Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
Alex Leapai VS Malik Scott (USA) @ Brisbane Entertainment Centre Boondall 24th October

* Malik Scott currently in camp with Wladimir Klitschko

*Make or break for both fighters.

Play video

404354-d0147486-2916-11e4-943a-734490773104.jpg

Alex Leapai training at the Valley Pool in Brisbane. He will next fight American Malik Scott. Source: News Corp Australia
FOUR months after he was swamped by right hands from the world heavyweight champion, Alex Leapai is diving back into the deep end.
Flamboyant American Malik Scott, a lookalike for basketball great Dennis Rodman, has agreed to face Leapai at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre on October 24.
Leapai, 34, became the first Australian in 106 years to fight for the world heavyweight title when he challenged Wladimir Klitschko in Oberhausen, Germany on April 26, losing by stoppage in the fifth round.
Scott, 33, who has 36 wins, two losses and a draw in 39 pro fights, is presently working as a Klitschko sparring partner at the Austrian ski resort of Going, as the Ukrainian great prepares to defend his title against undefeated Bulgarian Kubrat Pulev in Hamburg on September 6. At 193cm, Scott will have a 10cm height advantage over the powerful Logan truck driver.
Leapai, who spends hours in the swimming pool to build his fitness and treat a long-term calf injury, says the Scott fight is “make or break’’ for him following his world title defeat.
“Boxing gave me a second chance in life after I went to jail as a young guy,’’ Leapai said. “Now a win over Malik Scott will help me get a second chance at a world title fight.’’
The heavily tattooed American is likely to visit Brisbane next week to sign the contract for the fight, which will be a pay-per-view program on Main Event.
A former Junior Olympics and Junior World Amateur champion, Scott was unbeaten in his first 36 pro fights but in the last two years has suffered stoppage losses against highly rated Englishman Dereck Chisora and the WBC’s top contender, American Deontay Wilder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back