Last book you read?

Remove this Banner Ad

When you mentioned the book, I checked it on wiki- read a bit on the Beaumont kids as well- and there's a list of suspects on wiki, which is very interesting.
Heartbreaking for the parents to lose all 3 kids at once - one would be devastating- and never be able to find out who did it (not that that would bring the kids back but you'd at least see some punishment of a crime). Over here, the police have never been able to find the Claremont Killer.

The Claremont killer- is that the one who snatched 18 - 19 yo's from a specific area around some hotels?

I read an interesting list today, of 10 wives who lived with their husbands, some for many years, but claim they knew nothing of them being a serial killer.

Gary Ridgeway and his wife were married for 13 (edit: oops, typo. 13, not 36)years from memory!

The Claremont killer- is that the one who snatched 18 - 19 yo's from a specific area around some hotels?

I read an interesting list today, of 10 wives who lived with their husbands, some for many years, but claim they knew nothing of them being a serial killer.

Gary Ridgeway and his wife were married for 13 (edit: oops, typo. 13, not 36)years from memory!

Not surprising at all, says she whose husband works overseas a fair bit... ;)

Re the killings- yes, pretty much. 2 bodies and 1 disappearance in the mid-90s. Girls 18- late 20s. Possible opportunistic killings- girls out late at night/wee hours of the morning. Or maybe the murderer might have made himself known to them socially prior to abducting and murdering them, as they appear to have been picked up by someone in a car.

Pretty scary stuff if you had daughters in Perth at that time! :eek:

Not surprising at all, says she whose husband works overseas a fair bit... ;)

Re the killings- yes, pretty much. 2 bodies and 1 disappearance in the mid-90s. Girls 18- late 20s. Possible opportunistic killings- girls out late at night/wee hours of the morning. Or maybe the murderer might have made himself known to them socially prior to abducting and murdering them, as they appear to have been picked up by someone in a car.

Pretty scary stuff if you had daughters in Perth at that time! :eek:

It would've been, no doubt.

It's strange how it stopped as suddenly as it started. Usually, even a long hiatus, most killers return to their ways because they can't resist their compulsions, unless their own death stops them.

The thing with the wives I read about today is that there were all sorts of pointers - a common one was smell - indicating their husbands were up to no good.

It would've been, no doubt.

It's strange how it stopped as suddenly as it started. Usually, even a long hiatus, most killers return to their ways because they can't resist their compulsions, unless their own death stops them.

The thing with the wives I read about today is that there were all sorts of pointers - a common one was smell - indicating their husbands were up to no good.
Smell? The wife's sense of smell or did the hubby have a bit of a stench?
Sometimes the murderers just go o/s where, in poor countries, the deaths go uninvestigated.

Smell? The wife's sense of smell or did the hubby have a bit of a stench?
Sometimes the murderers just go o/s where, in poor countries, the deaths go uninvestigated.

In a lot of cases the guys were living regular, daily lives at home and some took to disposing of their victims under the floor of the house, the basement, torture rooms they created by which the wives were banned from etc.

Hard to believe their intuition didn't tell them something was wrong.

Apologies John, just saw your post now.

I haven't read it yet, but am going on holidays next month and have already packed Tales of Power and The Art of Dreaming in my case. Pretty sure that rounds out the series??

Have really enjoyed all three to date, love books that really f*** with your mind and take it away for a while.
Have been meaning to ask if you finished the series CG? How did you find those last two books?

I've been doing a bit of reading this off-season, just re-read Tolkein's The Silmarillion. Got nice and lost in it. To summarise, it's a book about the history and background of Middle-earth. Fascinating stuff. :thumbsu:

Have been meaning to ask if you finished the series CG? How did you find those last two books?

I've been doing a bit of reading this off-season, just re-read Tolkein's The Silmarillion. Got nice and lost in it. To summarise, it's a book about the history and background of Middle-earth. Fascinating stuff. :thumbsu:
Yeah, finished them. Found the last books to drag a little, and were a bit nonsensical at times. I'm guessing Carlos Castaneda lost the plot somewhere along the way though, or maybe I did. :cool:

Loved The Silmarillion btw. Wish I'd read it before LOTR.

I've just read an "easy" Tolkien book of short stories, Tree and Leaf. "Leaf by Niggle" was probably my fave story from it.

So what's next for your reading? Some more Tolkien, or moving onto something different?

Yeah, finished them. Found the last books to drag a little, and were a bit nonsensical at times. I'm guessing Carlos Castaneda lost the plot somewhere along the way though, or maybe I did. :cool:

Loved The Silmarillion btw. Wish I'd read it before LOTR.

I've just read an "easy" Tolkien book of short stories, Tree and Leaf. "Leaf by Niggle" was probably my fave story from it.

So what's next for your reading? Some more Tolkien, or moving onto something different?
Was probably you losing your marbles. ;) I do recall reading he wrote the first three in the Don Juan series as part of his college studies, whereas the next two were probably more "out there" as they were written during his apprenticeship with the Yaqui shaman. Incredible how far he pushed the boundaries of "reality" though.

I'm gonna stick with another Tolkien for now-just started Tales From the Perilous Realm. Enjoying it so far. :thumbsu:

Just started Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond. The next one is Why We Love Serial Killers by Scott Bonn.

Are you sure that book is not by Bonn Scott?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm keen, but feel it will be a near impossible task to choose only twenty books, and then have to order them. :eek:

Have started reading a book that's not my usual fare, but really like the author; Lazybones by Mark Billingham.

So far so good.

I'm keen, but feel it will be a near impossible task to choose only twenty books, and then have to order them. :eek:

Have started reading a book that's not my usual fare, but really like the author; Lazybones by Mark Billingham.

So far so good.
I really like Mark Billingham but you should have gone right back to the start with his stuff - 'Sleepyhead' - where DI Thorne gets first introduced. I think 'Lazybones' is the 3rd or 4th book featuring Thorne...

Haven't read his more recent stuff, this post reminds me to track some more of his work down.

To keep in line with the thread, I just started reading 'Anansi Boys' by Neil Gaiman. So far, so good.

I really like Mark Billingham but you should have gone right back to the start with his stuff - 'Sleepyhead' - where DI Thorne gets first introduced. I think 'Lazybones' is the 3rd or 4th book featuring Thorne...

Haven't read his more recent stuff, this post reminds me to track some more of his work down.

To keep in line with the thread, I just started reading 'Anansi Boys' by Neil Gaiman. So far, so good.
Do you think it matters as far as the story goes? I'm only 50-ish pages in, and am happy to put it on the backburner and read Sleepyhead first.

Anansi Boys is one of my faves; has a bit of everything in it-funny, scary, weird.

Did you read American Gods? Mr. Nancy is a character in it, and Anansi Boys is the "kind of" follow-up.

It probably doesn't matter too much other than keeping certain events aligned. It does follow a timeline but I can't remember all the specific events.

If you liked what you read in the first 50 pages then perhaps seek out the first book and start, ahem, at the start.

I haven't read 'American Gods'. I guess the same question applies for me now...should I start with that or doesn't it matter?

It doesn't matter at all. It's a very loose sequel.

I remember reading that although he hadn't written Anansi Boys, the characters and plot were in his head before American Gods. The books share a couple of characters, and could be set in the same fictional world, that's all.

Both are being made into TV series though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back