Remove this Banner Ad

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Was lucky enough to meet Leon Bakers father. I didn't realise he was a Victorian until today. Grew up in Avenal Victoria. Was zoned to Melbourne and went down for a week when he was 16-17 and dominated in trials... decided he wasn't ready for the big league and ended up playing footy all over the country. Played at Bunbury then Swan districts in WA hence why he had to play for WA in the SOO.
Absolute champion player.... always reminded me of Raines.... probably would have been regarded better if he had of played longer.

The old man was a funny bloke too.... very modest who also coached a young Bluey Shelton.

Making conversation I asked if Leon was a left footer.... he said "he was both" and laughed.... Said the older brother claims responsibility of Leons great left foot because he broke a bone in Leons right foot forcing him to use his left when he was young.

His pic is still under blind turn in the dictionary..
Good on him for having a life outside footy too and was able to play at the highest level without being football "only"

I gather from the amount of replies that either this Board is full of posters that aren't old enough to remember Baker.... not much love for Leon....

Pretty much won you your first flag under Sheed's....

I gather from the amount of replies that either this Board is full of posters that aren't old enough to remember Baker.... not much love for Leon....

Mate i was only 7 or 8 but i have seen the replay of this game, and the last quarter in particular many times.

If anyone who is a lover of footy, Essendon or otherwise hasn't seen the last quater, DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR!!

Leon Baker was certainly one of the better players to watch during his time, and was in full flight in the first part of the last quarter when the game was on the line.....great to watch. :thumbsu:

Don't know if he won us that flag but he was certainly important. If Baker had played a few more years over here he would have been remembered as a Superstar.

The old man also said when he was told he was being nominated for the WA Hall of fame he said.... "but I'm a f^%&ing Victorian"...... lol.

I loved Leon. He was a superstar. Came over at 28 IIRC. If he had played VFL from when he was 20 he would be remembered as one of the all time greats. He was that good. Very unlucky not to win a Norm Smith.

Would always kick goals when he went forward. Kicked 6 in the 84 prelim and got 4 the next week. In Sheedys best side in his 27 years there is only ever going to be one player picked in the centre. Number 4 Leon Baker.

I met him at a Essendon function a few years back. He is a awesome bloke to have a chat with.

He was a nomad as well. Would go overseas for 4 months after the season finished. I think he may have flew to India the day after the 85 GF.

Thanks for posting nut! :thumbsu:

I didn't know he was Victorian either....will always be thankful to Leon for playing a decent part in thumping Collingwood in 84 and then helping us keep in touch with the Hawks the following week.

A real pity we didn't see more of him over here.

I loved Leon. He was a superstar. Came over at 28 IIRC. If he had played VFL from when he was 20 he would be remembered as one of the all time greats. He was that good. Very unlucky not to win a Norm Smith.

Would always kick goals when he went forward. Kicked 6 in the 84 prelim and got 4 the next week. In Sheedys best side in his 27 years there is only ever going to be one player picked in the centre. Number 4 Leon Baker.

I met him at a Essendon function a few years back. He is a awesome bloke to have a chat with.

He was a nomad as well. Would go overseas for 4 months after the season finished. I think he may have flew to India the day after the 85 GF.

Indeed he did his old man actually told me that he took his wife and kids to India the day after the Grand Final.... When he quized Leon what he would have done if there was a Draw.. Leon told his old man he always thinks of things that dont happen...lol.

He also said that Leon was one of Sheeds Favourite players and Sheeds told him that he felt safe when the ball was in Leons hands .... not like that Merv bloke lol....

For the younger readers - Point of comparison - Jobe Watson

Number of similar traits

- good handballer
- extracting ball
- reading the ball off packs
- similar speed
- smooth looking players

Baker was a better kick and spread better from contested situations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the younger readers - Point of comparison - Jobe Watson

Number of similar traits

- good handballer
- extracting ball
- reading the ball off packs
- similar speed
- smooth looking players

Baker was a better kick and spread better from contested situations.

:thumbsu:

I'm please I read the last line for Baker was a better kick than Jobe, the closest Jobe has come was in the Western Bulldog game in round 1 this year

I think Baker was quicker than Jobe but its a bit unfair to compare considering the difference between what Baker played on compared to the modern playing surface

Leon Baker was an absolute gun

Played for ...

South Bunbury 1980 (Premiership)
Swan Districts 1981 (Grand Finalists) *
Swan Districts 1982 (Premiership)
Swan Districts 1983 (Premiership)
Essendon 1984 (Premiership)
Essendon 1985 (Premiership)

*Swans played Leon on the HFF for the 1981 Grand Final rather than in the centre. Who knows what could have been if he had played in the guts.

Leon Baker was picked in the Swan Districts "Team of the Century" after playing just 64 games for them.

Comparisons between players is hard to do. I would love to have Leon Baker & Jobe Watson in my team but if I could only have one, I would go for Leon Baker.

Not many regular posters on here would have seen him play, a few of us old timers know how good he was. On his day he was as good as any player to have pulled on an Essendon jumper.

Thanks Nut for the Post. Enough said on how good he was. What I want to know is has he had any 'boys'? Would love to see a Baker under the father and son rule.

what a gun, mark mercuri was cut from the same mould, did what they did on the field, werent interested in the media, just loved playing the game and playing it well.let their performances speak instead of trash talk.if i could have been a player I would have wanted to be leon baker.... he was cooooooool

Superstar. I rate him as the 3rd most talented of the 84/85 era, just behind Madden & Watson. Big game player who excelled come September. will never ever forget THAT goal

Ahh those were the day's, ,Vander's, Billy D, big Roger, the other Heard, Daisy Williams... good to see the No 4 still going strong. That last quarter of ol 84
I still rate as one of my favourites.

Just came across this thread.
Baker was a gun. Apparently played very well in both Swan Districts flags before coming to Essendon.
Noel Judkins went & watched him, saw him play a quarter & it was enough - he had about 10 shots at goal.
I would say Baker was more Mercuri than Jobe.
He had phenomenal hands, was highly skilled- as good on his left as he was on his right, and was tough as nails. Only played 80 odd games, I think an ankle injury finished his career.
I was lucky enough to train alongside him a few times-couldn't believe my luck.

Ask Watson snr how good he thought Leon was.. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back