Leigh Matthews: the most Anti Hawks Commentator on TV?

Remove this Banner Ad

muff73

Senior List
Aug 31, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, NY Knicks
I don't think I've ever heard another commentator on TV with such anti Hawthorn bias in the history of TV.

Why all the hate. Leigh? Because the new era of success has come about and we've never asked you to be involved, and you cant claim any of the kudos?

Sorry, but I grew up in the 70's and 80's bleeding brown and gold, I loved him as a player, but something happened after that and the guy has an axe to grind with the hawks. Listen to Dermie and he tries to ping hawk players now and again to sound like he has no hawks bias, but Leigh sounds like he'd bust a testicle if he didn't slag off a hawk or defend a ridiculous free kick against the hawks or argue against one the hawks got.

2 examples: "Why shouldn't players be able to block Lewis, that's wrong, he shouldn't be allowed to be 3rd man up they should be able to block him" This went on for longer than the entire first quarter.

Leigh, if you can block players going third up, then the hawks could block Joel "Duck" Selwood every contest and claim he was going third man up. In a game full of technical rules, lets make the umpires have to think about if every other player around the ball up is going third man up or not.

There were 20 dubious Cats free kicks, but that's the one he decided to go on about.

2nd example, is when Johnson did that dog act of hitting Mitchell with an elbow from behind when he shouldn't have been expecting contact like that, and what does Leigh say?

"I think Mitchell is making more out of that than it was"

Silence on every duck of the head and throw of the arms by Selwood, but nothing about the dog act of Johnson, no, sorry he did say something, he had a crack at Mitchell for getting hurt?!?!?

Sorry, I know I will offend some who think he's the greatest player ever to wear brown and gold, and maybe as a player he was, but he can take his 'special comments' and piss off.

Seriously, before you defend him because it's "Lethal", listen to him, list TO HIM. The other commentators go on about skills and tactics, he will have a crack at the Hawks at every opportunity.

It's a friggin love fest on the TV commentary. Being critical of aspects of our game does not make someone anti-Hawthorn.

And I'm tipping he's bled a little for the colours, too.

I actually agree with the OP a little. I think he has been anti hawthorn for a long time as a commentator, but so too has Bung and he loves the hawks.

It's a friggin love fest on the TV commentary. Being critical of aspects of our game does not make someone anti-Hawthorn.

And I'm tipping he's bled a little for the colours, too.
You're missing my point, he isn't critical of other teams or players or free kick decisions, only the Hawks.

Like I did say, listen to his commentary compared to the others and compared to how he picks on the hawks. Second half highlights included that we were 'showboating' and that we're 'peaking too early, the Hawks should've been happier with a 4 or 5 goal win'

And what I didn't say was he hasn't given anything to the club, but something's been up since he went to the Lions and he's never been as affectionate to the Hawks since.

He hates the number 3 at hawthorn
If you seriously think he hates number 3 at Hawthorn, might I invite you to go listen to him cumfest collation of comments he makes on Jordan Lewis from Q3 onwards in last year's GF.

FWIW, I find Lethal very impartial. I also love the comment that he made a few years back on his relationship now with Hawthorn seeing he's a Brisbane, and to a much lesser extent Collingwood legend .... Hawthorn is akin to "Going back to Mum's".

You could hear Matthews containing his joy last year in the GF.

This sounds like Cats fans attacking Harley because he's not painfully bias towards their team. He's employed to provide analysis - not be a Hawks cheer squad member with a microphone.

You're missing my point, he isn't critical of other teams or players or free kick decisions, only the Hawks.

Like I did say, listen to his commentary compared to the others and compared to how he picks on the hawks. Second half highlights included that we were 'showboating' and that we're 'peaking too early, the Hawks should've been happier with a 4 or 5 goal win'

And what I didn't say was he hasn't given anything to the club, but something's been up since he went to the Lions and he's never been as affectionate to the Hawks since.

I do listen to his commentary. I think you're worried about nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm with you Muff....I wore his number on my back as a little fella so I shake my head at some of his anti hawthorn comments

:mad:

Yeah, I agree with some of these guys, I think Lethal just calls it as he sees it. He's a hawk at the core and then he's a lion on the exterior.

Given that he's on the Lion's board, he sort of has to be tougher on the hawks than the other guys to overcompensate.

I would much prefer it than the Healey/Russell/Lloyd combination on 3AW where all you hear about is how awesome Sydney/Geelong/Essendon are, over and over before throwing in the occasional "Oh the Hawks go OK" every now and then to look impartial.

He loves the club and is doing a dunstall when he commentates.

He's the only one who rated us on GF day

Impartial means impartial. 1 of his proudest football moments (the Lions' era) may be beaten... let it go Leigh

I don't think I've ever heard another commentator on TV with such anti Hawthorn bias in the history of TV.

Why all the hate. Leigh? Because the new era of success has come about and we've never asked you to be involved, and you cant claim any of the kudos?

Sorry, but I grew up in the 70's and 80's bleeding brown and gold, I loved him as a player, but something happened after that and the guy has an axe to grind with the hawks. Listen to Dermie and he tries to ping hawk players now and again to sound like he has no hawks bias, but Leigh sounds like he'd bust a testicle if he didn't slag off a hawk or defend a ridiculous free kick against the hawks or argue against one the hawks got.

2 examples: "Why shouldn't players be able to block Lewis, that's wrong, he shouldn't be allowed to be 3rd man up they should be able to block him" This went on for longer than the entire first quarter.

Leigh, if you can block players going third up, then the hawks could block Joel "Duck" Selwood every contest and claim he was going third man up. In a game full of technical rules, lets make the umpires have to think about if every other player around the ball up is going third man up or not.

There were 20 dubious Cats free kicks, but that's the one he decided to go on about.

2nd example, is when Johnson did that dog act of hitting Mitchell with an elbow from behind when he shouldn't have been expecting contact like that, and what does Leigh say?

"I think Mitchell is making more out of that than it was"

Silence on every duck of the head and throw of the arms by Selwood, but nothing about the dog act of Johnson, no, sorry he did say something, he had a crack at Mitchell for getting hurt?!?!?

Sorry, I know I will offend some who think he's the greatest player ever to wear brown and gold, and maybe as a player he was, but he can take his 'special comments' and piss off.

Seriously, before you defend him because it's "Lethal", listen to him, list TO HIM. The other commentators go on about skills and tactics, he will have a crack at the Hawks at every opportunity.
Been saying this for a couple of years now, he is a legend, and WAS a great player, now he's a sour old senile sod. Even Eddie and the foxtel guys were having a go at him for saying that lightining fast hand pass from cyril on the ground was an accident and didnt mean to do it. But this is nothing new, been noticing Lee be like this for a long time. On the other side is Dermott, he is not biased towards hawks but loves them and is pretty honest on his appraisal of them I think.

Been saying this for a couple of years now, he is a legend, and WAS a great player, now he's a sour old senile sod. Even Eddie and the foxtel guys were having a go at him for saying that lightining fast hand pass from cyril on the ground was an accident and didnt mean to do it. But this is nothing new, been noticing Lee be like this for a long time. On the other side is Dermott, he is not biased towards hawks but loves them and is pretty honest on his appraisal of them I think.

No, he isn't.

And it's LEIGH.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back