ICC Leicestershire - The Andrew McDonald Story (ICC 2014 - Mobile)

Remove this Banner Ad

_78567138_pa-11121718.jpg

After playing for Leicestershire in 2010 and 2011, I, Andrew McDonald was remarkably made Coach of Leicestershire county cricket team*, whilst still playing for the South Australian cricket team. I have decided, before the 2014 season begins, that I will announce my playing retirement immediately to focus of coaching the Leicestershire cricket team. I came to this decision upon realising the possible pathways this creates as I head into my mid 30's, personal doubt I'm beginning to have in my body and of course, because I love the club ($$$.)

Admittedly, the last decade and a half hasn't been memorable for the club, with no silverware and no wins for the past two years. Heck, history hasn't been kind to this club, let's have a look at the trophy cabinet.

County Championship (3) – 1975, 1996, 1998
Runners-Up (2) – 1982, 1994
Sunday/National League (2) – 1974, 1977
Runners-up: 1972, 2001

It's time for a change in fortunes. And once I have changed those fortunes, who knows what the future may hold? Silverware? International management for Australia? It's a distant dream right now, but with my playing career over, my managerial journey begins here. First step, win some division two matches.

*TRUE

PLEASE NOTE: I'm playing this on my phone, so I can't post screenshots. The reason I'm playing it on my phone is that through doing it this way, this career can hopefully last a long time and keep people interested. It's also much quicker and easier.

Last edited:
Leicestershire signs Chris Metters
Upon looking at the available recruits for this season, I have decided to take a risk on left arm orthodox spin bowler, Chris Metters, who has constantly struggled with a shoulder injury throughout his career. The risk is fairly great, but if his shoulder holds up, he has fair upside with a bowling average of just 23.96. As long as his shoulder holds up, there's a chance he will be an important member of Leicestershire this year. At this stage I have only given him a one year contract to see how he goes. Given we only had $31 000 available for recruiting, he will be the only addition to our line-up for this year.

Chris_metters.jpg

Photo is 8 years old. Metters is now 23 years old.

Last edited:

FIRST CLASS GOALS FOR SEASON 2014/15 & SELECTION FOR FIRST GAME (vs. Kent)G
Given that our first game is swiftly approaching, I have decided it is time to set myself and my team some goals for the season. They are as follows.

- Have a batsman average 40+ for the season.
- Have a bowler average 25- for the season.
- Breakout season for a player 22 years old or younger. (Angus Robson, Shiv Thakor, Tom Wells, Nathan Buck, Ben Raine, Rob Sayer, James Sykes)
- Find two consistently decent (50-run partnership) openers.
- Score a total of 160+ points (tables) for the season.

SELECTION FOR FIRST GAME (@ Kent):
First game on the job I was hoping to start working towards a few of my goals. I was aiming to get some young'uns out there, but I obviously have to be confident that they're going to perform. Here's a run through of my first selected team.

1. G. Smtih - Well, it doesn't help that I only have 3 openers, but he's the best we've got. Most experienced (only 26 though) too, which make sense with...
2. A. Robson - Been disappointing in the 4 innings he's batted so far, but the bloke is 22. Hoping I can get some consistency out of him and Smith.
3. N. Eckersley - Easy choice here. One of our best batsmen and our keeper. Still 25. Think he will be important to us for a while.
4. S. Thakor - Here's a man I am excited about. 20 years old and already a good player. Full of potential. Hoping I can make him a star.
5. R. Sarwan - No-brainer. Our best player and our captain. Absolutely vital to us this year.
6. N. O'Brien - He's no automatic starter, but being 33, gives us some much needed experience along with Sarwan. Hoping the two will have some big partnerships.
7. D. Redfern - Best of the rest of our batsmen. Must perform or will be dropped.
8. C. Metters - He's fit and he seems in good form. Probably our best spin bowler. We'll see how he goes. There are replacements for him if he doesn't perform.
9. A. Ireland - Our second best bowler. Need to get something out of him this year, along with #11 if it is to equate to anything.
10. A. Sheikh - Tossed up between him and Wyatt. His average of 30 is 5 better, but that's from 2 games. Economy of 6 too. He's a lefty though and our only left-handed pace bowler.
11. C. Shreck - Our best bowler. That's not saying much though. We need him to bowl well this year. None of our bowlers are safe from being dropped.

Here goes. It's cloudy today, should be sunny tomorrow. Hopefully we bowl first...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back