summer trend and wearing Stan Smiths. It's about really hoping you finger someone you meet at Grimes. It's about feeling like you're doing what you should be doing with your yoof. That's not a bad thing, kind of pretty normal hedonism in the first world, but it's better to see them as a day out with some good bands – not like you're hoping to catch a Pulp-at-Glasto-95 moment.

this may be one of the best posts I've read on big footy this year.
you have encapsulated females and their attitudes to the music/nightlife scene in melbourne perfectly.

Back