Lenny Hayes vs Western Bulldogs, Round 20 @ Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Three players are on the injury list and it's Round 21 that's amazing.
Even if that's the point you're trying to make, our injury list is six players, not three?

Scary_Foot_9

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2013
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham, Cubs, Leafs, Ravens
All teams would claim similar to the above. From Round 16 StKilda had 7 players out for the season and added Dunstan to that last week . That's nearly 25% of the list. Given Gilbert Fisher Hickey Wright Sipposs Geary Templeton Markworth Steven have missed nearly 75% of the season makes it extremely hard to keep the list refreshed.
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

TheHoneyBadger

"I lost my phone"
10k Posts Western Bulldogs - Cordy, Honeychurch, Prudden, Dale Player Sponsor 2015
Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
All teams would claim similar to the above. From Round 16 StKilda had 7 players out for the season and added Dunstan to that last week . That's nearly 25% of the list. Given Gilbert Fisher Hickey Wright Sipposs Geary Templeton Markworth Steven have missed nearly 75% of the season makes it extremely hard to keep the list refreshed.
That's irrelevant to your initial point, which is that we've had an amazing injury run - which frankly is laughable.

Some teams have obviously had a worse time of it, but we've missed crucial players for considerable chunks of time irrespective of the size of the injury list circa round 21.

Adam H

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Aug 23, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Struggling, you are exactly where everyone with half a brain expected you to be, wooden spooners as you will be next year too, and it is not due to injuries, your list is terrible, nearly half your team on weekend was over or approaching 30, it is only going to get worse

Yet the game was in the balance with 5 to go . Huh go figure !

Astro_

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Grow some humility and respect like the rest of the Doggies supporters on this site and don't forget you guys were in a similar position not so long ago.

My post is in no way disrespectful. It was my view on the game. Being a Saint supporter I doubt you never felt in the game at many stages. We help a comfortable 4 -5 goal lead at various stages and you don't lose many from there.

Saints were playing catch up all day

Last edited:

Stax on the mill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
The point is our injuries this season has affected our selections and rotation of players. The WB have a injury list of three and have suffered very few long term injuries this season.
Wonder what your excuse will be next season when the Saints prop up the ladder again. Just not good enough. Reckon Cuzzle was referring to you and Plugger35 in his post when he referred to perennial whingers.

Adam H

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Aug 23, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Wonder what your excuse will be next season when the Saints prop up the ladder again. Just not good enough.

No there not but we realise that unlike teams that top up with mature age players like Lynch White Young Russel Armstrong. Then tell us there rebuilding .

Adam H

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Aug 23, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Trouble is they seem to alternate between the 2. Can't quiet get a handle on them, but the end result is generally the same.

Well I will tell you we are no good and have done a few things to make sure we get the best results for being no good.

Sainter93

Club Legend
Jun 5, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Now we are going on about injuries? Come on Adam mate you're backing yourself into a corner. While I think the team we played yesterday had too many older players in it (due to a few young players becoming injured), it CERTAINLY had no affect on the result yesterday or any other games prior. Every team gets injuries and have to deal with them at certain times.

I love the way the Bulldogs have gone about there development and the way they play the game. Clearly a couple of years off where they are now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good game for two sides near the bottom of the ladder.

Thought we played very well when we needed to and had control of the game for 85%. St Kilda made the late charge, which was always going to happen. It's a little sad but I guess it's fitting Lenny walked off the field as many people knew him: brave and deservedly proud no matter the result. Pity for the Saints he couldn't have had more of an impact, 17 touches and a goal against a younger side is probably a sign that yes he is making the right call.

Concerning for the Saints was their lack of physicality, which will be exacerbated more once guys like Lenny move on. For three out of his four goals Jake Stringer broke tackles. First one he broke the tackles of Savage, Fisher, Gwilt, second one he broke through Gilbert and Savage and third one he broke through another weak Gilbert tackle. While Stringer is a bull of a kid he's still only 20, all of the Saints players are much more mature than him. If these senior players can't set a physical standard it is a worry.

It was good to see our forward line firing for once: which is another warning sign for Alan Richardson. Goals have been hard to come by for us this year but we just about kicked a cricket score.

On the other side, St Kilda's forwardline is still a work in progress. Riewoldt was forced to go up the ground more so didn't impact the scoreboard much and Stanley was next to useless. He had three disposals before going off with a minor complaint mid to late in the third but came back on. 5 disposals, no goals and no tackles was a dreadful return. We dropped Liam Jones for a showing like that (but he laid tackles at least) but Stanley holds his place, which sums up St Kilda's worry. Spencer White is a project player and Tom Lee looks like being a list clogger. It's hard to predict what they'll do in the draft because they need a Petracca AND a McCartin - just one or the other isn't quite going to cut it. If I was them I'd get McCartin and start developing him in the hopes of finding a Petracca type in the next couple of years with the high draft picks they are likely to get.

Was happy to see the form of Bontempelli continue for us. Everything he touched early on turned into a Bulldogs goal and then he stood up in the last with poise and leadership. Performances like that show why he's deserved to be a frontrunner for the Ron Evans medal since the mid-season break.

Also, and this is not a reflection on all St Kilda supporters, I did get a laugh from the few who changed their excuses throughout: from umpires to injuries to even veiled tanking. Stay classy.

Adam H

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Aug 23, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Good game for two sides near the bottom of the ladder.

Thought we played very well when we needed to and had control of the game for 85%. St Kilda made the late charge, which was always going to happen. It's a little sad but I guess it's fitting Lenny walked off the field as many people knew him: brave and deservedly proud no matter the result. Pity for the Saints he couldn't have had more of an impact, 17 touches and a goal against a younger side is probably a sign that yes he is making the right call.

Concerning for the Saints was their lack of physicality, which will be exacerbated more once guys like Lenny move on. For three out of his four goals Jake Stringer broke tackles. First one he broke the tackles of Savage, Fisher, Gwilt, second one he broke through Gilbert and Savage and third one he broke through another weak Gilbert tackle. While Stringer is a bull of a kid he's still only 20, all of the Saints players are much more mature than him. If these senior players can't set a physical standard it is a worry.

It was good to see our forward line firing for once: which is another warning sign for Alan Richardson. Goals have been hard to come by for us this year but we just about kicked a cricket score.

On the other side, St Kilda's forwardline is still a work in progress. Riewoldt was forced to go up the ground more so didn't impact the scoreboard much and Stanley was next to useless. He had three disposals before going off with a minor complaint mid to late in the third but came back on. 5 disposals, no goals and no tackles was a dreadful return. We dropped Liam Jones for a showing like that (but he laid tackles at least) but Stanley holds his place, which sums up St Kilda's worry. Spencer White is a project player and Tom Lee looks like being a list clogger. It's hard to predict what they'll do in the draft because they need a Petracca AND a McCartin - just one or the other isn't quite going to cut it. If I was them I'd get McCartin and start developing him in the hopes of finding a Petracca type in the next couple of years with the high draft picks they are likely to get.

Was happy to see the form of Bontempelli continue for us. Everything he touched early on turned into a Bulldogs goal and then he stood up in the last with poise and leadership. Performances like that show why he's deserved to be a frontrunner for the Ron Evans medal since the mid-season break.

Also, and this is not a reflection on all St Kilda supporters, I did get a laugh from the few who changed their excuses throughout: from umpires to injuries to even veiled tanking. Stay classy.

Stanley in the best again v Sydney. Would be nice to not have 9 season ending injuries but great positives from our young defence.

Back