Let's get creative with trades

Remove this Banner Ad

Spoke to a Carlton dude at work - Garlett's ex packed bags and took their son back home (perth?). He's been a headcase since and a shadow of the player who was a deadly small forward. Good riddance (he said) and if he's not traded he'll be flicked - did zilch in the two's this year.

just the messenger....
Hopefully this can put the ridiculous notion of trading for this guy to bed.

He is a dud. Never was much chop and only ever kicked goals because Eddie was taking the #1 small defender every week. Now he's got himself in hot water at his club, with apparent homesickness/domestic issues and is getting pushed out the door. Exactly the kind of player we don't need.

Like I said in your opinion Morris is crap and yet despite this and the fact that he was carrying an injury all year Dea couldn't dislodge him from the side, even when Morris missed with suspension he was back immediately, while Dea wallowed away in the VFL. Says a heap more about where Dea is at if he can't dislodge a player you say is crap.
Or the coach couldn't make a tough decision

Like I said in your opinion Morris is crap and yet despite this and the fact that he was carrying an injury all year Dea couldn't dislodge him from the side, even when Morris missed with suspension he was back immediately, while Dea wallowed away in the VFL. Says a heap more about where Dea is at if he can't dislodge a player you say is crap.
Or the coach couldn't make a tough decision

Trade Vickery to Freo for there first (pick 13)

pick 11- Shiel
pick 13 - Duggan
pick 31 - Trade to Carlton for Jeff Garlett
pick 48 - Trade to Gold Coast for Gorringe (pretty sure thats not gonna happen, maybe throw in Grigg)
pick 67 - Upgrade Miles

GET IT DONE TIGES!
Lay down the pip m8, that's crazay talk

I feel like IF we were gonna trade Vickery, Geelong would be the ones to deal with. Screaming out for another forward to help Tomahawk, plus with all there ruckman's injuries, it would help to have him on their list. Say a swap for Christensen and something else? Christensen would give us that speed on the outside and could also play that small forward role. I think we should keep vick but if he wanted out this could be a win win.

I feel like IF we were gonna trade Vickery, Geelong would be the ones to deal with. Screaming out for another forward to help Tomahawk, plus with all there ruckman's injuries, it would help to have him on their list. Say a swap for Christensen and something else? Christensen would give us that speed on the outside and could also play that small forward role. I think we should keep vick but if he wanted out this could be a win win.

Christensen is too old IMO, we would need their first rounder.

Christensen is 23. :drunk:

Geelong wouldn't give him up though.

I understand that but given the repairs we will need to do to build our list, eg, replace Chaplin, Houli, Grigg etc.. Christenson will be 27 and best years gone by the time we get near contention for a GF and we really need guys firing by then eg. 25 so 21 now or younger IMO would be more ideal and better options in the drafts probably. 27 individually may not be old but part of a group that is starting to age unlike Port now it becomes old IMO.

Just can't see us doing any big moves this year... not trying to be a negitve nelly but we are not the most attractive club to go too and we are obsessed with the "money ball" tactic.

Is Vickery up for grabs? Some around the place are saying yes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as I would like to think that the the club are throwing this idea around. I would say not.
Cheers Tiges. For mine he is the sort of player that is in that "will he or will he not improve" bracket and make for good trades both ways.

Cheers Tiges. For mine he is the sort of player that is in that "will he or will he not improve" bracket and make for good trades both ways.
That's the reason we won't trade him. Hardwick seemsto love him and will most likely get picked ahead of Griff yet again come next year.
Personally I would love to see him traded. Out of interest, would you like to see him at Port? If so, what do you think Port would offer?

That's the reason we won't trade him. Hardwick seemsto love him and will most likely get picked ahead of Griff yet again come next year.
Personally I would love to see him traded. Out of interest, would you like to see him at Port? If so, what do you think Port would offer?
Personally I would (not as much as Ryder of course) because he offers what we need atm, a second ruck that can play forward. As he would be second ruck and third KPF and thus have the pressure taken off him he could shine.
Trade wise is an interesting one. He hasn't set the world on fire but the potential is still there and occasionally shows up BUT if he doesn't start firing in the next two years his value will drop considerably.

A few years back it would have been different and you would have expected more but, the way clubs value first and early second round picks nowadays, a mid second rounder and a mid valued player is probably all you would get.

That's why players like him make trade week interesting, if he was to develop Richmond would be best served by keeping him, however if he doesn't you would win on the trade.

Having said that the player himself needs to think that a change of environment might be a good thing.
I'm not sure he would command a massive offer that is too good to refuse money wise and is young enough for the length of contract not to come into play.

Last edited:
Should we trade Ty Vickery for Ryder and Heppell to EFC?

Might have to wait a few years but worth it especially for Heppell IMO
I know it's not my board but that is extreme.

Personally I would (not as much as Ryder of course) because he offers what we need atm, a second ruck that can play forward. As he would be second ruck and third KPF and thus have the pressure taken off him he could shine.
Trade wise is an interesting one. He hasn't set the world on fire but the potential is still there and occasionally shows up BUT if he doesn't start firing in the next two years his value will drop considerably.

A few years back it would have been different and you would have expected more but, the way clubs value first and early second round picks nowadays, a mid second rounder and a mid valued player is probably all you would get.

That's why players like him make trade week interesting, if he was to develop Richmond would be best served by keeping him, however if he doesn't you would win on the trade.

Having said that the player himself needs to think that a change of environment might be a good thing.
I'm not sure he would command a massive offer that is too good to refuse money wise and is young enough for the length of contract not to come into play.

With Elton and McBean in the ressies getting themselves prepared for AFL and with Griff coming in and slotting into Vickery's position, the lure of trading Vickery with the aim of getting either a 2nd round draft pick or a player which we lack in (small forward) or possibly both would entice many.

However, as you have stated, Vickery does have plenty of potential. It's whether he can live up to it. So the risk is, do we let him go and try and secure a trade that works for us, or do we keep him and hope he becomes what we expect.

Personally, I don't think he will while he is at Richmond. I think that the pressure of having to be that 2nd key forward is getting to him. Also I think having his Dad as our boxing coach is a huge mistake. He is in his comfort zone it seems. He knows Dad is going to be around no matter what.

I am sure that we will keep him. At least until Mcbean is ready for AFL.

Value wise both Heppell and Ryder are top shelfers and Vickery is one or two rungs below, B if not C but with potential.

Personally I'd also like to to see Essendon as fairly compensated as it could happen. They will never get full value for their best players if any should decide to leave but hopefully they will not get totally screwed.

Value wise both Heppell and Ryder are top shelfers and Vickery is one or two rungs below, B if not C but with potential.

Personally I'd also like to to see Essendon as fairly compensated as it could happen. They will never get full value for their best players if any should decide to leave but hopefully they will not get totally screwed.

I think the implication is if they get a 6-24 month ban, and its served at the new club, they will need to be traded at a significant discount

Ha ha playing politician I think. Heppell and Ryder may not play for a few years.

We might trade Newman to them and he gets a 2 year deal with a big pay rise possibly!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back