Lavan Ruban’s mid-season Phantom AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Lavan Ruban

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I've created a 50-pick Phantom AFL Draft to coincide with the middle of the AFL season and the Under 18 Championships.

The first twenty picks have been chosen with regard to a club's shortcomings, whereas thereafter players are more so ranked.

http://madmondayshow.com/2014/06/13/lavan-rubans-mid-season-phantom-afl-draft/.

1. Greater Western Sydney - Patrick McCartin
  2. St Kilda - Peter Wright
  3. Brisbane - Sam Durdin
  4. Melbourne - Angus Brayshaw
  5. Western Bulldogs - Hugh Goddard
  6. Richmond - Christian Petracca
  7. Carlton - Caleb Marchbank
  8. West Coast - Jarrod Pickett
  9. Adelaide - Lachie Weller
  10. Gold Coast - Liam Duggan
  11. North Melbourne - Jake Lever
  12. Fremantle - Clem Smith
  13. Geelong - Tom Lamb
  14. Gold Coast - Brayden Maynard
  15. Collingwood - Darcy Moore (F/S)
  16. Sydney - Isaac Heeney (Zone)
  17. Hawthorn - Touk Miller
  18. Port Adelaide - Peter Bampton
  19. Essendon - Jackson Nelson
  20. Greater Western Sydney - Corey Ellis
View the remaining picks at Mad Monday Show: http://madmondayshow.com/2014/06/13/lavan-rubans-mid-season-phantom-afl-draft/.

With the depth of the draft and the chance that there will be some sliders from the first round into the second, is there a chance that Waterman may not get bid on before our second pick?

With the depth of the draft and the chance that there will be some sliders from the first round into the second, is there a chance that Waterman may not get bid on before our second pick?

Waterman's four WAFL games thus far this season, statistically speaking, have been exceptional. At this rate, you'll likely need to use your first selection. I've allocated him your second round selection in the Phantom Draft only due to his seven-game absence. Nonetheless, if you can get him in the second round it'll be a massive steal.

Last edited:

What is the reason you see us taking Durdin would have thought Brisbane Lions needed a key forward more than the Defender

Durdin can play as a key forward as well, yet is better suited as a key defender. The alternative choice Hugh Goddard is a bit too slow to dominate as a KF.

Lions could trade for an earlier selection and go McCartin - the best KF in the draft - because I doubt that any team which trades for the first selection would pick anyone but him.

Tyler Keitel is dominating for East Perth, and will probably go late in the first round or early in the second. I see Keitel as the third best key forward of the crop, after McCartin and Wright.

Last edited:
What list shortcomings did you see Clem Smith filling? Good player, and I am fine with taking him. I just get an inkling that in Mock Drafts posters usually have us going for WA players as a default, whereas our recent history doesn"t reflect this.

EDIT; Just checked the remainder of your draft and you have all of Fremantle and WC selections coming from WA, and most of Adelaide and Port's selections too.

Last edited:
What list shortcomings did you see Clem Smith filling? Good player, and I am fine with taking him. I just get an inkling that in Mock Drafts posters usually have us going for WA players as a default, whereas our recent history doesn"t reflect this.

Bit difficult allocating Smith to Freo; I like the list and wouldn't change much. However, Smith is disciplined, and can play in a range of positions. I reckon he could play a Danyle Pearce-like role off HB in the future.

Interesting. I'd have that as arguably his biggest weakness, especially after speaking with a few people over in WA.

Oh wow, I've heard otherwise. I've only been following the TAC Cup closely. The rest of the draft crop are in my phantom draft solely upon what I've heard and statistical analysis.

Bit difficult allocating Smith to Freo; I like the list and wouldn't change much. However, Smith is disciplined, and can play in a range of positions. I reckon he could play a Danyle Pearce-like role off HB in the future.

Just added to my post not realising that you had replied.

For the SA and WA teams you have all but 1 of their players coming from their home state. This is something that many Phantom Drafts do. Your post begins with a claim to addressing shortcomings in a team's list, but a clear bias exists towards home-grown players. You may be surprised to have a look at Fremantle's drafts and see how many home grown players have been taken.

For the SA and WA teams you have all but 1 of their players coming from their home state. This is something that many Phantom Drafts do. Your post begins with a claim to addressing shortcomings in a team's list, but a clear bias exists towards home-grown players. You may be surprised to have a look at Fremantle's drafts and see how many home grown players have been taken.

Fair enough, I'll sort it out ahead of my end-of-year phantom draft. I can see Smith specifically being taken by West Coast, Adelaide, Gold Coast, and North Melbourne.

Not saying he is undisciplined in general, particularly off the field or anything. More that as a defender, he makes Chris Yarran look like Ryan Crowley.

Ah, okay. I wouldn't trade him for his defensive qualities. It's the attacking qualities which make him attractive. Forward or back pockets or flanks, or a wing would be suitable for him next year if he adds on a bit more weight on over the pre-season. Of course, Freo are defensive, for that reason at Freo I reckon he'd play up forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough, I'll sort it out ahead of my end-of-year phantom draft. I can see Smith specifically being taken by West Coast, Adelaide, Gold Coast, and North Melbourne.

I think it is something to be aware of that is all. WC have gone almost exclusively for WA talent recently.

Smith looks like a great opion, but by the time the season has shaken down and "other" picks have come into play I don't see him as an option for us. If he did slide to our pick, he may well be taken.

Kietel is one that grabs me, and de Gooey sounds quite interesting. i think we are still in the process of building our attack post-Pav. A pressing need is going to be a KPD with a bit of class.

Smith looks like a great opion, but by the time the season has shaken down and "other" picks have come into play I don't see him as an option for us. If he did slide to our pick, he may well be taken.

Kietel is one that grabs me, and de Gooey sounds quite interesting. i think we are still in the process of building our attack post-Pav. A pressing need is going to be a KPD with a bit of class.

I'm thinking Jake Lever's injury could see him drop down to Fremantle's pick. Expecting them to select at least one key position player.

I like Keitel a lot and suspect he could be one to shoot up the draft order; the same could happen with Caleb Marchbank.

Jack Hayes or Sean McLaren could go to Freo in the second round, or Jesse Watchman in the third.

Reckon we'll take a KPP with our 2nd pick. Like the Lachie Weller pick, has he got decent speed?

I'm thinking Jake Lever's injury could see him drop down to Fremantle's pick. Expecting them to select at least one key position player.

I like Keitel a lot and suspect he could be one to shoot up the draft order; the same could happen with Caleb Marchbank.

Jack Hayes or Sean McLaren could go to Freo in the second round, or Jesse Watchman in the third.

It is probably the big question with this draft; Who is going to go TALL with their first pick?

If many choose to go tall then I have no problem with us going small/mid. de Goey, Smith, Pickett, Petracca. Good options. But I do love the sound of Keitel.

It is probably the big question with this draft; Who is going to go TALL with their first pick?

If many choose to go tall then I have no problem with us going small/mid. de Goey, Smith, Pickett, Petracca. Good options. But I do love the sound of Keitel.

If you guys can get Keitel for your first pick would be a huge bargain.
I honestly think he going to be special at the next level.

With our healthy supply of KPF talent do you think there is any chance GWS punts Pickett with our first selection??

We have had a couple of kids go home early with homesickness but he is the player more than any that fits what we need aka burst small with run and skill.

Personally I would punt him as I really don't think we need another KPF, our mids are good and defenders like Haynes, Davis and Plowman starting to come through.

IMO if I were GWS I would be trading down the order and getting benefit from that whilst putting themselves in a position to pick a classy mid without wasting a high pick on picking for needs not best available.

Reckon we'll take a KPP with our 2nd pick. Like the Lachie Weller pick, has he got decent speed?

I'm not too sure about his speed, as I don't follow U18 competitions outside Victoria as much as I do the TAC Cup. The standout characteristic of Weller is his skill with the ball. He can win his own footy, make time for himself, and can hit the target by foot.

With our healthy supply of KPF talent do you think there is any chance GWS punts Pickett with our first selection??

We have had a couple of kids go home early with homesickness but he is the player more than any that fits what we need aka burst small with run and skill.

Personally I would punt him as I really don't think we need another KPF, our mids are good and defenders like Haynes, Davis and Plowman starting to come through.

IMO if I were GWS I would be trading down the order and getting benefit from that whilst putting themselves in a position to pick a classy mid without wasting a high pick on picking for needs not best available.

I believe that GWS will trade the first selection away, if they have it, and the team which receives the pick will select McCartin. I reckon Petracca would be fantastic for the Giants. Can play virtually anywhere. Pickett is another versatile one who can be played in many positions.

Personally, I don't reckon GWS will be able to land Petracca, but Pickett could drop as low as selection 14 or 15.

Miller is no chance of going first round to the HAWKS....Besides the 4 blokes you named after him are infinitely superior!.....Spare me.

Also, if Waterman doesn't get picked up by W/C with their first pick then he'll be going somewhere else!
so you think waterman will be a top 7-8 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back