Analysis Last night was the one that we could afford to drop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Given our draw, and this is kinda my point, whatever scenario happens helps us in one way or another.

If the Power and Cats win today, it means things are a bit tighter behind us, but still just as open in-front of us.

If the Dogs and Swans win today, it probably seals things up above us, but it also secures things behind us too.

Whilst a win last night would have been the optimal outcome, if we were ever gonna have a bad day and drop a game, this was the time to do it.

Our destiny is still firmly in our own hands, in regards to making the finals and winning one.

And frankly, I would rather this loss, than streaming into the finals on a hot streak, only JUST missing out on the Top 4, and then submitting a performance like that in a final. We've been there before, haven't we? :straining:
giving our opposition in finals a gift game like that is not a nice way to walk in to finals.
Another one of your clayton threads IMO.Really what next.umpires shouldn't be paid if they make a poor decision?we lost to CFC in 2013 which cost us top 4.
No loss is good if you're going to finish below 4th.we had our loss against Freo which was enough to break the clubs momentum ,but we snapped out of it.
we just leave ourselves in a poor position too often and next week is no monty for me

Doesn't look like this was the game we could afford to lose at all now. We sit 7th while being a half a game in. Adelaide and Geelong are hitting the straps now, North don't seem like they'll falter much and GWS are making a late charge.

The top 8 is ours to lose now. Any stuff up will cost us

Doesn't look like this was the game we could afford to lose at all now. We sit 7th while being a half a game in. Adelaide and Geelong are hitting the straps now, North don't seem like they'll falter much and GWS are making a late charge.

The top 8 is ours to lose now. Any stuff up will cost us

1. GWS play Port Adelaide next week in Adelaide. Port should be good enough to win that one, especially after their performance against the Dogs.
2. Geelong play Hawthorn next week. Don't care how good the Cats' form is, they surely won't win that one.

As long as these two results go our way, and we beat the Suns at the MCG (who are currently 16th with 3.5 wins), we will again be 1.5 games clear in the Top 8, as I said in my OP.

Honestly, I probably would have prefered the Cats to lose to the Swans, but it doesn't make things that much tougher for us. As long as we win 2 of our last 4, we're playing finals, and we play 3 sides not currently in the Top 8.

Adelaide are a finals-quality opponent, we could play poorly against Suns and Bombers are still beat them by 10-20 points, especially the Bombers who just look completely listless at the moment.

If we have to play North in back to back weeks at Ethihad I may scream.
If North does finish 6th and we finish 7th do we play at Ethihad or the G?

Very little chance of it being at Docklands given the likely low number of Victorian teams in the finals.

Last year we played Essendon (MCG) 78,559 in the EF and played Cats (MCG) 65,963 in the SF, any final with 2 Victorian clubs should well exceed Dockland's capacity. Like all games at the MCG, they are boosted by MCC and AFL members.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last night we were off that is as clear as day. We've been up and about for 10-12 weeks now so it was bound to happen. I'm kind of glad that it happened in a H&A game 4 weeks out from the finals rather than the first week of the finals like it has the last 2 seasons. Hopefully last nights reality check wakes us up and helps us realise that we're not quite there yet. We should win 3 of 4 heading into the finals and be in peak form for them for that is where it will really matter. As I've said all along winning finals needs to be the aim for this season, not just simply making them again.
wtf is Ty doing snotting someone in the first quarter.

practicing at being a boxing coach like papa
was gonna reference that. but wanted it pithy.

he can kick straight, lead up, and pretty shite below his knees, might be some of Maric's example of throwing his weight around, albeit legally, that Ty thinks he needs to shoulder some of the burden. Needs to have a second look at how Ivan and Shane Mumford do it, effectively, legally, within the rules, and fairly, no opposition comes off a contest wanting to go the biff with them. Ivan and Ty and Hampson all lack a little dexterity around their knees, the game has moved on and they need this facility. I dont think any of them have it, so they need to be more competent in their strengths they can demonstrate on occasion. Maric, is an exception. His strengths far outweigh the weakness, as long as he can get his fitness and agility at 100%.

yep there is still room for an old fashioned ruckmen who is prepared to work his butt off.Ty has great strength ,but uses as you say for the wrong reasons ,more often to the detriment of the team.Frustrating ,but gee i wish he would get on his bike more often and work his opponent a bit harder early as his height and strength would come into his advantage as his opponent tires.Sadly i still think he has a Marklin train big boy tank rather than a chf/ruck one

Dropping a game that will cost us a top 4 spot is not a game we could afford to drop.
Dropping a game where we had a chance to knock a serious rival out of the finals race is not a game we could afford to lose.
Dropping a game against a side that may mean we now have to travel back to adelaide oval in the first week of finals is not a game we could afford to lose.

Finally getting belted in such a way and having the old weaknesses come back life cant be good for any team leading into a finals series.
We have never ever been good enough where we can afford to drop games, yet alone drop such an important game where we just got humbled.

Great analysis we are half a game from being out of the 8 And still to play Norf and Gold Coast who we have such great records , last week everyone was talking top 4

Some one said we are playing finals I said lose to Adelaide and all bets are off

We could still finish 9 th even with our great wins, percentage us crucial yet we can't buy a goal

I dont know what to think. Sick of us being the laughing stock.

We can not 'afford' to lose any games. No matter what spin you put on it.

wtf is Ty doing snotting someone in the first quarter.
If you actually saw what he did, all he did shove a player out and he didn't even get him high at all. Massive BS call from the ump. Saw clear jumper punches from other players all week and nothing from the umps.

If you actually saw what he did, all he did shove a player out and he didn't even get him high at all. Massive BS call from the ump. Saw clear jumper punches from other players all week and nothing from the umps.
looked to me that he got him in the neck/adams apple. jumper punches are just silly when you seek to win a game. they have some high falutin idea of unsociable football? they aint hawthorn yet, and by all chances, never will be. just get the W first, dont be soft, cos that wont help get the W. But lets say there was a 10% chance the Tigers could have been up and about if he kicked that goal, Lennon. Yeah, it looked like the Tigs never came to play, and Hardwick never had an answer in the box, p'raps there was no answer. But there is a small degree of randomness the bounce and momentum could have swung in the Tigs favour, and it kickstarted them before Adelaide could get their momentum. Because obviously they were far superior for all but the opening 5 minutes when they broke even. So this would have been two goals up. Very very minor, a minuscule chance, that the game could have turned out different. No needs for a brain fade Ty.

Also, in his defense of his last suspension, it was absurd he got a week AND a tooth out. If anything, he was the worse off from the two contests, yet the MRP saw fit to give him two. Absolute numpties at MRP.

Great analysis we are half a game from being out of the 8 And still to play Norf and Gold Coast who we have such great records , last week everyone was talking top 4

Some one said we are playing finals I said lose to Adelaide and all bets are off

We could still finish 9 th even with our great wins, percentage us crucial yet we can't buy a goal

Please don't even mention that word 9th . lol

Yeah like hawthorn and sydney :/
how many times to the hawks or sydney demolish opponents by 50-100 points? we only have 1 good sized win this year (against brisbane). And they cant afford any loss because it impacts their chance of making top 2 or 4. At the moment we are still a good chance of missing the 8 so we cannot afford to lose matches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back