Opinion Let's get Grimey!

Remove this Banner Ad

Really he was playing as a key defender but his body size probably dictates a Grant birchall role.
If he could give us Grant Birchall output I would be doing backflips. Big love for GB. Gun.

IMO, I hope he takes Chaplins spot this year. Grimes offers good skills, the ability to read the play and he rarely panics IMO. If he can continue to work on his offensive game, and starts to become a more attacking weapon from the back half, that should get him to hold his spot. I really rate Grimes, if he stays injury free I can see him easily playing 200 games
Agree 100%. If he can get back to his best, he makes Chaplin redundant. Grimes is just so versatile, in that he can play tall, but is nimble enough to pick up the resting mids/flankers. If his offensive game improves as hoped, we could play him with Rance, Astbury and Batch.. Add a small lock down defender and a genuine rebounding HBF and I think you've got a sexy back 6 for the next 5-7 years

Grimes has shown no offensive game so far. I think he's a good defender, I think he's a smart footballer. He certainly gets the best out of what he's got.

I'm just not sure he has a great deal of AFL high-level skill. He's OK.

We can't play Rance, Astbury, Chaplin, Grimes and Batchelor in the same side. Too slow (although Grimes is probably the quickest of all those).

Drop Chaplin

Grimes is a gun

Grimes did well today but was fumbly. I hope he can get more of a 1 touch in him.

Backline was good, given the number of shots on goal the doggies had today, considering all those missing. I'd like to think he may have been a little fumbly due to extra pressure & being the first game with opposition club in a little while. He'll definitely get better I'd think (for what that's worth)....

Really hope he can have a big year - remember when he'd only played 10-20 odd games? Looked an incredible young prospect. Wasn't he even at one stage the best spoiler in the comp? Had great composure and was able to dance through traffic with his rebound. Hope he can get back to that kind of style of play!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I missed the game. Did we get any rebound from him or was he in a negating role?

As Flea says, mostly defensive from Grimey vs Dogs, NAB 1.

He got a couple of beautiful third man over-the-top spoils in marking contests. Not sure who he spent most of his time minding. I thought I saw him picking up Stringer, Grant (yes, Grant was playing, but had about the same impact as McBean) and Bontempelli at different times, and he probably nullified whoever he was on.

No rebound that I saw. 6 disposals with 4 contested, 4 tackles, 5 one percenters. 1 rebound 50. No inside 50s. Back pocket's numbers, there.

What we get out of Grimes is a solid back pocket, who will usually nullify whoever he is given, but with little to no attack. I s**t a kidney every time he marks the ball on the wing in space, but stops, looks right, looks left, looks right again before opting for a 15 metre kick sideways.

IMO, a team can only carry one or two of these types, maximum. He'll need to learn to attack, because the mids just cannot carry the lack of attack from Grimes, Batchelor, Chaplin and Astbury.

If I was coach, I'd set Grimes the KPI of averaging one or more bounces a game. If he can learn to run with the footy, or at least bloody play-on when he has the room, he'll play 200 games.

As Flea says, mostly defensive from Grimey vs Dogs, NAB 1.

He got a couple of beautiful third man over-the-top spoils in marking contests. Not sure who he spent most of his time minding. I thought I saw him picking up Stringer, Grant (yes, Grant was playing, but had about the same impact as McBean) and Bontempelli at different times, and he probably nullified whoever he was on.

No rebound that I saw. 6 disposals with 4 contested, 4 tackles, 5 one percenters. 1 rebound 50. No inside 50s. Back pocket's numbers, there.

Ended up seeing the replay. Hope he can stay sound and build his confidence through the NAB cup.

Ended up seeing the replay. Hope he can stay sound and build his confidence through the NAB cup.

I thought the young backline was a highlight for us. Wouldn't mind seeing a similar set-up for NAB 2. Definitely LOVE to see Grimes play all three pre-season games, and go into Round 1 feeling good about himself.

What we get out of Grimes is a solid back pocket, who will usually nullify whoever he is given, but with little to no attack. I s**t a kidney every time he marks the ball on the wing in space, but stops, looks right, looks left, looks right again before opting for a 15 metre kick sideways.

IMO, a team can only carry one or two of these types, maximum. He'll need to learn to attack, because the mids just cannot carry the lack of attack from Grimes, Batchelor, Chaplin and Astbury.

If I was coach, I'd set Grimes the KPI of averaging one or more bounces a game. If he can learn to run with the footy, or at least bloody play-on when he has the room, he'll play 200 games.
Exactly which is why I think we would only play 3 talls in the backline and add another mid.

The taller one is and the shorter one isn't although the taller one is better at playing short than the shorter one is at playing tall but the shorter one is better at playing short than the taller one even though he's alright at it.

The question is which one can play in the ruck..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back