Other Lawn bowls

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 11, 2007
Kerang
AFL Club
Collingwood
Premiers of the last 8 years!!!!

No relegation/promotion system there?
Lol no mate! Northern District are down to seven teams in Division 1. There were 3 other teams in Division 1 but numbers meant they had to drop back to Division 2. The quality of Division 1 here for a small association though is very good.

drawza

Team Captain
Oct 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Aces, MU, Broncos & Saints (NFL)
Been playing for 10 years, love the game and I am only 23. The one downside of Melbourne bowls is the size of the clubs compared to mega clubs in nsw and qld. But then again that can be viewed as a positive.

Jan 11, 2007
Kerang
AFL Club
Collingwood
Been playing for 10 years, love the game and I am only 23. The one downside of Melbourne bowls is the size of the clubs compared to mega clubs in nsw and qld. But then again that can be viewed as a positive.

What club drawza?
Also I imagine there would be many try outs for the Region Sides Championships around the state. Speaking to a mate in Strezlecki region and their try outs are this Sunday I am led to believe. Murray Mallee and Wimmera had theirs at Beulah last Sunday with their teams announced to go to Corowa.

Jan 11, 2007
Kerang
AFL Club
Collingwood
Seeking some mail on a young fellow by the name of Aron Rogers. He plays with a Ballarat club in the Geelong premier league apparently and gets paid $500 per game. Shaneo you may have something here. I am sceptical to think that this is the case but have been wrong before. Only 19 so hence the scepticism. Does anyone know of this young player?

So keeping the thread going. Wondering what bowls we all use.. I have a set of navy greenmaster premiers stamped 18 with a cats logo on them (thanks k rudd)
Love them but actually considering getting a new set.. play a lot on synthetic in geelong and just have to take so much grass with mine. On a grass green they are great but on a carpet or plastic not so much..

Also anyone watch the premier League on Fox 2 this week just gone? And thoughts on it. Great format for me... very entertaining to watch as well and some fantastic bowls played.. those guys at the top level are guns

Jan 11, 2007
Kerang
AFL Club
Collingwood
So keeping the thread going. Wondering what bowls we all use.. I have a set of navy greenmaster premiers stamped 18 with a cats logo on them (thanks k rudd)
Love them but actually considering getting a new set.. play a lot on synthetic in geelong and just have to take so much grass with mine. On a grass green they are great but on a carpet or plastic not so much..

Also anyone watch the premier League on Fox 2 this week just gone? And thoughts on it. Great format for me... very entertaining to watch as well and some fantastic bowls played.. those guys at the top level are guns

I have Premiers as well. Yellow bastards that are starting to crack so may have to get a new set soon.
As for the Premier League, how good was it to watch that? Top level alright with world champions everywhere. If Flapper and Fisher turn up to Corowa in that form then good luck the rest!

Jan 13, 2001
Waiting at the door for the pub to reopen
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Man City
I have Premiers as well. Yellow bastards that are starting to crack so may have to get a new set soon.
As for the Premier League, how good was it to watch that? Top level alright with world champions everywhere. If Flapper and Fisher turn up to Corowa in that form then good luck the rest!
Corowa generally throws up a surprise each year, so doesn't always follow that form in November will carry through into January.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers

Didn't see any of it as I don't have Foxtel but most people I know who saw it liked it. Bit of criticism that the Perth Suns only had one West Australian but I think the organisers would have preferred the best players available rather than a bunch of state teams. For what it's worth, I met a couple of people from the major sponsor of the Perth Suns and they were happy with the exposure they received.

Meanwhile, I have Redline SRs, bright green and gold. The logo is the scales of justice, which I say is a reminder that there is no justice in bowls.

big_e

Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
So how's everyone's season going? I was dropped from fourth division to sixth - bearing in mind we don't have a fifth - after a few bad weeks and a loss of confidence. But the confidence returned after a couple of good weeks in the lower division. Plus the lower division is on top of the ladder so it's not too bad really.

I just had a couple of weeks off after whacking myself in the foot with a cricket bat, plus we're on the Christmas break so I can't wait to get out there again and see if I can either get back up to fourth again or help sixth win promotion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 11, 2007
Kerang
AFL Club
Collingwood
Region sides championships were held in Corowa last weekend. Metro West proving the best team beating Sandbelt in the semi before Murray Mallee in the final. Our club will be going again after we had the bye weekend just gone. We are on top but with an exodus of our club champions will be hard to get going again.

Jan 11, 2007
Kerang
AFL Club
Collingwood
Must admit did enjoy seeing Northern Gateway crash and burn this year, lost their section to Murray Mallee and were also lucky to beat Strzelcki. When you consider the talent that they have at their disposal they were been favs going into the event.
It was a thing of beauty! There were many glum faces afterwards! Did you play Slax?
I see that Bowls Victoria has sent out a proposal to the regions to attempt to change the format. 2 sections of eight sides, 3 games played on both Friday and Saturday, one on Sunday morning and final of the 2 section winners in the afternoon. Apparently to maximize the stay and enjoyment of those teams who don't make it through to Sunday. Not entirely sure why the status quo needs to change.

Jan 13, 2001
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Man City
It was a thing of beauty! There were many glum faces afterwards! Did you play Slax?
I see that Bowls Victoria has sent out a proposal to the regions to attempt to change the format. 2 sections of eight sides, 3 games played on both Friday and Saturday, one on Sunday morning and final of the 2 section winners in the afternoon. Apparently to maximize the stay and enjoyment of those teams who don't make it through to Sunday. Not entirely sure why the status quo needs to change.
Didn't play this year, but know a lot of blokes who were up there and got plenty of feedback, also have had more than enough experience in dealing with Ken Lee (chairman Northern Gateway) to know that all he cares about is winning.

The changes also have a lot to do with the fact that once you are out of the running in your group, players have been known to hit the sauce for the rest of the weekend.

Last round of pennant tomorrow. My team are 7th, but only only 5 points from 4th.
4th play the top side, 5th and 6th who are 1 point above us play each other, we play the bottom team. Results go our way and we could sneak in!

big_e

Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Really good year at our club this year. Premier League team is one game out of the top four with three games to go, third division is in on top, fourth division is in second and sixth is on top, too.

Last round of pennant tomorrow. My team are 7th, but only only 5 points from 4th.
4th play the top side, 5th and 6th who are 1 point above us play each other, we play the bottom team. Results go our way and we could sneak in!

Well we won and got 16 points
But unfortunately for us the team in 4th beat the top side so that's us done for the year

2 weeks in a row really cost us, we didn't get any points one week despite only going down by 8 overall.... then the next week we had 3 rinks up and lost..

Jan 13, 2001
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Man City
Finals week in Melbourne

Premier Division
Brighton v Clayton (Qualifying Final) - Clayton by a long way. Yes Brighton finished on top, but with the dumbest thing I've ever heard, 5 of their Premier side are going on a cruise this week and miss the finals, they booked the cruise 6 months ago despite knowing they had a strong team with a massive home ground advantage so win 3 games away and you'll play finals, seeing Burwood & Yarraville-Footscray were a given only need one more and they were going to be there. Also should be noted coming of an absolute hiding away to Bundoora where apparently they rolled up already defeated and lacking any morale.
Melbourne v Moonee Ponds (Elimination Final) - Moonee Ponds

Winner GF - Clayton

Div 1 - Section winners
Section 1 - Bundoora 2 - comes down to the Bundoora v Werribee semi to be played at Bundoora, whoever wins this will beat the winner of Deer Park v Kew Heights
Section 2 - Lalor. Fitzroy-Victoria can count themselves unlucky to be in this section, had they been in Section 1 they would've won it, but as the sectional final is on grass at Essendon will go with Lalor.
Section 3 - Lilydale, but not really sure it matters, weakest section in Div 1 by a fair margin, winner will get flogged in Semi Final.
Section 4 - Yarra Glen.

Promoted to Premier Division - Lalor & Yarra Glen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back