Toast Lenny Hayes

Remove this Banner Ad

I had to catch myself at work today and concentrate on something else. Hoping I will get to see him on last time in Melbourne before the season is out.

This still doesn't feel real!

But what an amazing player he has been for St.kilda. Congrats Lenny fingers crossed you stay around as an assistant coach.

I think it was always an Adelaide home game unfortunately and wont change.

Yeah I've already asked Adelaide if they'd be willing to let us have it as home game for Lenny....

:(

I had a late start at work today, so had the chance to go over all of the social media/website information from Lenny's retirement. Very well handled by the Saints. They have really improved in this area.

But since then, I made myself some toast and put my knife in the bin instead of the dishwasher. I then stood around for ages wondering why the water hadn't yet boiled for my coffee, then realised I hadn't switched it on.

I'm 23, so it's not dementia. Lenny's retirement has simply scrambled my brain o_O

I am really looking forward to this next 6 weeks. Soaking it up and enjoying, yet again, the privilege of watching Lenny Hayes do what he does.

I would give plenty to see another big side step and another massive tackle before he is done.

in a way i hope (after the xmas break) that he goes off for a year, even two, gets to learn the craft from an outside perspective at another club
then comes back to us when he feels comfortable in his abilities to help coach

then i thought about it for two secs after typing it and slapped myself in the face

Yeah I've already asked Adelaide if they'd be willing to let us have it as home game for Lenny....

:(

I saw this tweet last night on my phone but just realized then that it was an official response tweet. Pretty damn prickish response to be honest. I mean, it was never going to happen obviously due to stadium rights but that was kind of unprofessional.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw this tweet last night on my phone but just realized then that it was an official response tweet. Pretty damn prickish response to be honest. I mean, it was never going to happen obviously due to stadium rights but that was kind of unprofessional.

I must admit i was expecting a funnier response. They are usually great with their banter with opposition fans. At least they still found the funny side to my tweet!

Commiserations on the retirement of a champion guys. Hayes is a player that 17 other clubs would have loved to have and he constantly did my head in in our many big games towards the top end of the ladder a few years ago. Hopefully he can stay around the club in some capacity in the years to come.

Is anyone else finding it really derogatory how all the media are calling him a "St Kilda Champion" rather than an "AFL Champion"? Like there seems to be a subtext here that he was only a legend from our perspective and he wasn't really significant in the grand scheme of things.

Like straight up he is easily the best player of his generation and if he played for a "big" club or did pointless flashy s**t on the field he'd probably be regarded higher. I really feel like the approach the media is taking is condescending, like they undermine his status.

Is anyone else finding it really derogatory how all the media are calling him a "St Kilda Champion" rather than an "AFL Champion"? Like there seems to be a subtext here that he was only a legend from our perspective and he wasn't really significant in the grand scheme of things.
I think the media use that sort of language on a regular basis. I wouldn't make much of it personally.

Like straight up he is easily the best player of his generation and if he played for a "big" club or did pointless flashy s**t on the field he'd probably be regarded higher. I really feel like the approach the media is taking is condescending, like they undermine his status.

I don't think that's the subtext at all honestly. I think the subtext is: here's a one-club player, best-and-fairest in 3, probably 4 seasons, who's put his heart and soul into St Kilda.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back