Lawyers at the tribunal?

Remove this Banner Ad

lawyers make a career by confusing facts and presenting arguments that attempt to diminish person responsibility in an attempt get the best ruling in court.

at the tribunal a player is not required but allowed to have representative speak for them.
clubs have the money to higher the best damn lawyer to be that representative.

so who are you going to get to make out like sucker punching someone was simply momentum? or find a loophole?
You get the best person you can afford in this case a QC.

the sooner people understand this the better they will understand the tribunals s**t decisions. look at barry halls hit, a technicality got him off, the video the AFL floated around meant Hall was guaranteed to get off.

this was a technical * up from the AFL that video should never have gone out, your mate bob from the player union wouldn't have thought to look at that as a defence. but a QC that goes up against police prosecutors for seeming open and shut cases on a daily basis? that was like christmas.

Could someone please explain to me why a lawyer (actually it is usually a QC) is required to represent a player at the tribunal? Is the tribunal a legal body? Can it hand out civil law sentences?

It's not required. But a player is allowed an advocate and who better to argue on their behalf on a point of (footy) law than a lawyer.

Usually a club supporter who does it gratis.

The system is broken. The player should be made to front a crowd at the MCG, where he will plead his case to footy fans. If the crowd cheers the player is released from custody, if the crowd boo's the player is remanded. A decibel meter will be used to measure the boos, the louder the boos, the longer the suspension.

Pretty sure this bloke is North's advocate:

lionel_hutz1.jpg

The system is broken. The player should be made to front a crowd at the MCG, where he will plead his case to footy fans. If the crowd cheers the player is released from custody, if the crowd boo's the player is remanded. A decibel meter will be used to measure the boos, the louder the boos, the longer the suspension.

Unfortunately this would probably be a better system than the current one.

Isn't that pretty much what happened during Roman times at the Colosseum?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dumbest system I have ever heard. MCG? Seriously?

Surely the venue should be the major stadium in the player's home state.

Totally irrelevant comment, but as soon as I read the thread title the old 70's tune 'Midnight At The Oasis' (Maria Muldaur) entered my head, where it will stay and annoy the crap out of me all day.

Could someone please explain to me why a lawyer (actually it is usually a QC) is required to represent a player at the tribunal? Is the tribunal a legal body? Can it hand out civil law sentences?

What is hilarious is what was admitted by Hodge.. and then the 'deliberations'.. *wink wink say no more* >> thais situation/ solution is no different to the umpires interpretations of any rule… (read: make it up as you go along so long as the better team gets the benefit). Judges decision (read: guess) is final. Dust off the hands and move on.

The legal system = a boys club classic.

As a player fronting the tribunal you are going to want the best representation possible. It isn't required to have a lawyer (it's not required for you to have a lawyer to represent you are taken to court, you can represent yourself if you so choose) but on average I'd say you're going to get a better outcome with a QC representing you than without.

My Dad is (or at least used to be) an advocate for a VFL club. He has no qualifications whatsoever in being a lawyer. However he would know the law pretty well for his job and is a big footy fan

Welease Wyan Cwowey

Might have something to do with the presumption of natural justice. The Tribunal is a quasi legal court administering the rules of the game, and given the $$ implications involved in players being suspended, too much is at stake to get it wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back