Toast Lenny Hayes

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought I'd start this thread here since it's most likely people here have read it.

Lover of Lenny Hayes and football books so I thought I'd give this a go. But anyone else bought this book and thought it absolutely terrible? By which I obviously mean the writing, not the man himself. It's just awfully written. I'm about two and a half chapters in and there's no flow to it. It feels like a bunch of sentences cobbled together. Editing error in the second paragraph wasn't a good start but it's shocking. Keeps jumping between referring to people by their first/last names so I get confused who they're talking about.

Jason Phelan (the bloke who actually wrote it) has a lot to answer for if the rest is like this and he's buggered up a potentially great football book. Or is it just me?

Thought I'd start this thread here since it's most likely people here have read it.

Lover of Lenny Hayes and football books so I thought I'd give this a go. But anyone else bought this book and thought it absolutely terrible? By which I obviously mean the writing, not the man himself. It's just awfully written. I'm about two and a half chapters in and there's no flow to it. It feels like a bunch of sentences cobbled together. Editing error in the second paragraph wasn't a good start but it's shocking. Keeps jumping between referring to people by their first/last names so I get confused who they're talking about.

Jason Phelan (the bloke who actually wrote it) has a lot to answer for if the rest is like this and he's buggered up a potentially great football book. Or is it just me?
Do you ever find a positive in anything?

Finished Lenny's book last night. Really interesting read, gave a lot of insight into what was happening at the club throughout his career. It hurt to read about '09/10 though. Even '04/'05 seemed like wasted opportunities with the horrible injury run we had.

Lenny talked about the 5 or 6 different coaches during his time at the club, and he was really complementary of them all and shocked that they were sacked, except for Watters. It seems like he hadn't really built a close relationship with Watters in the 2 years he was at the club, whereas he considered Watson a close mentor, despite being there for less time. Mentioned that he wasn't happy with a few things Watters said at the B&F that year, and that the apology video the club sent out after the CJ incident was a 'bit too much'.

He was also unhappy with the way the club let Ross go. Thought we could have done more to keep him. Same with BJ. Club should have given him what he wanted. As for Dal, he mentioned that Dal felt that the club wouldn't be too concerned if he went, so he sought other opportunities.

Nothing we didn't already know, but good insight regardless. Really recommend it.

Finished Lenny's book last night. Really interesting read, gave a lot of insight into what was happening at the club throughout his career. It hurt to read about '09/10 though. Even '04/'05 seemed like wasted opportunities with the horrible injury run we had.

Lenny talked about the 5 or 6 different coaches during his time at the club, and he was really complementary of them all and shocked that they were sacked, except for Watters. It seems like he hadn't really built a close relationship with Watters in the 2 years he was at the club, whereas he considered Watson a close mentor, despite being there for less time. Mentioned that he wasn't happy with a few things Watters said at the B&F that year, and that the apology video the club sent out after the CJ incident was a 'bit too much'.

He was also unhappy with the way the club let Ross go. Thought we could have done more to keep him. Same with BJ. Club should have given him what he wanted. As for Dal, he mentioned that Dal felt that the club wouldn't be too concerned if he went, so he sought other opportunities.

Nothing we didn't already know, but good insight regardless. Really recommend it.

One of lennys greatest traits is his honesty as well as his integrity and loyalty. Also finished the book thoroughly enjoyed it.

I will disagree with Lenny on the dwarf burning sorry video. I thought it was incredibly good of the club to do that and showed a lot of maturity and a sign of moving the club past its image of troublemakers.

Im really sure the actual incident was incredibly minor and it seems a bit overblown to the players, but it showed a REALLY poor image to the public that we had been trying to escape for a long time.

I will disagree with Lenny on the dwarf burning sorry video. I thought it was incredibly good of the club to do that and showed a lot of maturity and a sign of moving the club past its image of troublemakers.

Im really sure the actual incident was incredibly minor and it seems a bit overblown to the players, but it showed a REALLY poor image to the public that we had been trying to escape for a long time.

Nuts I agree with you, thought that having players phone members who had written in to complain of this whole incident (Geary phoned me) and then the video were proactive and on the money. The problem may have been in the way it was sold and managed at the club. Great ideas but possibly poor implementation.

to the players most likely. but it was on national television on A current Affair. it made the saints look like idiots and fools all over again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

to the players most likely. but it was on national television on A current Affair. it made the saints look like idiots and fools all over again.
Yeah thats pretty much what I man. As stupid as it was, I dont think there was really much damage done to the guy's clothes so the players just thought it was all okay. Which isnt true.

Did Lenny say anything about the last year under Richardson?

Yeah thats pretty much what I man. As stupid as it was, I dont think there was really much damage done to the guy's clothes so the players just thought it was all okay. Which isnt true.

Did Lenny say anything about the last year under Richardson?
Yep, had a lot of good things to say about Richo. They had a good relationship and shared some of the same philosophies. Mentioned he was harsh but fair, and not afraid to give honest feedback, which is what you want as a player. Also noted Richo has a lot of experience and knowledge of the game, and that's what he's brought to the table as coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back