Leppa's Gameplan

Remove this Banner Ad

Check the video out - the post-game press conference was taken out of context in the interview that LOTR is mentioning. I highly doubt the second scenario would ever happen in any environment.

You're right, I was just responding to earlier comments where some people were implying that perhaps Leppa really did declare it as a loss before the match.

Good presser by Leppa. He referred to individual performances being down during the interview...if that indeed means he will single out some players for not performing/not carrying out the game plan, then more power to him. How else can a single player (Rocky) get 44 touches, yet our next best is on 21?

Good list management, something we have lacked for a decade now.
The part of your post that I have bolded has confused me. I read a post of yours in the Freo vs Brisbane game day thread on the main board last night and you said the following:

"Lions are s**t. Every QLDer should follow a true QLD club! Go Suns!" This is a direct quote.

Soooo are you a Lions fan or a Plastics..I mean Suns fan?

I believe Leppa is trying to accomplish 2 things this year. 1) learn about the playing group, find out who can play his footy and who cant and make changes to the list accordingly. 2) development of players. This Includes playing players in other positions to add to their game. With development being the priority it means we sometimes play players in weaker positions such as Mayes down back or Robbo as a tagger instead of Raines. These arent done because we think they add more to the team, it's simply done to teach. We are essentially playing to develop, especially in the games we are very likely to lose.

This is different to playing to lose or not playing to win, even though the outcome is the same. Our list is nowhere near finals, and a lot of players need a lot of development, and I dont just mean first year players. The only players that dont need more work on their game are the blokes who are likely to retire before we play finals again. We so so so desperately need to improve our list, and the players on it. I have no problem with Leppa doing this, and fast tracking some of our youth by doing this at senior level instead of doing it via the 2nds over the first few years.

Again, its not like we are playing players who dont deserve a game. Whilst we are playing a lot of young players, they are out performing the older blokes in the 2nds, so we are still putting out players who are earning their games. We brought Leppa in to coach and get this team to finals. Despite our performance last year, we are years away from this, and unless we want to be the next Richmond or North, we need to develop and do things right. Why arent we doing things like we did last year? Because we have a different coach. Leppa sold his vision and plans to the club and is entitled to do his job. Agree with the Voss sacking or not, it is done and we have to deal with the fall out, and that is a new coach, new way of playing footy and our list losing 2-3 years of 1st round picks.

The club and coach have been consistent all year with the message, we are taking the long road and trying to build towards something. Leppa wasnt brought in to take us to finals next year, expect another bottom 6 finish next year as we continue to develop the list.

The part of your post that I have bolded has confused me. I read a post of yours in the Freo vs Brisbane game day thread on the main board last night and you said the following:

"Lions are s**t. Every QLDer should follow a true QLD club! Go Suns!" This is a direct quote.

Soooo are you a Lions fan or a Plastics..I mean Suns fan?
Lions fan first and foremost. I do enjoy the Suns and was a foundation member. My emotions got the better of me last night and I regret that loose comment.

Lions fan first and foremost. I do enjoy the Suns and was a foundation member. My emotions got the better of me last night and I regret that loose comment.
063419-212b0ade-dc9f-11e3-917f-8bca2ad8cf46.jpg

1400562437978.jpg

The general consensus is that we are years away from being a good team. Will Leppa be able to maintain his position as coach for all those years?

At some point, you have to back someone in and give them the time needed to do the job. As Voss has said in an interview, the club initially gave him the green light to go with youth, but got cold feed half way in wanting results now when we simply hadn't developed enough kids yet. He gets the boot, and here we are back where we started 2-3 years ago. Unless we can pull off some great FA recruiting to quickly bring in some more talent, there is only 1 way to do this. Use our high picks, draft good young players, and bloody well keep them here.

I also don't think that as a club, you go and employ a rookie head coach if you are expecting results in a short time frame. I think as a club, they have had to bite the bullet, and bring someone in the do the rebuild, especially after losing all those players.

Can we hold onto our youth based on the hope that one day we'll be a decent side?

Or will Rich, Leuenberger, etc. jump ship Brian Lake or possibly James Frawley style.

It isnt hope, either you retain your players to be able to build a quality list or we get stuck in an endless loop of our current state. Draft players, develop them for 2 years, they leave, rinse repeat.

I just hope we can hold onto them, because I think overall we pick pretty good players at the draft table. Just hope our new CEO can get the funds to push back into player welfare and development.

Think that first quarter really showed off what Leppa wants. Defensive style without the Roos or Ross lock down. Just getting the ball in and pressure creating turn overs. We produced a lot of snaps and shots on goal that werent clean enteries, which is really pleasing as it creates scoreboard pressure and makes the back line nervous whenever the ball gets in there.

Also the complete starvation of the opposition. No time, no space, no ball. And we didnt play keepings off, we just moved the ball well, won the contested ball and pressured them when they did get it. Mean while we always had options.

Can't wait for 2015 already...another pre-season with his team and probably a tweak or two should do wonders for Leppa's gameplan :footy:

With most clubs deploying one strict tag per game (at most); there should be a few getting off the chain. All with very different assets:

Hanley, Rockliff, Zorko & Rich with support from:

Redden, Beams, Paparone, Mayes, Aish & Lester.

Not a bad midfield being developed considering Green, Taylor, Bewick, Robertson & Cutler will spend time in there too :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're getting a bit of love across the board this week, but this from Bound for Glory sums up our recent form and Leppa's distinct blueprint.

http://boundforglorynews.com/lions-beginning-to-roar/

Since a disastrous game against Fremantle in round 14, when they scored a club-record low of 22 points, Brisbane ranks amongst the very best in the league defensively. In that time they’ve conceded 328 points, a feat only bettered by Sydney (323).

They have suddenly become structurally sound, not allowing teams time and space to transition through the middle, only conceding 58.8 uncontested marks and 44.6 inside 50s a game.

Once teams make it inside 50 they are starved of opportunity, with only Sydney, Geelong and Essendon able to prevent goals more frequently. The ability of the constantly underrated combination of Joel Patfull, Justin Clarke, Matt Maguire and Darcy Gardiner to kill contests has been superb and the numbers through the midfield have positioned themselves well in support.

Chances closer to goal and right in front have been few and far between, with Brisbane rarely conceding a goal inside 30 metres. All the numbers point to a significant improvement in structure, a far cry from the results of months previous.

We're getting a bit of love across the board this week, but this from Bound for Glory sums up our recent form and Leppa's distinct blueprint.

Don't want to overstate the article but that is incredible.

And for anyone wondering in that time we've played:

North
Richmond
WCE
GC
Melbourne

So whilst these aren't all top 4 teams this is still a pretty damn good achievement, IMO.

The experimentation period leading into the first bye really hurt us but we've played 6 or 7 decent games since. Hopefully our form after the first bye apart from the Freo and GWS games can be the benchmark for next season.

Good article. I knew we'd improve, but I didn't know the improvement was so noticeable stats wise.
Defensively we've been great, but being no.1 for average individual goal scorers is also a good sign. 7.9 disposal per inside 50 shows that concerns about our ball movement were unfounded.

Good article. I knew we'd improve, but I didn't know the improvement was so noticeable stats wise.
Defensively we've been great, but being no.1 for average individual goal scorers is also a good sign. 7.9 disposal per inside 50 shows that concerns about our ball movement were unfounded.
It's not our forward ball movement it's the oppositions. We are holding up their ball movement and restricting the opposition spread of goalscorers to just 6 instead of the 9 or 10 we had at the start of the year. The data that I'm most pleased about is that we are now ranked number 1 in opposition uncontested marks the past month. We have really clamped down on opposition spread which was one of the things I personally raged at.

On a side note, it would be interesting to observe a table portraying our offensive side of the game.

It's not our forward ball movement it's the oppositions. We are holding up their ball movement and restricting the opposition spread of goalscorers to just 6 instead of the 9 or 10 we had at the start of the year. The data that I'm most pleased about is that we are now ranked number 1 in opposition uncontested marks the past month. We have really clamped down on opposition spread which was one of the things I personally raged at.

On a side note, it would be interesting to observe a table portraying our offensive side of the game.
That's the 2nd time I've horribly misread something on here today.

But yeah, we've definitely made a lot of progress in shutting down opposition ball movement. A couple of months ago seagulls would be lining up to rack up 30+ easy touches against us with minimal effort.

Voss and Leppa appear to be different styles of coaches. Voss an aura of a legend, Leppa has an outward appearance of being more laid back. Different players respond differently to different coaching. Leppa either can change his style to the person he is coaching which is a true gift of a great coach or he maybe his approach relates to more and specifically the younger players.

It is too early to know whether Leppa is truly great or just has a nice style of communication. I think it is the former and hope so. It doesn't change my appreciation for what Vossy did in the past 5 years though cause I would bet my last dollar he was trying his guts out for our team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back