FTA-TV Late Shows - Mega Thread

Who's your favourite Late Night host/show?

• Total voters

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Letterman is overrated.

Ferguson is good but he'd have to change his style a fair bit to appeal Letterman's baby boomers. I wouldn't bet on him getting the jerb.
Yep, I agree. A reasonable chunk of Letterman's audience would be older fuddy-duddies who, I reckon, rush to turn to turn off Ferguson before their ears are damaged by his naughtiness
:D

Mar 16, 2007
Showers Stand
AFL Club
Essendon
It's funny that this would happen today, I flicked over to Letterman last night after not watching him for a while, and I thought he had the look of a man who didn't want to be there.

Letterman was always number one in my book, but over the past few years Craig Ferguson has been must watch TV from my point of view.

In some ways I don't want him to move because I don't want him to change, but I think that he will get the gig, and he deserves it.

It's funny that this would happen today, I flicked over to Letterman last night after not watching him for a while, and I thought he had the look of a man who didn't want to be there.

Letterman was always number one in my book, but over the past few years Craig Ferguson has been must watch TV from my point of view.

In some ways I don't want him to move because I don't want him to change, but I think that he will get the gig, and he deserves it.
Got a similar vibe when I watched him a few weeks ago. It was like he was just going through the motions.

Ferguson will have to lift his game in the next 6 months to be anywhere even close to getting the earlier job.
He's said he doesn't want it, basically for that reason. He likes the freedom to do what he wants which he wouldn't get at 11.30

alfy!

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
He's said he doesn't want it, basically for that reason. He likes the freedom to do what he wants which he wouldn't get at 11.30
He'd likely have to change his tone from what it's been for the past ~18 months, but he certainly could do well at 11:30. Doing what he wants apparently is phoning it in and getting worse and worse sadly.

He'd likely have to change his tone from what it's been for the past ~18 months, but he certainly could do well at 11:30. Doing what he wants apparently is phoning it in and getting worse and worse sadly.

I watched it 18 months ago to two years ago, stopped, came back a few months ago. It's definitely a different kind of show now but I don't think it's worse. If anything I think it's better. The I don't give a * attitude and what not I find hilarious, it can be hit and miss because of how much more improvised it is than any other late night show but when it hits its far better than any of the others.

I think he likes to give the impression he's phoning it in but I dont think he is.

alfy!

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I watched it 18 months ago to two years ago, stopped, came back a few months ago. It's definitely a different kind of show now but I don't think it's worse. If anything I think it's better. The I don't give a **** attitude and what not I find hilarious, it can be hit and miss because of how much more improvised it is than any other late night show but when it hits its far better than any of the others.

I think he likes to give the impression he's phoning it in but I dont think he is.
Start watching it every day and you'll quickly tire of the antics. It's less improvised than you think; he does the same act every night pretty much. The interviews are obviously still the high point though.

Good choice
I wonder if John Oliver might get Stephen Colberts timeslot.He was good filling in for Jon Stewart.
John Oliver's show on HBO starts this month. Couldn't see him leaving that soon to go back to Comedy Central.

AtomicBlonde

Cancelled
Sep 23, 2010
Sugar Town
AFL Club
Essendon
I agree that Letterman has been phoning it in for years but from the early eighties through to the mid-nineties, he was easily the best late show host going around. Clearly stayed about six yeas too long but at his peak he was edgy and gave his guests a hard time whenever he felt like it. One of my favourite interviews is this one from 1986 when Cher made her first appearance on the show and was the first of his guests to throw it back at him (calling him an "arsehole") and her subsequent appearances over the years were always great value due to their flirtatious banter.

Aug 2, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Packers, Bulls, Ducks, Angels
Good for colbert. But personally I was hoping neither he nor stewart got the job as I love their shows so much. I really dont see how anyone can take over the colbert report

Mar 26, 2008
Fight Club
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
76ers, Storm, Broad St.
I'm absolutely going to miss Letterman. We can talk about running through the motions and whatnot, but that's been part of the appeal for me. When he hasn't got a guest on where he gives zero *s about what the person has to say, it's quality viewing. He was pretty much the first late night show I would watch, and still the one I'll check back in on the most. At least Ten did something right there.

As for Colbert, I'm looking forward to it. I'll definitely miss the Report but in truth I only really watch it from the Primaries to the election, where my regular fix is mainly with the Daily Show. Doing the exact current iteration of the Late Show with Stephen isn't going to work so it'll be interesting how they make it fit Colbert without losing the Late Show vibe or whatever.

It's a shame that John Oliver is on HBO now, be the perfect replacement.

Back