LCHF- Low Carb / High-Healthy Fat lifestyle.

Remove this Banner Ad

SUGAR IS NOT CARBS! :)

I've always said that over-consumption of sugar is the big problem. It is probably one of society's biggest health problems, give or take malaria and a couple of other things.

The butter in your morning coffee or avoiding bread like it will make your dick drop off is ridiculous over-complication with no valid evidence to support it. None at all. It is promoted by people wanting to position themselves as experts at the centre of a movement in order to sell books and paraphernalia.
There's a difference between simply reducing carbs and being a fundamentalist believing some carbs in a diet will kill you. Most people here fit into the former category.

I still have chocolate biscuits, ice cream, sandwiches, ice cream sandwiches, pizza, rice, lots of milk (though I try to drink water if I think I'm nearing my limit), croissants, bacon and eggs on toast, takeaways, sugar on my Weet-Bix and so on. I still get on the grog at a party.
As I have taken daily alcohol and a daily ~litre of Coke out of my diet, evening cravings for dim sims and a chiko roll have also diminished and the Hungry Jack's doesn't get so much of a look in. Though today I need to visit my comic shop which is two streets away from HJ's = Whopper meal with onion rings for lunch!
I'm glad you've managed to 'flip' your dims sims & chicko roll cravings. Those cravings can be a tough cookie to crack.
So to speak.

No structured daily routine. I eat what I want, when I want, and if I am full I don't usually eat more unless it is a nice roast dinner or a good pasta dish and the dish is right in front of me for an extra helping.
Book to come out in time for Christmas. Buy a copy for someone who won't bother to read it because it is common sense supported by valid science.
"How to lose 6kgs and be an interwebz gazzionaire" is a catchy title.
Some of us don't have a wife (or a bevy of well-paid kitchen staff) so we prepare our own meals - makes things a little easier to eat the way we want.
Fortunately I love a fatty steak (fat = flavor) with veggies, and anyone who tries to feed me margarine will be handed over to ISIS.

Bam!

Speaking of single person studies.

So far, with about 4 weeks of dropping daily coke and alcohol, plus reducing takeaways, I've lost .......

6 kgs.

Although I have only just yesterday started back at the gym.

I still have a good drink at parties and a takeaway about once a week, and haven't changed anything else about my diet and lifestyle.

All without performing any magical rituals or eating mung beans.

What are you claiming this proves? The fact that you drank coke, booze and take away every days shows that you had massive room for improvement so it's no surprise that you've lost weight since abandoning these dreadful habits. However your anecdote says exactly nothing about what you could acheive if you were more proactive about health and getting into shape.

For someone that claims to love the scientific method your post is pathetic.

SUGAR IS NOT CARBS! :)

yeah riiiight :rolleyes:

I still have chocolate biscuits, ice cream, sandwiches, ice cream sandwiches, pizza, rice, lots of milk (though I try to drink water if I think I'm nearing my limit), croissants, bacon and eggs on toast, takeaways, sugar on my Weet-Bix and so on. I still get on the grog at a party.

Well then that is a shitful diet. Good luck with your health mate, you're going to need it :)

What are you claiming this proves? The fact that you drank coke, booze and take away every days shows that you had massive room for improvement so it's no surprise that you've lost weight since abandoning these dreadful habits. However your anecdote says exactly nothing about what you could acheive if you were more proactive about health and getting into shape.

For someone that claims to love the scientific method your post is pathetic.
It is as well-reasoned and researched as anything I've seen in the fad diet scene.

I had thought that because I was keeping up these habits, just reducing them by a large amount, that it would take longer to lose weight. In fact I'd prefer to take a bit longer.

Just eating a normal omnivorous diet - three meals ranging across breakfast cereals, meat, pasta etc, and a daily coffee (sometimes two) plus I'm not being that good with cutting back on milk most days - without counting calories or having any obsessive diet plan. Just remove daily Coke and most daily alcohol, and cut out a few weekly takeaways.

Bang. Weight comes down.

The science backs this up. It doesn't even need me to point it out. Scientists have been studying it for yonks, it turns out.

My point is that people switch from bad eating habits to fad diets, then claim it was the fad diet that made the difference. Science says no, and so do I.

"The science backs this up. It doesn't even need me to point it out. Scientists have been studying it for yonks, it turns out."

No it doesn't.

slider1-2.png

"I predict that within a few years, one of two things will have happened as a result of this important book.

Either Nina will be burned at the stake. Or we will all be eating our food cooked in lard, butter, beef tallow and duck fat, just as we ate it back in the days before Ancel Keys came on the scene. We’ll eat the way we ate when a case of heart disease was an anomaly.

Buy this book now. You will not be disappointed. Give it to every lipophobe you know who is able to read. It will change many minds.

Thanks for hanging in there with me for this very long review. If you’ve read the book, or when you do, feel free to write your own review in the comments section. I look forward to reading them all."

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/low-carb-diets/big-fat-surprise/

Further study of one: Started as I'd had success with it before. First two weeks were stinking, even watching my electrolytes, but it's been good since then. Aside from the benefits mentioned earlier, my running has improved. When I used to run, my legs used to go dead a long time before I ran out of breath, which was frustrating. Cruised through a few 5-6km runs with no such issues. Downside though, my lifting has suffered a bit, and my sprinting has as well. I'm getting hammered in sprint work at training.

I posted a little extract a couple weeks ago about Jack Fitzpatrick's improvement with managing his diabetes since changing to the Paleo/LCHF diet. Here is more of an article. A big who-ha was made in the media when Melbourne announced these diet changes, it was slanted by the media and others reading the media thinking this was the answer to all our (im a Melbourne supporters) problems on the footy field. However like any athlete it is a small piece of the puzzle that makes up the entire picture that being a professional athlete is. Take footy aside, this change in Fitzpatricks diet has changed his life;

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2015-02-06/diet-changes-fitzpatricks-life

can somebody please help me find the post from the member here who went to that seminar at AAMI park. I think it was run by Pete Brukner?
Phinney: talked on how he started when he tried to prove Atkins wrong 30 years ago, then he showed his study's from the 80s.

Burgess: the power have been on it 2 years now, 43 of the 45 players on it as well as coaches, he trains them hard, last year went to Dubai train from minute they hoped of the plane did 100km in 10 days 80% footy 20% running test 3km at start and end with 18 getting PBs all doing HFLC, was not giving to much away he said there was other AFL people in the room. He also mentioned about Liverpool as they play lots of games 3 games a week and how they adopted it to recover quicker. They all only add about 40g extra carbs pre game currently run on 30g daily.

Dr Z: Melbourne doc talked about there players, after season gave them a transition diet now all players full HFLC.

Lots of dumb questions in the crowd just looking for a fight.

Phinney: talked on how he started when he tried to prove Atkins wrong 30 years ago, then he showed his study's from the 80s.

Burgess: the power have been on it 2 years now, 43 of the 45 players on it as well as coaches, he trains them hard, last year went to Dubai train from minute they hoped of the plane did 100km in 10 days 80% footy 20% running test 3km at start and end with 18 getting PBs all doing HFLC, was not giving to much away he said there was other AFL people in the room. He also mentioned about Liverpool as they play lots of games 3 games a week and how they adopted it to recover quicker. They all only add about 40g extra carbs pre game currently run on 30g daily.

Dr Z: Melbourne doc talked about there players, after season gave them a transition diet now all players full HFLC.

Lots of dumb questions in the crowd just looking for a fight.

Thanks heaps. Is 30g daily during season or only off season?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This article is hitting the press everywhere. It pretty much vindicates what we lchf followers believe and basically calls Ancel Keys a dickhead.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...any-solid-scientific-evidence-study-concludes
“Yet replacing one caricature with another does not feel like a solution.”

Dr Alison Tedstone, chief nutritionist at Public Health England, said: “This paper is not critical of current advice on saturated fats but suggests that the advice was introduced prematurely in the 1980s before there was the extensive evidence base that exists today.

“The advice issued by Coma (Committee on Medical Aspects of Food Policy) in 1991 confirmed that eating too much saturated fat can raise cholesterol levels, which increases the risk of heart disease.”

“The advice issued by Coma (Committee on Medical Aspects of Food Policy) in 1991 confirmed that eating too much saturated fat can raise cholesterol levels, which increases the risk of heart disease.”

There is no evidence of Saturated fat being the catalyst in causing heart disease, nor any correlation in high cholesterol being an indicator in CVD..

This was in today's Washington Post re dietary cholesterol.

The U.S. government is poised to withdraw longstanding warnings about cholesterol
By Peter Whoriskey February 10 at 11:35 AM

"The nation’s top nutrition advisory panel has decided to drop its caution about eating cholesterol-laden food, a move that could undo almost 40 years of government warnings about its consumption.

The group’s finding that cholesterol in the diet need no longer be considered a “nutrient of concern” stands in contrast to the committee’s findings five years ago, the last time it convened. During those proceedings, as in previous years, the panel deemed the issue of excess cholesterol in the American diet a public health concern.

The finding follows an evolution of thinking among many nutritionists who now believe that, for healthy adults, eating foods high in cholesterol may not significantly affect the level of cholesterol in the blood or increase the risk of heart disease."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...gstanding-warnings-about-dietary-cholesterol/

Medscape Cardiology
An Interview With The Big Fat Surprise Author Nina Teicholz
Tricia Ward, Nina Teicholz
February 09, 2015

Editor's Note:
The role of dietary fat, particularly saturated fat, in coronary artery disease (CAD) has been debated. The 2013 American Heart Association/American College of Cardiology Guideline on Lifestyle Management to Reduce Cardiovascular Risk continues to recommend a diet comprising 5%-6% saturated fat.

With meta-analyses challenging the notion that saturated fat intake increases CAD risk, perhaps it's no surprise that among the New York Times best-selling books in 2014 was The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat & Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet. The author, Nina Teicholz, spoke with theheart.org | Medscape Cardiology.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/839061?src=stfb

And egg yolks.
The way i've seen it, people from all avenues of diet, be it vego's, vegans, even standard Australian diets with a mind to reduce fat consumption are going to have some sort of stance on dairy or saturated fat or animal products, albeit misguided - which in the past has made things like egg yolks easy pickings as a point of contention in dietary discussion.

But something like avocado, or moreso coconut oil where there are no points of contention purely aside from the saturated fat content of course.. For people to still suggest that eating it in excess isn't advised because of purely this reason is silly.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back