Last book you read?

Remove this Banner Ad

Am trying to read the Wind Up Bird Chronicle at the moment. Clearly a great book but requires more attention than I can give it right now...
I looked that up after reading your post, Smedts. I remember reading the blurb in the shop one day. The English translation sounds like it could've been done better but I can understand them wanting to keep it to one volume. Not only have they cut chunks out, they've rearranged chapters when they've put the English version together.
Had to laugh cos I looked it up on the iBook blurb as well and Women's weekly have a blurb up there in which they say the main character's wife is missing- but everywhere else it's written that his cat has gone walkabout :) I wonder if they actually read it?

I looked that up after reading your post, Smedts. I remember reading the blurb in the shop one day. The English translation sounds like it could've been done better but I can understand them wanting to keep it to one volume. Not only have they cut chunks out, they've rearranged chapters when they've put the English version together.
Had to laugh cos I looked it up on the iBook blurb as well and Women's weekly have a blurb up there in which they say the main character's wife is missing- but everywhere else it's written that his cat has gone walkabout :) I wonder if they actually read it?

To be fair, his wife does leave but it's the cat that drives the plotline. I love his books, and generally the translations are really good, but without being able to spend some proper time each day reading, my ability to retain the plot in my head is a little limited.

In short - book needs a better reader!

To be fair, his wife does leave but it's the cat that drives the plotline. I love his books, and generally the translations are really good, but without being able to spend some proper time each day reading, my ability to retain the plot in my head is a little limited.

In short - book needs a better reader!
I have books like that- lots of them- which need longer reading times spent.

If you're struggling with it, put it down until you've got time to give it your full attention for longer reading periods. Pick up something a bit lighter that doesn't need analysing or keeping track of too many characters. You can get back onto your Wind Up Bird again later. Or you can keep plodding on- I have tried both solutions. Both work for me at different times.

I grab a lot of books from different genres as they catch my fancy. I enjoyed reading the stuff from Dan Brown on the Knights Templar, etc. even thought it's fiction, it's interesting.
Other books like that would be by Steve Berry and Raymond Khoury, which I have a few of- still on my 'to read' list, sadly ;(I do like conspiracy stuff. but then I go and buy a book about the Dead Sea Scrolls.... not sure what I like sometimes, tbh :)

Do you like Robert Ludlum?

And have you read any of Stig Larsson books? I bought two together on a special, read most of the first but lost the plot ;) lol and gave it up. Someone said the other two books were better- so I'd be interested in people's thoughts, if anyone has read them.

I have a feeling that this thread will make me feel very, very uneducated...

Not bad for someone who worked for the Addy.:D

I've just started reading 'the secret race' very interesting so far.... Looking forward to the info about how involved the drug stuff was and how Tyler Hamilton talks about Lance

I grab a lot of books from different genres as they catch my fancy. I enjoyed reading the stuff from Dan Brown on the Knights Templar, etc. even thought it's fiction, it's interesting.
Other books like that would be by Steve Berry and Raymond Khoury, which I have a few of- still on my 'to read' list, sadly ;(I do like conspiracy stuff. but then I go and buy a book about the Dead Sea Scrolls.... not sure what I like sometimes, tbh :)

Do you like Robert Ludlum?

And have you read any of Stig Larsson books? I bought two together on a special, read most of the first but lost the plot ;) lol and gave it up. Someone said the other two books were better- so I'd be interested in people's thoughts, if anyone has read them.
have read some of R L yes. I bought the Sig Larsson books too because of the hype :( Couldn't get through the 1st one, but sort of speed read it, haven't bothered looking at the 2nd and 3rd yet even though I have them

have read some of R L yes. I bought the Sig Larsson books too because of the hype :( Couldn't get through the 1st one, but sort of speed read it, haven't bothered looking at the 2nd and 3rd yet even though I have them
Lol- I think I've got about 1/5th left of the 1st Larsson book. (Can't remember if I've flipped through to the end or not- I often do ;))
Someone told me they get better but I think a whole book is too long to wait for a series to improve. Don't see how he's won awards- they must've felt sorry for him because he was dead or something (or did he die after being given those awards?) Not my cup of coffee tea...

Treasure Island,my last year at school 50 years ago now,we had to read it as we would be tested on it's content in the end of year exams,a couple of days before the exam I headed to the West Geelong Library and asked for the skinniest version they had,it was skinny alright but only because the print was microscopic.:(
Another book is on my bucket list,towards the bottom.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just finished The Secret Race by Tyler Hamilton. Very good.
I'm right at the end of that.... like the last 30 or so pages..
Incredible isn't it, makes you wonder about every sport to be honest. The sheer confidence they could beat the tests and would be fine as well..

Armstrong sounds nothing short of an a-hole and Hamilton is one tough man it seems

where's wally

i had a bit of trouble understanding it, it was a bit to complex for me
lol
Much too distracting for me. I'd find Wally, then laugh my head off at all the subtle stuff happening, then forget to find whatever else I was meant to be looking for. Those books are very clever.
Any other kiddy books you have trouble with, Whit3y? Have you seen the Magic Eye 3D books? I was not much good at those, unfortunately :(

lol
Much too distracting for me. I'd find Wally, then laugh my head off at all the subtle stuff happening, then forget to find whatever else I was meant to be looking for. Those books are very clever.
Any other kiddy books you have trouble with, Whit3y? Have you seen the Magic Eye 3D books? I was not much good at those, unfortunately :(

i thought u would be handy at magic eye books teriyakicat

you are the magician on and off the footy field after all ;)

Finished the book Partridge, I've also read 'seven deadly sins' by David Walsh which paints Armstrong in a very similar light

Have to just shake your head at how he would declare anyone blitzing as 'not normal' and dob them in to the UCI but he had no issue with cheating at a level never seen before to win 7 tours in the trot...

Finished the book Partridge, I've also read 'seven deadly sins' by David Walsh which paints Armstrong in a very similar light

Have to just shake your head at how he would declare anyone blitzing as 'not normal' and dob them in to the UCI but he had no issue with cheating at a level never seen before to win 7 tours in the trot...

Yeah it's a pretty blunt assessment of the sport as a whole. Seems it's just endemic. Unfortunate.

What was his rationale for it - "every other f**ker is doing it!"

Yeah it's a pretty blunt assessment of the sport as a whole. Seems it's just endemic. Unfortunate.

What was his rationale for it - "every other f**ker is doing it!"
Yeah except if anyone was doing it and looking like beating him he would crack the shits and dob them in

Just started.
LookWhosBackcrop.jpg

Hitler wakes up in 2011 everyone thinks he's a Hitler impersonator.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back