Last book you read?

Remove this Banner Ad

Currently reading "Stasiland" by Anna Funder, which is about the West/East Berlin era.

I really like the way it's written like a novel, but it's actually non-fiction through interviews.

Have been raiding my girlfriend's bookshelves lately, and found some great books.

Just finished 'Homage to Catalonia' by Orwell-his account of the Spanish civil war, which I didn't know much about, but found it a fascinating read.

I did a tour of all the spots mentioned in it when I was in Barna it's pretty crazy. Basically imagine it all taking place in Bourke St.

That's insane. Would love to do that tour.

Big Tom 2013 if you're looking to read more about it, "The Spanish Civil War" by Hugh Thomas gives a thorough account. It's a long book (maybe the 1000 page range), but I found it engrossing.

That's insane. Would love to do that tour.

Big Tom 2013 if you're looking to read more about it, "The Spanish Civil War" by Hugh Thomas gives a thorough account. It's a long book (maybe the 1000 page range), but I found it engrossing.

Ditto Anthony Beevor The Battle for Spain: The Spanish Civil War 1936-39 only :D c. 800 pages.

Just finished George Orwell's Coming Up For Air.

He's one of my favourite authors, and this was another great read. Slightly different from others in that this was a nostalgic story of the main character George's look back over his life/societal changes.

Looking for something to really sink my teeth into next up.

He's one of my favourite authors, and this was another great read. Slightly different from others in that this was a nostalgic story of the main character George's look back over his life/societal changes.

could recommend getting in to Haruki Murakami and/or Hilary Mantel ( if you haven't already)

could recommend getting in to Haruki Murakami and/or Hilary Mantel ( if you haven't already)

I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but this site is very good for finding other authors who are similar to ones you like. You just type in the writer you like, then a map comes up with lots of other authors mapped in relation to him/her by closeness of similarity (or rather, similar likes).

http://www.literature-map.com/

I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but this site is very good for finding other authors who are similar to ones you like. You just type in the writer you like, then a map comes up with lots of other authors mapped in relation to him/her by closeness of similarity (or rather, similar likes).

http://www.literature-map.com/
much appreciated :thumbsu:

I've just finished Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov.

Took me a little while to get into it (had a really strange structure-told as footnotes of a poem), but once I did, I couldn't put it down. An amazing book, and knowing a bit about your reading tastes, I think you'd really like it.

Thanks for those recommendations. Think I've read something by Hilary Mantel-The Giant O'Brien-will check when I get home. Great read if it was by her. :thumbsu:
I've just finished Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov.

Took me a little while to get into it (had a really strange structure-told as footnotes of a poem), but once I did, I couldn't put it down. An amazing book, and knowing a bit about your reading tastes, I think you'd really like it.
Have been told to read this one by a few people now. I'll take your word for it and give it a try-have a feeling it'll be right up my alley. Thanks C23. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LukeParkerno1 thought i would tag you here. Am about 200 pages in now and yeah I can see how you're right about it. "New" perspectives are coming thru that are different to the ones I read from the police investigation.

I cannot get over how the police let him talk to that witness/nutcase- like I was flabbergasted I realise they are doing everything they can to solve the case- but letting the victim's father speak to some nutjob?!?! Would have thought that would be 100% off limits.

Also cannot get over the fact he is meeting these random weirdos in strange places either. I get he is doing what he can but... f.arking hell he put himself in danger imho doing this...

Anyway I will keep reading.

I didnt cry but I definitely felt extremely sad.

I cant believe how much pain and heartache this bastard caused. And i posted a link in the "pleases me thread" and some pompous dickhead quoted me and goes "oh nothing to be pleased about that" get. ****ed. :rolleyes:

Hot water thrown over this prick is nothing, nowhere near the kind of hell he deserves.

I honestly wish there was something i could do.. instead of bitching and whinging about it. Really would like to do something to change sentences for serious sex crimes and pedophiles. But wtf can you do... please tell me..

Should be a life sentence if found guilty of these crimes punishment is just way too small. These victims have a scar for the rest of their life!

The sentences are a joke. A big massive joke and as a country we need to hang our heads in shame over it.

2.5 years is what Cowan got. 2.5 years for one of the most savages rapes I have ever heard of in my entire life.

Yep I still have no idea how on earth the DPP didn't appeal that sentence. Either the prosecutors have no idea or the laws are rubbish- it's one or the other.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back