Last book you read?

Remove this Banner Ad

It sounds like an interesting book. One thing is for certain though, nothing will ever change the fact that science is based on the pursuit of determining facts, while religion is based on the promotion of faith in scriptures which have been formulated from nothing more than conjecture and misinterpretation.
Well you say that - but go read some quantum mechanics... that will change your perspective. The real Heisenberg is a head-*. :)

It sounds like an interesting book. One thing is for certain though, nothing will ever change the fact that science is based on the pursuit of determining facts, while religion is based on the promotion of faith in scriptures which have been formulated from nothing more than conjecture and misinterpretation.

Brooke is not suggesting that they are the same thing. He is tracing the interaction through the history of science and religion in the west. It is "not" of a work of apologetic or polemic but of work of history.
And in my reading of the subject by the best of historical scholarship on the relationship between Science and Religion, or Science and Christianity specifically, the subject is far more interesting and complex than the rather flat narratives that I have encountered from popular culture.

Havent read a book in over a year, it was the last release of my favourtie serieis. R.a Salvatores "legend of drizzt" series is a favourite of mine and need to find the latest book
That's a huge series-there must be around 20 or 30 books all up.

How far into it did you get? I read the first couple, really enjoyed them, then got lost in something else.

Well you say that - but go read some quantum mechanics... that will change your perspective. The real Heisenberg is a head-****. :)
Yeah, look... I'll be honest here and say that most of that stuff is slightly over my head. So, perhaps you could tell me in layman's terms how my opinion would change if I further educated myself in the field of quantum mechanics?

It would seem to suggest that our/the scientific method might not be all that it's cracked up to be. Simply, by observing (the process of doing so) something you are altering it (how it behaves).

Another Haruki Murakami fan here!

I've read a couple of his books, Norwegian Wood and The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, loved them both.

Have read some really positive reviews of the one you mentioned, I'll have to add it to the off-season reading list. :thumbsu:
my favourite is Kafka by the Shore - enjoy !

See Ladbrokes have got Murakami in the betting for the Nobel Prize this year, at 6/1, behind the well-known Svetlana Aleksijevitj at 3s.
I think that he's been favourite 2 or 3 times, he might be the Buddha Hocking of the book world :(

I think that he's been favourite 2 or 3 times, he might be the Buddha Hocking of the book world :(

I think only Americans bet, he's very accessible and popular over there, and finally a translation of his very first book is available as well. They also have Roth (plausible) and (the FSM preserve us) Joyce Carol Oates on the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone read his book of interviews about the Sarin subway attacks? I'm curious?

"Forget you had a Daughter" about a Brit who attempted to smuggle a small amount of heroin out of Bangkok, and of course got caught and ended up in the Bangkok Hilton, eventually being transferred to some of the scariest prisons in England, including one that housed Rose West.

An excerpt about Rosemary West on Fred West:
"Sandra" she would say "He was a ****ing psychopath. Do you know what a psychopath is?"
"No Rose" I replied "But I think you're going to tell me"
"Do you know why he hung himself?"
"No. To protect you. Or to take the easy way out."
"No, no," she screamed "I'll tell you, all their life they're planning the ultimate murder. Do you know what the ultimate murder is?.
"No Rose i dont"
"Their own. Their own murder. It's the ultimate murder for a psychopath. He planned his whole life to kill himself."

Yeah it's an interesting read.

Mindhunter by John Douglas. Its about the FBI's Serial Crime Unit. The author basically invented perpetrator profiling and turned it into a science. A facinating read.

Last edited:
I have just discovered Robert Goddard books . Liking the one I am reading now "Days without Number" . I think I will read more. And also have a Wilbur Smith to start. Haven't read him before . although I know he has written for years
Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe.
I read that a long time ago. Still remember most of it

Have not read a book yet over the summer.

The books I got from the Library so far have been an utter disappointment- read several pages then put them all down. :mad::thumbsdown:

Moving onto a book I got about how they built the World Trade Centre and The Dressmaker. Hopefully they are better.

Is that The Dressmaker by Beryl Bainbridge, or the Australian one?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back