Movies & TV Last movie you watched?

Remove this Banner Ad

He could've made a pretty penny if he kept his formula to himself and had a bet. :D

The only movie from the Oscars best movie list I really want to see is Boyhood.

But most importantly Johncat, who was your best dressed? :D:D

I'm certainly no fashionista, and usually prefer the more off beat dressers (Lady Gaga, or rooster, aside :D) but saw a picture of Cate Blanchett today. She looked elegant in her black gown I guess.

Last edited:

But most importantly Johncat, who was your best dressed? :D:D
Not aimed at me but I thought Lady Gaga was best dressed with her dishwashing gloves
G7yXMol.jpg

:D

I've probably seen over 500 musicals so far in life, and Chicago would rank around 495. :D

The original story done as Roxie Hart with Ginger Rogers is a masterpiece (and one of Kubrick's favourite films), but not a musical.
Get out!
I can't even think of 15 musicals. :eek:
What would be you favourite musical James (or top 5 if that's too hard!)?

If I put my thinking cap on, I can name a few I've seen-Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Grease:$, Willy Wonka, Moulin Rouge etc..

Get out!
I can't even think of 15 musicals. :eek:
What would be you favourite musical James (or top 5 if that's too hard!)?

If I put my thinking cap on, I can name a few I've seen-Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Grease:$, Willy Wonka, Moulin Rouge etc..

From what year Karen? :p

Off the top of my head my favourite musicals would include these, in chronological order...

1. Love Me Tonight (1932) - directed by Rouben Mamoulian, music by Rodgers and Hart, starring Jeanette MacDonald and Maurice Chevalier
One of the first magical attempts at the 'intergrated musical' (where the music and songs develop the plot). As an example, here two strangers are joined 'in song' before meeting, already in love with each other.

2. The Merry Widow (1934) - directed by Ernst Lubitsch, starring Jeanette MacDonald and Maurice Chevalier.
Lubitsch pretty much invented the musical (aliong with the romantic comedy), and one of his many masterpieces is this 'operetta' - a re-working of the Lehar, with lyrics by Hart, that is at once sublime and deeply romantic. Individual numbers don't do the film justice, but welcome to Maxim's!

3. Gold Diggers of 1935 (1935) - directed by Busby Berkeley
Berkeley was a genius when it came to projecting his desires and dreams of what movies could do, and musicals specifically. He really made movies in movies. Here's the Lulaby of Broadway number - when the group tapping hits around the 9 minute mark, life makes perfect sense, and the lone kitten at the end waiting for her partner who will never be back still kills me - "Goodnight baby"

4. Top Hat (1935) - directed by Mark Sandrich, music by Irving Berlin, starring Fred and Ginger
Impossible to single out just one Fred and Ginger, but every time I catch Top Hat, I'm stunned that the human race was once capable of such perfection.

5. Meet Me in St. Louis (1944) - directed by Vincente Minnelli, starring Judy Garland
The start of the 'Golden Years' of the musical - namely the work of the Arthur Freed unit at MGM. Their best director was Minnelli, their greatest star Judy Garland - they fell in love while making this film, made at a time when the world was in deep s**t, fighting for survival. Millions of families destroyed. Judy gave hope...a child's outburst expressed the horror and pain.

6. The Band Wagon (1953) - directed by Vincente Minnelli, starring Fred and Cyd
Really nothing to say, other than possibly the greatest musical ever made. Cyd Charisse and her legs are probably still banned in some parts of the world. Here's the Girl Hunt Ballet - enough said, already.

7. Funny Face (1956) - directed by Stanley Donen, music by the Gershwins, starring Fred and Audrey
In many ways the last masterpiece of the 'Golden Years' - an MGM picture made at Paramount. Pure escapist, romantic fantasy where we find Audrey Hepburn as living proof that angels once did live amongst us.

8. Bye Bye Birdie (1963) - directed by George Sidney, starring Ann-Margaret and Dick Van Dyke
A guilty pleasure in which I feel no guilt. Ann-Margaret in Capri pants is why some of us are obsessed with the movies.

9. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964) - directed by Jacques Demy, music by Michel Legrand
My favourite movie, watched at least 4-5 times a year. The quality here doesn't do it justice, but you get the gist.

10. All That Jazz (1979) - directed by Bob Fosse
The musical pretty much ends here with Fosse's masterpeice - one of those rare things in movies - an autobiography. He lets it all hang out - the obsessions, the sex, the drugs, the insanity of life. "That's all, folks!"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So it is - their dribble and corporate Lexus BS all sounds the same that time of the morning. :D

True. Lol they are pretty funny tho. They had some American dudes from the airforce in the studio. Basically called one of them a nerd.

Them >> any rubbish on the FM band.

John hated The Sound of Music.

Good enough for me, won't bother with it.
John must mean a lot to you when there's a billion people @ the world who have and still love it

really? it looks rather interesting, along with boyhood and selma.

on a side i just read the most hilarious review of sniper.
I saw Birdman last night. I usually make a point of seeing whatever wins best movie.

Was good, some different ideas for sure, but not great. Maybe 7.5/10 if I had to score it!

really? it looks rather interesting, along with boyhood and selma.

on a side i just read the most hilarious review of sniper.
Must admit, I do find concept of Boyhood very interesting.

The fact it was made over a twelve year period, rather than fast forwarding with interchangeable actors, is enough to make me want to go see it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back