News Leppa and ZOB - Clash of the Titans

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took the time to check on some old fellow football associates in crime.

None of us, that's zero, had ever had or heard of a similar experience.

For a start, confronting a fit young bloke in the middle of a tight game in the manner alleged would very possibly invite a similar direct response. And rightly so.

No amount of PR spin would cover up a situation like that.

IMHO.

Took the time to check on some old fellow football associates in crime.

None of us, that's zero, had ever had or heard of a similar experience.

For a start, confronting a fit young bloke in the middle of a tight game in the manner alleged would very possibly invite a similar direct response. And rightly so.

No amount of PR spin would cover up a situation like that.

IMHO.

Tim Watson was saying on SEN that in this day and age what Leppa has alleged to have done is unacceptable. Yet we have people on this forum claiming that people who think it is unacceptable haven't played football before. Never heard of this Tim Watson bloke, did he play AFL?

Tim Watson was saying on SEN that in this day and age what Leppa has alleged to have done is unacceptable. Yet we have people on this forum claiming that people who think it is unacceptable haven't played football before. Never heard of this Tim Watson bloke, did he play AFL?
hmm, I think the majority on this board who are claiming if they ever played football are well into their 50s and 60s. They followed it when the majority of players were amateurs but in todays game it is professional in every sense. It was highly unprofessional for Leppa to physically grab the player with some reporting he pinned him around the throat. With media like it is now word can spread fast and it is almost impossible to brush incidents like this under the carpet. The Lions are to win games but also to win the support of the QLD people and Leppa physically assaulting a player and causing mental distress within the team will further create rifts resulting in more losses and turn the fence sitting "supporters" away.

The Leppa had plenty of options to get his point across and deal with the problem but to grab a player by the throat and pin him to the wall is taking it way too far.

Last edited:
It must be nice to be riding around on your high horse...

images

hmm, I think the majority on this board who are claiming if they ever played football are well into their 50s and 60s. They followed it when the majority of players were amateurs but in todays game it is professional in every sense. It was highly unprofessional for Leppa to physically grab the player with some reporting he pinned him around the throat. With media like it is now word can spread fast and it is almost impossible to brush incidents like this under the carpet. The Lions are to win games but also to win the support of the QLD people and Leppa physically assaulting a player and causing mental distress within the team will further create rifts resulting in more losses and turn the fence sitting "supporters" away.

The Leppa had plenty of options to get his point across and deal with the problem but to grab a player by the throat and pin him to the wall is taking it way too far.
Good to see you being consistent as usual... :confused:

Why couldn't Leppa bring ZOB into his office, sit him down and explain to him that his actions were unacceptable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you are reading to much into it. This kinda stuff happens all the time at all football clubs. You have 50 odd males being pushed to their limits week in week out. Tensions rise, people blow up. It's not a reflection of 'losing control'. It's just letting o'brien know that his behaviour was unacceptable. He copped it and moved on. I bet it isn't even being discussed amongst the players. It's just the media and supporters beating it up to try an make out that it's some big sign into why we are so s**t at the moment. Like I said this happens all the time at footy clubs. I've had coaches walk out of games at half time, grab players by the shirts to give em a spray. Clipboards broken. I've received a few sprays as well where a coach has grabbed me by the Guernsey and pulled me down a notch. Players need to be pulled into line. Play footy for a year there's nothing wrong with what leppa did.

Yeah I played Local footy for 4 years and we used to smoke bongs before training, drink in excess after every home game and beat the crap out of people behind the play because there were no cameras.

You can use the 'that's just footy' line all you like, but stuff like this is accumulative, its a bad start to a coaching rap sheet. You can dress it up all you like, these guys are professionals - yes it is a unique (high intensity) environment, but a coach touching, grabbing, pulling a jumper by the scruff of a player out of anger is unacceptable. I would doubt it would happen at any other clubs, it is not part of modern day, elite standards.

Everyone I have heard pretty much agrees it was poor form, The club agrees, Leppa Agrees, most media agree, I heard Ian Robson of Melbourne Victory say it was "well beyond the bounds of normality in his experience". IMO it is a serious, valid story and in conjunction with our current issues - fans here and in general should be annoyed, but one as I have said every time, he will get past and we can move on from.

What was worse was him saying on 360 "we are actually going ok, we equalled their inside 50's, its just a scoring issue" but we will leave that for another time.

Talk about clutching at straws. This place is hysterical.

Someone in the room leaked it, and a version of it to put Leppa in the worst possible light. His point is valid. He didn't say it was widespread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone in the room leaked it, and a version of it to put Leppa in the worst possible light. His point is valid. He didn't say it was widespread.
Could easily be a top up telling parents and exaggerating the story who then on told to friends and family or something along those lines. I stand by the clutching at straws statement. Rather than the illuminati conspiracy theory someone is trying to get leppa sacked. And the hysterical part this place is definitely inclined to get pretty dam hysterical over small insignificant things

Last edited:
Yeah I played Local footy for 4 years and we used to smoke bongs before training, drink in excess after every home game and beat the crap out of people behind the play because there were no cameras.

You can use the 'that's just footy' line all you like, but stuff like this is accumulative, its a bad start to a coaching rap sheet. You can dress it up all you like, these guys are professionals - yes it is a unique (high intensity) environment, but a coach touching, grabbing, pulling a jumper by the scruff of a player out of anger is unacceptable. I would doubt it would happen at any other clubs, it is not part of modern day, elite standards.

Everyone I have heard pretty much agrees it was poor form, The club agrees, Leppa Agrees, most media agree, I heard Ian Robson of Melbourne Victory say it was "well beyond the bounds of normality in his experience". IMO it is a serious, valid story and in conjunction with our current issues - fans here and in general should be annoyed, but one as I have said every time, he will get past and we can move on from.

What was worse was him saying on 360 "we are actually going ok, we equalled their inside 50's, its just a scoring issue" but we will leave that for another time.

That's some good points you have there. And I agree to an extent, at first when the story broke and it was a 'choke slam' I thought s**t leppa has lost the plot. But pulling a player down to not stand over him I think is perfectly ok. I mean we are pretty animalistic and when in a position a power; having someone stand over you who is meant to be of lower position then you is quite threatening. Having anyone stand over you is threatening. That's all I think it is leppa reinforcing the hey I'm the top dog around here. And sometimes you need more than words to achieve that. Body languageis an incredibly powerful tool to assert dominance. The spray wouldn't have had as good as an effect if leppa was yelling up to zack. Look at all the great coaching sprays, you can clearly see the power relationship and that's all I think was the real point of the grab. That's just my opinion but each to there own.

This part;
Someone inside Lions HQ wants the Leppa gone
is a bit hysterical.
Absolutely nothing to suggest it came from "Lions HQ", nor that anyone "wants 'The' Leppa gone".

Not just the story that might have been exaggerated. Some imaginations might also be.

This part;

is a bit hysterical.
Absolutely nothing to suggest it came from "Lions HQ", nor that anyone "wants 'The' Leppa gone".

Not just the story that might have been exaggerated. Some imaginations might also be.
It is definitely someone from inside the club, there is no doubt about that. Why is more uncertain though obviously.

As for the issue it appears it was greatly exaggerated in the initial reporting and there was no choke hold put on as some stories had mentioned. Don't think it's that big a deal now that more details have emerged.

Again, someone from the club clearly leaked, but that's not to say they leaked the chokehold story. A journalist could easily just add some sauce onto the story they were given. Its not like they'll regularly be pumping NEAFL guys for information so they would hardly be worried about burning bridges. Plus, no-one is going to come out and complain that isn't the version of the story they leaked, because they would be outed as the leaker.

As a rule, if I read an unattributed statement, I'm comfortable assuming it was an overexcited reporter.

Again, someone from the club clearly leaked...

Wasn't the reserves game directly after the seniors at Metricon? Any number of people could have been around the rooms. So not necessarily someone from the club.

It is definitely someone from inside the club, there is no doubt about that. Why is more uncertain though obviously.

As for the issue it appears it was greatly exaggerated in the initial reporting and there was no choke hold put on as some stories had mentioned. Don't think it's that big a deal now that more details have emerged.
I don't get that at all. Maybe it was but how do we know that?
This was at a NEAFL game. There are kids from other clubs in there just for starters, and who knows who else might be invited into the rooms at half time.
Is it so strict at that level that only players and staff are allowed in? You could possibly even see in enough through the doorway. I don't know, I haven't been to the change rooms at Metricon.
I'd suggest that the only thing that is certain, is that nothing is certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back