News Leppa and ZOB - Clash of the Titans

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Football clubs are workplaces. It is unacceptable to assault an employee. Lepptisch would be sacked in my workplace.

And blokes performing as poorly as our players would get sacked in most workplaces. Footy clubs are a different dynamic.

Slightly off kilter but Zorko, Rocky and Martin have come out this season supporting the coach. Would be nice to see some of the gross underperformers face the media and take some heat.

Slightly off kilter but Zorko, Rocky and Martin have come out this season supporting the coach. Would be nice to see some of the gross underperformers face the media and take some heat.

Looks like 1 of them already did...

"It is alleged"
No mention of where the allegation came from though. If this allegation is true, that's a serious problem for the cub. If it's not, I'd be interested to know where it came from. I don't agree with notions that footy is tough and this sort of thing should be acceptable. But I also find it interesting that certain posters are happy to jump on this. Don't like Leppa as a coach? This must be true.
Let's see if anything else comes out first, hey?

"It is alleged"
No mention of where the allegation came from though. If this allegation is true, that's a serious problem for the cub. If it's not, I'd be interested to know where it came from. I don't agree with notions that footy is tough and this sort of thing should be acceptable. But I also find it interesting that certain posters are happy to jump on this. Don't like Leppa as a coach? This must be true.
Let's see if anything else comes out first, hey?

That's an ordinary way to dismiss other people's opinions. Particularly as it cuts both ways; those who do like Leppitsch are more likely to be sceptical of the reports.

That's the way it is.

Not good for anyone or anything. For me it mainly throws doubt over the 'cool head' approach that is said to be Leppa's main strength, also a 'great teacher' need patients, so if he did go overboard it is a major concern for me. If he grabbed him by throat, that is really, really bad news and it will resonate negatively through the playing group and club, and it is in no way a 'good thing' for the player - that doesn't stand in this day and age. If he grabbed him by the top and pulled him down of a seat, then there is no story here.

If he did grab him by the throat, it is arguably the most demonstrative unacceptable action one can impose on another, and is completely unacceptable from a head coach, but the club is denying that took place and im comfortable with that - nothing to see here unless any fresh reports or evidence surface.

I know when I played at a lower level of course, I did and said things to opposition, team mates and coaches I never would have outside the heat of battle. It's passion and having desire to win, the fact o'brian did not want to come off is a good thing. The fact Leppa hates someone dissrepected his staff that much is a good thing. Would have been a shake of hands a quick " sorry mate I was just fired up" from both of them end of story. Media just trying to la

Football isn't the typical workplace. Yes typical workplace rules apply but it just doesn't. In my workplace ZOB would be sacked for telling some one off in an unprofessional manner (I know I was in the HR meeting, I wasn't the one getting fired). No two wrongs don't make a right but football is an emotional sport. Tensions have been high and if leppa had to stop someone from standing over him by simply pulling on his jumper then so be it. Unless leppa full on hit him with a open or closed fist then this is a nuffy story.

Physical altercations have happened within every sporting club I've been involved with. Player v player is most common. Occasionally a coach makes a point with a physical confrontation.I once saw two assistants go hammer and tongs at each other while the team stood around watching.

I don't admire what Leppa has done because it signifies a loss of control which he should be beyond. But I think it is wrong to impart normal workplace standards onto football clubs without some form of context being applied.

That's an ordinary way to dismiss other people's opinions. Particularly as it cuts both ways; those who do like Leppitsch are more likely to be sceptical of the reports.

That's the way it is.
I don't really understand what you're getting at here. If the allegation made in the report is true, that's unacceptable behaviour on the part of Leppitsch and it reflects poorly on his player management skills. I don't think that's up for debate. But making assumptions based on an article that doesn't even go so far as to cite anonymous sources/ witnesses to the incident? Not really a valid opinion at this stage. It shouldn't matter whether you think the guy is a good coach or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee if the reaction to this story says anything about how soft our Club and our players have become, then God help us.

Leppa was absolutely right to make an example of O'Brien. The Club clearly needs a line in the sand moment.

Talk of assault is just utter rubbish. Every game players do things to each other on the field that in normal everyday life could technically be deemed as assault. This is nothing of the sort. Only one player in the history of the game at AFL / VFL level has ever been charged with assault (you can read Lethal's book to understand why that happened),

Yeah grabbing someone by the throat in most workplaces would be seen as assault - crucially though this is only if the person on the receiving end wanted to pursue it (or any other witnesses). So whether or not that actually happened in this case - it technically could be classed that way - but here in reality (rather than fantasy nanny-state land) most normal footy people would recognise that a football club environment is very different to an office environment - and that great lee way should apply. The player wasn't hurt in any way whatsoever except for his ego - and it would be extremely unlikely he would wish to pursue the issue.

Anyway, enough is enough. Leppa and the Club needed a line in the sand - I am sure he didn't go out of his way to manufacture it, but he just reacted in the heat of the moment as the situation arose.

The whole Club should take this as a positive and be utterly determined to do everything right from here. There is no reason why O'Brien can't learn from this and really make it a defying positive moment in his career (as Glen Jakovich did when Malthouse confronted him in a similar way early in his career) - although that will be completely up to him

If the "allegations" beyond what the club has acknowledged were credible, I think the report would've either gone in a bit harder on that point or pushed Swann harder on the club's version. It felt a lot like a tawdry attempt to add more drama to what is a bad situation, but not necessarily an exciting story.

This really doesn't look great for anyone. This will most likely end poorly for Leppa if he has done the wrong thing. The playing group will be the best judge of what Leppa has done IMO. Lets see how they play on Sunday.

So if they play well it means ... and if they (continue) to play poorly it means ... ?

I don't really understand what you're getting at here. If the allegation made in the report is true, that's unacceptable behaviour on the part of Leppitsch and it reflects poorly on his player management skills. I don't think that's up for debate. But making assumptions based on an article that doesn't even go so far as to cite anonymous sources/ witnesses to the incident? Not really a valid opinion at this stage. It shouldn't matter whether you think the guy is a good coach or not.

It's not a good thing, but that's the way it is.

But you've just assumed that the people who believe Leppitsch acted badly are doing so because they don't like him as a coach, and that's not fair. It's pretty clear who you're talking about and if you're not prepared to quote them or name them I reckon you should maybe keep your assumption to yourself.

EDIT: I went a bit over the top with that last line. Apologies carnthemlions.

Last edited:
I know when I played at a lower level of course, I did and said things to opposition, team mates and coaches I never would have outside the heat of battle. It's passion and having desire to win, the fact o'brian did not want to come off is a good thing. The fact Leppa hates someone dissrepected his staff that much is a good thing. Would have been a shake of hands a quick " sorry mate I was just fired up" from both of them end of story. Media just trying to la
Hahah we completely agree on this one mate :thumbsu:

Leppa really is losing control it's such a shame and reflects poorly on our club as a whole. I thought we won the trade period and was hoping we could give the finals a crack this year, thanks to fanta pants we're getting smashed every week.

Leppa is just going full commando now, because he know's he won't be around by the end of the year.

Who would want to play for a coach who would physically assault you.

Leppitsch & O'Brien apologetic over incident

Brisbane Lions Senior Coach Justin Leppitsch and midfielder Zac O’Brien say they are both apologetic for their actions after an incident at halftime in Saturday night’s Reserves game.

Leppitsch pulled O’Brien by the jumper during a discussion in the team rooms at halftime after the midfielder swore at Lions Reserves Coach Shane Woewodin during the first half of the game at Metricon Stadium.

Speaking this afternoon, O’Brien said: “I overreacted on the bench, which I’m not happy about and very remorseful and regret it.

“At halftime I went into the rooms with Justin and we had a chat, and we’re two pretty passionate people who care a lot about the Club and things got a little bit heated.

“But we put it to bed yesterday, I’m happy with where it’s at and Justin’s happy with where it’s at. We’ve cleared the air and are on good terms.

“I’m very comfortable with where I stand with the Club and the Coaches. I’ve got a good working relationship with Justin and I think this is just a little hiccup.

“We’ll move forward from here and be bigger and stronger for it.”

Leppitsch acknowledged he should have handled the situation differently.

“What’s happened is a couple of really passionate people have crossed the line and I’ve apologised to Zac,” said Leppitsch.

“I’ve yelled at him a little bit and grabbed his shirt, and that was inappropriate. It’s not something that I’m proud of.

“It was two passionate people in the heat of the moment. We’ve nipped it in the bud and everything is OK now.

“The one disappointing fact for Zac and I, is that we spoke on Sunday and Monday and it was all good, and for it to be raised again is disappointing.’

O’Brien will be ineligible for Senior selection for the next two games for swearing at Woewodin, but will still be eligible to play NEAFL during that time under a penalty handed out by the Club.

Lions CEO Greg Swann said the matter had been discussed with both parties and was considered closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back