Lest We Forget

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Just thought id like to give a massive thank you too the Diggers who made the absolute sacrifice so those of us today can enjoy the freedom that we now have.To those who had to endure the loss of a loved one and had to carry that thoughout their lives i standby you.
Lest We Forget.

Can't compare the sacrifices, these men and women made, to football at all.

Lest we Forget.
Thank god Nick Maxwell has retired so we don't have to listens o him talk about how Collingwood and Essendon are going into war with each other. Cringeworthy stuff that was.

Posted this in another thread, thought it might be appropriate here too...

On a slightly different note just watched the news & noticed the security at Gallipoli including special forces sharp shooters(Turkish) in the hills watching over the Australians...The degree of respect and care shown toward Aussies is very humbling. Including the words of Kemal Ataturk at Gallipoli

In 1934 Atatürk wrote a tribute to the Anzacs killed at Gallipoli:

Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives ... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours ... You, the mothers who sent their sons from faraway countries, wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

This inscription appears on the Kemal Atatürk Memorial, Anzac Parade, Canberra.

Always puts a lump in my throat when I read it.......

Posted this in another thread, thought it might be appropriate here too...

On a slightly different note just watched the news & noticed the security at Gallipoli including special forces sharp shooters(Turkish) in the hills watching over the Australians...The degree of respect and care shown toward Aussies is very humbling. Including the words of Kemal Ataturk at Gallipoli

Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives ... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours ... You, the mothers who sent their sons from faraway countries, wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

This inscription appears on the Kemal Atatürk Memorial, Anzac Parade, Canberra.

Always puts a lump in my throat when I read it.......

The Turkish Army suffered about ten times the casualties as the Australians - they lost 80 thousand men, defending their own soil. Respect to them, for respecting our blokes during that awful war, for their hospitality at ANZAC Cove every year and for what the Turkish Australians give to this country.

I got an email asking me to do a survey about the "game day experience" from Friday night's Melbourne game, including the question:

"Which part of the ANZAC Eve commemoration ceremony did you find the most enjoyable or satisfying?"

I was interested how others on here might answer that?

I got an email asking me to do a survey about the "game day experience" from Friday night's Melbourne game, including the question:

"Which part of the ANZAC Eve commemoration ceremony did you find the most enjoyable or satisfying?"

I was interested how others on here might answer that?

Enjoyable ? Not the first thing that comes to mind when thinking ANZAC day. Sad , solume, maybe....

Enjoyable ? Not the first thing that comes to mind when thinking ANZAC day. Sad , solume, maybe....

Yeah, "enjoy" isn't the right word.

I answered the survey that Ron Barassi's involvement was what I thought worked well. I thought the whole bit was done well - I found it respectful and moving - but you just know it meant a lot to Barass, and that meant something to me.

This inscription appears on the Kemal Atatürk Memorial, Anzac Parade, .....
I felt very emotional on Friday when they lit the flame and I really hope that this becomes a traditional gam for both teams.

No one can ever underestimate the importance of this day to Australia

On a side note Kemal Ataturk actually said this in 1934

“The landing at Gallipoli on April 25, 1915, and the fighting which took place on the peninsula will never be forgotten. They showed to the world the heroism of all those who shed their blood there. How heartrending for their nations were the losses that this struggle caused.”

“Whatever views we of the present or future generations of Turks may hold in regard to the rights or wrong of the world war, we shall never feel less respect for the men of Anzac and their deeds when battling against our armies … They were nearer to achieving the seemingly impossible than anyone on the other side yet realises.”

He never mentioned johnnies or Mehmets

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I wrote was apparently a quote RunningBounce . I got it off a website, but I'm not sure about it's accuracy now or source....Is it possible he said both of what we posted??

What I wrote was apparently a quote RunningBounce . I got it off a website, but I'm not sure about it's accuracy now or source....Is it possible he said both of what we posted??

I reckon that might be Stigmata you're looking for TJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back