FTA-TV Late Shows - Mega Thread

Who's your favourite Late Night host/show?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

There's probably an old thread but the hosts have changed a fair bit recently so why not.

So during my Springsteen trip I was (obviously) staying up late regularly, and got to watching Craig Ferguson. He is awesome. He seems genuinely real, accessible, spontaneous and like he's just doing what he wants. Unlike any other Late Night show I'd seen in a long time. He talks seriously about serious issues, is blunt about his past, while at the same time being off the wall hilarious.

Contrasting this I just downloaded and started watching my first episode of Letterman in a long time and my god. It is terrible. I understand there's a big difference between 11.30 (Letterman) and 12.30 (Ferguson) but still. Letterman is just so stale and sterile. It feels like I'm watching a computer program run to specific formulas.

For a contrast in relevance, tonight's episodes both mentioned the Ukraine. Ferguson spoke seriously and got angry about it. Letterman?

Ferguson: You know it feels like all this has happened before in Germany. Pick up a f***ing history book people.
Letterman: Haha Chicken Kiev

I kid you not that was how Letterman handled the issue. With a stupid, unfunny, prompted joke. Talk about irrelevant.

Haven't seen much of Jimmy Fallon since he took over the Tonight show but I get the feeling he wouldn't be like that at all. He seems a very quick, funny, real guy. I think he'd be great.

So obviously Ferguson is who I go for, who's your poison? Who do you like? And who don't you like?

I've always had a soft spot for Letterman, so it pains me to see the how the show has deteriorated over the past few years. I don't think all the blame can go to him. You quite often see him tell a joke that he knows is lame and shoot a glance at the producer and you can see he's thinking "Really? This is the crap our writers are coming up with?". He did a Top 10 list about Donuts a few weeks back and you could see he didn't want to finish it by about number 7. It was that lame.

Ferguson on the other hand is a breath of fresh air. Can handle any situation and seems to ad lib most of his jokes. It is quite funny to see some of his guest wondering what the * is going on sometimes.

Ferguson is sadly leaking down into the mediocrity these days too. His interviews are still the best part, but Craig has been phoning in the monologues and tweets/emails segment for the past 12-18 months. It really pains me to say that, as I haven't missed an episode in 4-5 years.

Conan is hilarious consistently, although the interviews can be a bit too planned out. His out of studio sketches are the best their is.

I've also recently started watching Fallon after his tonight show takeover, and the first couple of weeks have been really good. Seth Meyers, not so much.

For those who haven't seen Craig and wonder what I mean by real and accessible, this introduction from the day of the Boston Bombing should answer it. Incredible. I can't see any other Late Night honest talking like this.

Ferguson is a gun.

Love his blatant flirting with attractive female guests.

Ferguson for me. Doesn't rely on his guests at all. Can have someone on I've never heard of and it's still entertaining.

Of the other big 3, I'd say Conan, but can only handle him in small doses.

Fallon and his fake laugh makes me want to break the TV.

Conan easily, love his self deprecating, goofball style of comedy. I preferred his old Late Night show on NBC to his current show on TBS but it still produces some gold like when he did that Civil War re-enactment.

Haven't watched that much of Craig Ferguson, he's OK but I don't find him as funny or entertaining as Conan.

From what I saw of Jimmy Fallon on Late Night he was pretty s**t as a host, was only good for doing SNL style impressions. Haven't seen Seth Meyers show at all but can imagine he'd be similar to Fallon.

I don't mind Letterman but he's not as good as he was back in his 90s halcyon days when he was the king of late night, he still does some great interviews though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Larry Sanders for me

larrysanders-772677.jpg

One of the all time great comedies, a fly-on-the-wall, behind-the-scenes take on the late show phenomenon.

PS. I don't mind Bing Hitler

When is Conan even on? I think he's on Much (the music channel) here. His profile seems to have gone downhill.
I'm guessing Australian networks have a lot less deals in place for cable networks, compared to the FTA networks the other major late night players are on.

I don't watch them as much as I used to, but I really loved Dave back in the day. Craig was a breath of fresh air, but I saw a few recent episodes and they were a lot different. I'm sure the interviews still rule but everything else about the show was worse. Also he needs to ditch all the other stuff and stick with mouth organ or awkward pause. The original and the best.

Unforgivable ManWithNoName has neglected The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and The Colbert Report in the poll. They are by some measure the best currently.

Jimmy Kimmel Live!
also a strange omission. He's been directly competing against Letterman and ̶L̶e̶n̶o̶ Fallon on US free-to-air for years.

Back