Gibbs stays - Who else do we throw the kitchen sink at?

Should he stay or should he go now?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me, it looked like for the first time since he was drafted that he was playing for his spot. He looked desperate and frenetic when he didnt have the ball and the picture of poise and composure when he did. It was easily his best performance for mine and if his attitude is like that for the rest of the season then he'll have warranted a $650-700k paycheque. But he's too hot and cold right to command a Selwood-like salary for my money.
I know where you're coming from invinci and a lot of the time he's looked too comfortable out there, particularly when playing defence. I just don't think it was a one off - he seems to have approached the season as a whole with desperation, at least from where I sit.

It's probably a common thing for a sports person who is good enough to run around in 'cruise control', that question marks about intensity inevitably arise. Bryce's biggest challenge to becoming elite will always be pushing himself to the uncomfortable. Great game yesterday, hope to see more Steve Waugh and a little less Mark from now on.

Nobody has said he cant, people have said he doesnt do it consistently enough to warrant a $700k paycheque. How is that such a hard concept for some people to grasp?

Its been 5 rounds, he's played one blinder, a couple of 'OK to fair' games and a couple of absolute shockers. I did put the option of "if he tears it up this season, pay him whatever he wants". Would you say he's taken this season by the scruff of its neck?

Some perspective please.
Perspective? What are you talking about?

A poster more or less says Gibbs doesn't perform against the best sides. With very little effort I find 2 games from last season during which he clearly did perform against a couple of last year's Top 4 teams. If I spent some time on fully researching this, I am confident I will identify a number of good games against the better teams.

I have not stated anything over the top about Gibbs' performances, his financial worth etc. I responded to a post which was not based on fact & as a result the poster in question moved the goalposts when he was caught out just potting Gibbs for the sake of it.

I'll maintain his performance last week was just as determined as his performance this week. Certainly I thought he was top 3 last week and second to Murphy this week. It's far easier to be noticed when the rest of the midfield is firing than when you're on your own out there.

Statistically Gibbs looks pretty good. I can only go with my own eyes when judging intensity because there is no stat for it. He wasn't corralling or trailing in the run this week, he was flat chat and putting his body on the line, and hurting with his tackles. If Bryce was just as intense last week, he would have stood out like a sore thumb because nobody else was.

I think we need to keep him

If he plays like he did last night, he'll be a top 10 midfielder in the AFL within a year .... behind Murphy still though. ;)

Bryce Gibbs the 2014 whipping boy for Carlton Bigfooty Board.

Let's see;

2nd for Contested Possession Average at Carlton(if he is squibbing then what are others doing)
5th for Average Kicks per match
4th for Average Uncontested Possessions
5th for Average Tackles per game
8th for Average Goals per game
4th for Average Fantasy Points

I don't like turning to stats, but I have felt all year the Murphy and Gibbs have unfairly been maligned by supporters when in fact they are the only 2 really having a crack game in game out, and with out those 2 we would be 0-5 and not one supporter would be thinking we are a chance against literally anyone.

Gibbs is worth every bit of $500k -$600k in comparison to the rest of our list, and if Carlton lose him when we have so many hitting Veteran Age and a list with so many holes in it then questions should be asked.

We all know what Gibbs is capable of. For me, the only back off I have on Gibbs is that he doesn't deliver week in, week out. If he puts as much intensity in as he did yesterday then no one would have a bad word to say about him.

I think it's simple. If we finish 9th or lower, let him go. This doesn't mean a full rebuild as I think we have drafted well enough over the past 2 seasons and have some great players still but it's time to freshen the list.

If we play finals, keep him on no more than $600,000. Trade off a few and still bring in some youth.

We need more kids who can kick and are good decision makers. A tall early in the draft if not 2 would be handy...

I think it's simple. If we finish 9th or lower, let him go. This doesn't mean a full rebuild as I think we have drafted well enough over the past 2 seasons and have some great players still but it's time to freshen the list.

If we play finals, keep him on no more than $600,000. Trade off a few and still bring in some youth.

We need more kids who can kick and are good decision makers. A tall early in the draft if not 2 would be handy...
So, what are we saying here - Gibbs is directly responsible for whether we make finals and no other players are accountable?

What about if he wins the B&F and we finish 9th - we still get rid of him?

And What about if Gibbs averages 12 possessions and we make finals - keep him and pay him an exorbitant salary

Makes no sense - make a decision on his contract based on his actual performance

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have tried not to post in this ridiculous thread but WTF.

For every year he has played at Carlton there have been people asking for him to go.

WHY???????????

He is still clearly one of the better players in the comp.

So he doesn't get Ablett's 800 touches a game, nor does he kick 5 goals a game, but he still does the job he is required to do.

What more do you folks want???

We all know what Gibbs is capable of. For me, the only back off I have on Gibbs is that he doesn't deliver week in, week out. If he puts as much intensity in as he did yesterday then no one would have a bad word to say about him.

Most of us are in the same boat MEB. To see him play like he did yesterday and what he has dished up over the past couple of weeks is why he frustrates alot of Carlton supporters. In our top 3 yesterday and fingers crossed he can maintain this type of form over the coming weeks.

I have tried not to post in this ridiculous thread but WTF.

For every year he has played at Carlton there have been people asking for him to go.

WHY???????????

He is still clearly one of the better players in the comp.

So he doesn't get Ablett's 800 touches a game, nor does he kick 5 goals a game, but he still does the job he is required to do.

What more do you folks want???

Consistency.

I don't have an issue with the way he plays. I personally think he is played out of position. He is a midfielder and should start and finish there, not be moved all over the shop from HBF to the wing to HFF back to HBF then into the guts. Let him settle in the guts and prove to all of us what he is really capable of.

That's just my opinion, which is worth 2 fifths of * all, anyway.

I don't have an issue with the way he plays. I personally think he is played out of position. He is a midfielder and should start and finish there, not be moved all over the shop from HBF to the wing to HFF back to HBF then into the guts. Let him settle in the guts and prove to all of us what he is really capable of.

That's just my opinion, which is worth 2 fifths of **** all, anyway.
Agree. He is a prolific ball winner and having him around the ball really assists the rest of our mids. Having Gibbs, Thomas, Murphy running through the middle really stretches a sides negating mids. Surely if Murphy gets a hard tag, one of Gibbs or Thomas should get off the chain if played there enough. All three are capable of opening games up.

The problem is the "holes in our list" don't allow for this consistently. I would really like to see Malthouse stick with Gibbs in the midfield but sometimes it has not been possible. Hopefully some improvement from our bottom end players and up & comers such as White, Rowe, Bell, Buckley mean we don't have to sacrifice Gibbs as often.

Most of us are in the same boat MEB. To see him play like he did yesterday and what he has dished up over the past couple of weeks is why he frustrates alot of Carlton supporters. In our top 3 yesterday and fingers crossed he can maintain this type of form over the coming weeks.

He's been top 5, if not 3, the whole year..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are quite a few more on our list who are WAY worse than Gibbs, but no one in calling for them to be let go.
I don't think anybody disputes the fact that Gibbs is one of our better players. it's just that if you can let him go and get a top 6 or 7 pick for him and then use the money on a similar quality f.a the year after then it's worth thinking about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back