Retired Leigh Montagna

Remove this Banner Ad

sauce_head

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 24, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think this injury explains perhaps why he finished 4th in the B&F after a year that IMO didn't really warrant it based on form alone.
Good point. The b&f is measured against execution of the game plan, sacrifice etc as well as the obvious things we see every week. Hopefully the very fact he did finish 4th demonstrates his measure against the intangibles we supporters cannot know and shows his detractors his worth to the team.

sauce_head

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 24, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think this injury explains perhaps why he finished 4th in the B&F after a year that IMO didn't really warrant it based on form alone.
Good point. The b&f is measured against execution of the game plan, sacrifice etc as well as the obvious things we see every week. Hopefully the very fact he did finish 4th demonstrates his measure against the intangibles we supporters cannot know and shows his detractors his worth to the team.

Whatever injuries were justa small part of the problem... he copped the heavy tag.

Yep without BJ and Dal, he was number one choice. I used to have a pretty good opinion of Joey's ability to beat a tag, and I still have now that I know how hampered he was this year.
The team was far better with him than without him.

Looking forward to seeing Joey smash the tag in 2015
Good point. Fact is, Joey will be ten times better when he has Steven AND Armo playing fit beside him. Those two will draw a tag occasionally, and that'll help Joey out no end. Add Dunstan, Newnes etc getting a little better, too, and that means he doesn't have to do it all. Admittedly, he had Hayes most of the year, but Hayes hadn't been a taggee for years.

May 31, 2008
Canberra
AFL Club
St Kilda
Good point. Fact is, Joey will be ten times better when he has Steven AND Armo playing fit beside him. Those two will draw a tag occasionally, and that'll help Joey out no end. Add Dunstan, Newnes etc getting a little better, too, and that means he doesn't have to do it all. Admittedly, he had Hayes most of the year, but Hayes hadn't been a taggee for years.
Never heard that before, but I like it. :p

tbarker

Club Legend
Oct 20, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Ok - a quick rant.

I posted months ago (sorry but can't be arsed finding them) that a very good source told me that Joey had sore groins and various other issues including a leg problem. I PM'd a few people about it. Perhaps those other injuries included this stress/crack related issue. I suggested that we cut him some slack and to back off.

To those that knocked Joey (and I don't know Joey personally) - all I have to say now is I TOLD YOU SO and shame on you for jumping all over him. I admit he looked disinterested in some games but that was as much internal disappointment as it was anything else.

In relation to continuing to play him - I have personally played with one of these in my foot and it took months to work it out. Bone scans showed nothing and neither did an MRI. I didn't train and it affected my gait and that lead to other injuries including groin and loss of fitness. Ultimately they found it when it got worse. Perhaps the club didn't find the issue? Perhaps it was a crack in the fibula (non-weight bearing) which you can sometimes play with?

That said - at the start of the season I believed that the club wouldn't play injured blokes when there was the possibility of further injury. However, after watching Dunstan stuff his shoulder and then come back this year - I have my concerns that they are putting some blokes at risk unnecessarily. I hope the talk about Luke showing toughness in coming back on does not put us back in the Kosi / Ball era where perceived manliness overtakes player welfare.

Aug 25, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, San Antonio Spurs
TBH, it's a pretty piss poor effort for the rest of our list that a 30 yr old bloke who ran around for a portion of this season with a cracked bone in his leg managed to finish 4th in the B&F.....

Shows how truly lacking we are in consistent performers. I expect big improvements next year & hopefully a * load less injuries please!

TBH, it's a pretty piss poor effort for the rest of our list that a 30 yr old bloke who ran around for a portion of this season with a cracked bone in his leg managed to finish 4th in the B&F.....

Shows how truly lacking we are in consistent performers. I expect big improvements next year & hopefully a **** load less injuries please!
I think he was still our highest possession getter this season, so I'm not sure there is any shame in him coming forth no matter how old he is. We lost a massive amount of games to Armo, Geary and Steven who are the natural step up players to take out the B&F. Gilbo and Gwilt the only others in the age bracket. More an indictment on our list profile.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smoke_Me_AKipper

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Tottenham; Philadelphia Eagles
Ok - a quick rant.

I posted months ago (sorry but can't be arsed finding them) that a very good source told me that Joey had sore groins and various other issues including a leg problem. I PM'd a few people about it. Perhaps those other injuries included this stress/crack related issue. I suggested that we cut him some slack and to back off.

To those that knocked Joey (and I don't know Joey personally) - all I have to say now is I TOLD YOU SO and shame on you for jumping all over him. I admit he looked disinterested in some games but that was as much internal disappointment as it was anything else.

In relation to continuing to play him - I have personally played with one of these in my foot and it took months to work it out. Bone scans showed nothing and neither did an MRI. I didn't train and it affected my gait and that lead to other injuries including groin and loss of fitness. Ultimately they found it when it got worse. Perhaps the club didn't find the issue? Perhaps it was a crack in the fibula (non-weight bearing) which you can sometimes play with?

That said - at the start of the season I believed that the club wouldn't play injured blokes when there was the possibility of further injury. However, after watching Dunstan stuff his shoulder and then come back this year - I have my concerns that they are putting some blokes at risk unnecessarily. I hope the talk about Luke showing toughness in coming back on does not put us back in the Kosi / Ball era where perceived manliness overtakes player welfare.

Yes I remember as I had heard the same thing (probably from a different source though :)). People are quick to jump to conclusions, eh?

tbarker

Club Legend
Oct 20, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yes I remember as I had heard the same thing (probably from a different source though :)). People are quick to jump to conclusions, eh?

Yes mate - indeed.
I can understand if we make an observation and post it. I can forgive conclusions based on what we see because I have done it myself. What stumps me is that a few of us posted the reasons and some people continued to lay the boots in!

holllywood

Club Legend
Aug 6, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Toon
Yes mate - indeed.
I can understand if we make an observation and post it. I can forgive conclusions based on what we see because I have done it myself. What stumps me is that a few of us posted the reasons and some people continued to lay the boots in!

Shame on those people for not believing everything they read on an Internet forum.

As far as I'm concerned, as soon as you run out onto the ground, you're declaring yourself fully fit.

Sure, we should have some sympathy for him, and maybe even some respect, for the fact that he played through it, but I make no apologies for if I called his performances poor. If his injuries were causing him to drop off that much, he shouldn't have been playing.

Smoke_Me_AKipper

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Shame on those people for not believing everything they read on an Internet forum.

Yes a good point but wouldn't you agree that you get a feel for some posters and if they are on the money more times than not?

I certainly know of some posters whom I am more likely to believe it as they have established credibility in the past....

Manimal_Dunstan

Cancelled
10k Posts
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yes a good point but wouldn't you agree that you get a feel for some posters and if they are on the money more times than not?

I certainly know of some posters whom I am more likely to believe it as they have established credibility in the past....
Hammers_Saints mentioned it and he has credibility. Considering he also posted about Leonard Hayes putting up the boots a few days before the announcement.

holllywood

Club Legend
Aug 6, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Toon

I agree that some posters have established credibility in the past and I am thankful for their insights but still going to take what they say with a grain of salt. Much like with Damien Barratt who has been right on a number of things and would have good sources at a few clubs.

Still not going to believe everything he says.

Smoke_Me_AKipper

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
I agree that some posters have established credibility in the past and I am thankful for their insights but still going to take what they say with a grain of salt. Much like with Damien Barratt who has been right on a number of things and would have good sources at a few clubs.

Still not going to believe everything he says.

Fair call....:thumbsu:

Yes mate - indeed.

Not to stick up for anyone in particular, I will say that there are a number of people on here and on other sites who say they know things or know people and its not true.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back