Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26784548

Losing over 1mil a month.

Players won't continue not being paid what they deserve.

Really need Chellino's takeover to go through to help them out.

So much for FFP ehh.

Speaking of clubs in trouble, Portsmouth have sacked their manager after just 20 games. They are just 2 points off becoming a non league club. Due to their current ownership structure, the decision was made by the fans trust. So much for us knowing better than the club hey.

Unbelievable considering:

Thursday 27th November 2008- Portsmouth 2-2 AC Milan

Saturday 10th August 2014- Portsmouth v Nuneaton Borough
blink.png
How can that happen?

Clubs like QPR and Bolton are heading exactly the same way if they aren't careful.

How do we stop this worrying trend happening to more clubs? FFP clearly isn't working the way it was supposed to, especially for some of the clubs not in the top tier.

Something more practical and aimed at clubs not earning the TV rights deals needs to be implemented to ensure this type of thing can not happen. One shoe doesn't fit all sizes.

We all like to think we are experts of the game so I throw it to the brains on this board. Thoughts, suggestions on what's required?

A lot of it comes down to financial mismanagement, if clubs continue to live outside their means they will risk going into administration. Leeds have had more than a decade to restructure their club so its actually sustainable, instead they've again risked the club's future by pushing too hard for promotion.

A lot of it comes down to financial mismanagement, if clubs continue to live outside their means they will risk going into administration. Leeds have had more than a decade to restructure their club so its actually sustainable, instead they've again risked the club's future by pushing too hard for promotion.
I agree with everything you've said there.

Does there need to be some kind of fail safe that saves fans from their owners? FFP doesn't do enough.

The sad thing is, Leeds have never really been in the hunt for promotion this season despite the debt.

When have Leeds ever been "safe" for any length of time since being in the Prem? Even when they got promoted from League One there were still financial question marks IIRC

Coventry are pretty much gone, 44m in net debt and paying more in interest than actual player wages. Its a shame because they were once a pretty decent club.

Coventry are pretty much gone, 44m in net debt and paying more in interest than actual player wages. Its a shame because they were once a pretty decent club.
Yeah it's a shame, they're a rival of ours. Although we hate them, you still want them around to beat them.

Bolton are more than 150 mil in debt. Its genuinely not sustainable, if it keeps going the way it is, more and more clubs will end up folding.

If big sam didn't get West Ham up in 2012 they would've been in a Coventry like state. Yet, Hammers fans boo him. They know best..

Would they have? I don't think they were that bad financially..

Scary thing is we were days from being identical to Portsmouth. Coventry is another worrying one.
Yep we were the same, going into administration having points deducted only to survive the drop on the final day against Sheffield Wednesday.

Note: Speroni been with us though a relegation game against Sheffield Wednesday to a win against Chelsea in the PL :)

Yep we were the same, going into administration having points deducted only to survive the drop on the final day against Sheffield Wednesday.

Note: Speroni been with us though a relegation game against Sheffield Wednesday to a win against Chelsea in the PL :)

Yeah I do remember those days, not sure how you turned it around so quickly but props!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really sad to see, when I was growing up Leeds where THE main rivals of Liverpool & there was almost more rivalry between Leeds & Man Utd than Liverpool/Man Utd. A city the size of Leeds & a club with the tradition & history of Leeds, well it just shouldn't happen!
But for struggling clubs it's getting harder & harder to compete, Liverpool under Gillette & Hicks:mad: could easily have started down the slippery slope.

Why did the Football League block the takeover? If the guy has already paid 2 months of the player's wages ($6m~) before even becoming the owner, surely he has the club's best interests at heart?

Despite that, you have to wonder who signed off on all the large wages for their squad - to chase promotion, you definitely need to spend but there comes a point when that spending is unsustainable/too risky for the long term future of the club.

Very worrying and definitely a sad state of affairs for these club's fans.

Really hope Portsmouth can also avoid dropping out of the football league - they could go the way of Darlington which was another sad demise in recent times.

The FA/FIFA/UEFA or whoever really need to do something because FFP is flawed. The rich clubs are more protected and gain an unfair advantage over the other clubs and those clubs are often forced to overextend themselves financially to remain competitive/ensure they maintain their status.

Why did the Football League block the takeover? If the guy has already paid 2 months of the player's wages ($6m~) before even becoming the owner, surely he has the club's best interests at heart?

Despite that, you have to wonder who signed off on all the large wages for their squad - to chase promotion, you definitely need to spend but there comes a point when that spending is unsustainable/too risky for the long term future of the club.

Very worrying and definitely a sad state of affairs for these club's fans.

Really hope Portsmouth can also avoid dropping out of the football league - they could go the way of Darlington which was another sad demise in recent times.

The FA/FIFA/UEFA or whoever really need to do something because FFP is flawed. The rich clubs are more protected and gain an unfair advantage over the other clubs and those clubs are often forced to overextend themselves financially to remain competitive/ensure they maintain their status.
They blocked it because he has been in legal trouble before. It's the first guy they've blocked before but I must admit, I wouldn't want him taking over my club even if he was filthy rich.

I don't understand why the players are on that much in any case. Looking at that squad, it's hard to imagine that they genuinely thought it was capable of promotion. There might be a fire sale down at Leeds over the summer.

Definitely agree with your last point, the idea may have been good but it isn't working out the way they would have hoped.

Massimo Cellino was found guilty in Italy of fraud so he's failed the Owner's and Directors test for dishonest conduct. He has 14 days to appeal.

Massimo Cellino was found guilty in Italy of fraud so he's failed the Owner's and Directors test for dishonest conduct. He has 14 days to appeal.

Ah thanks for that - I guess that makes sense then just in case his assets get frozen or something in future (like what happened to Shinawatra at City).

And that's not even a football issue, it's a legal issue. He was guilty of fraud, so he CANNOT be the owner.

They blocked it because he has been in legal trouble before. It's the first guy they've blocked before but I must admit, I wouldn't want him taking over my club even if he was filthy rich.

I don't understand why the players are on that much in any case. Looking at that squad, it's hard to imagine that they genuinely thought it was capable of promotion. There might be a fire sale down at Leeds over the summer.

Definitely agree with your last point, the idea may have been good but it isn't working out the way they would have hoped.

Yeah, their squad has a few well traveled journeyman players and a few on loan from PL clubs but looking at it, it doesn't look particularly strong (so it's hard to see which players are on big coin...).

If they have a firesale, wouldn't mind taking McCormack to replenish our forwards next season (probably with a view of being more a squad/rotation player than a starter).

Yeah, their squad has a few well traveled journeyman players and a few on loan from PL clubs but looking at it, it doesn't look particularly strong (so it's hard to see which players are on big coin...).

If they have a firesale, wouldn't mind taking McCormack to replenish our forwards next season (probably with a view of being more a squad/rotation player than a starter).

Yep, think a lot of clubs will circle for McCormack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back