LeBron Wingard

Remove this Banner Ad

Why not? :p

LeBron Wingard
CHAD Wingard didn’t get much love from his Port Adelaide teammates last year when he demanded he be nicknamed “LeBron”.
Wingard, an NBA fanatic, suggested he be named after Miami superstar LeBron James, such was his big game heroics for the Power.
LeBron Wingard

Tom Clurey reckons Chad doesn't mind watching a bit of footy

Former housemate and teammate Tom Clurey told the Herald Sun that Wingard doesn’t watch much footy on TV, “unless he’s played all right and he’ll sit down and watch the Port game”.

Fantastic player to watch, brilliant first 50 games, already an All Australian. Could be anything.

Lulz. I love Chad Wingard, but nobody loves Chad Wingard as much as Chad Wingard loves Chad Wingard :D
Have to disagree, my daughter is building a Chad Wingard shrine in her bedroom, she chucked a massive wobbly when she couldn't get a small guernsey with his number and name on it from the merch shop :D

Yep he is a self lover... nothing wrong with that. If I was that good I would self love too!

Chad clearly knows he's good but not in an aloof way. Jackson and the other boys are very close to him and ride him pretty hard apparently. He's made well aware of the effort required to fulfil his prodigious talent.
Yeah I'd call Chad Wingard cocky rather than outright arrogant. I'm not sure though as I haven't actually met him, but arrogance/cockyness is just a product of talent and success AFAIC. Its how you treat people who aren't as good as you, particularly when they make mistakes that really defines a person. And of course with footy how you treat your opponent when the game is over.

I seem to recall another Chad who had enormous self belief in his own ability & he went alright too.

Nothing wrong with 'the Chad mkII' rating himself as long as he continues to walk the walk, Ken is great at keeping the players grounded the minute he gets too big for his shoes he'll be brought back to earth.

From afl.com today. This sounds like it is just on the right side of the being candid-draft tampering line to me:

Chad Wingard's Giant refusal in lead up to draft

In what was a brave, considerate and mature move, he made it clear to the Giants they'd regret drafting him.

"I was pretty honest in how I was feeling," Wingard said.

"They're trying to build a team from nothing and if I lied to them and said 'yeah I want to be here and I'm going to be here for your future', they're putting all their chips on me [only] to find I want to go home in two years.

"They're pretty much going to lose me for nothing.

"So I think that because I was so honest, they still got to pick someone else who wanted to be there and they didn't get nothing for their pick three, four or five which was what they would have had [me at]."

Chad Wingard's Giant refusal in lead up to draft

Chad clearly knows he's good but not in an aloof way. Jackson and the other boys are very close to him and ride him pretty hard apparently. He's made well aware of the effort required to fulfil his prodigious talent.
If he applies that effort and has the required committment.....Could he be the best player SA has ever produced?

Yeah, can't be considered draft tampering because he still would have gone there, he just wouldn't have stayed. It's GWS's fault for not drafting him and then backing in their "culture" to keep him, like we did with Wines.

Since they lack a culture, being a new franchise, how much money would they have been prepared to throw at him after 2 years to keep him? And would X amount of money been able to convince him to stay?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mmm, because you are in the inner sanctum of the crows and know how his team mates feel about him?

I know someone who is. But you can believe what you like. I was only responding to your post on our board.
I'll put it to you this way. If you care about the culture at your club you'll appoint Rory Sloane as your next captain.

Nothing more needs to be said about Chad. Such an exciting player. He clearly has a lot of self belief but there's no way Ken would allow a player to walk around thinking he owns the place. Extremely hard worker who just wants to be the best.

I seem to recall another Chad who had enormous self belief in his own ability & he went alright too ....
Yeah but that Chad loved being an 'in your face' sort of guy, at least publicly. Was a bit quieter in real life but that's another story.
The cork's out of the bottle with Wingard now so hopefully the media stuff and the unavoidable rebound negativity don't make him reconsider playing AFL footy.

Since they lack a culture, being a new franchise, how much money would they have been prepared to throw at him after 2 years to keep him? And would X amount of money been able to convince him to stay?

The first thing I asked myself when I read the article re Wingard's 'honest' pre-draft talk with Sheedy & Co. was: How many others felt that way and kept quiet, and are on the Giants' list on sufferance?

Didn't Brodie Grundy talk to GWS in similar tone, something like What've you really got to offer?