Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Coached themselves....he was always too stubborn to make moves.

I always giggle at the coached them selves call. Like I understand teams can get to the point where they are intuitive enough to make their own things happen on the field but that had to be coached into them!

It in fact takes a greater coaching performance to turn a team of players into an autonomous zone that wins rather than having to baby them all match long...

Big tick for the coach that gets their team to coach themselves.... Get to put your feet up.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Also the new logo, new guernseys, increased membership, more stable football department - the Dogs basically feel like a new club this year, a lot of which has to do with their success on-field yes. Similar to Port a few years ago.

I want that. We may not have the exciting young list that the Dogs do (although we do have a nice group of talented youngsters) but we do have an opportunity to start fresh and rejuvenate the club as of next year in a similar fashion.

An exciting young list is an assessment that occurs well after the event. That is where we have failed.

Show me the rule that states you must appoint a coach with AFL accreditation ? AFL Accreditation won't be relevant for 5 years

The writing's on the wall. As it was when Demetriou used Wangarratta as an excuse to rant about sports scientists on OTC in early 2012.

Hopefully this time the club reads said writing.

The line about teams coaching themselves has always to me, just seemed a somewhat lazy attempt at discrediting coaches.

I mean, with Worsfold and West Coast, yes they had an amazing midfield, an amazing ruck and a gun defender (Glass), but boy; that forward line was ordinary.

Getting that to a flag was a decent achievement.

I still maintain that Worsfold doesn't enthuse me, however.

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
The writing's on the wall. As it was when Demetriou used Wangarratta as an excuse to rant about sports scientists on OTC in early 2012.

No rule that says we have to choose one of the commission endorsed/anointed ones... Just a $2m fine down the track for poor governance if and when we don't

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
was reading with interest an article on the ALP and what Martin Ferguson had to say:

Mr Ferguson said Opposition Leader Bill Shorten did not have the power to curb union influence in the Labor Caucus without the backing of the shadow ministry.
"But at the moment I don't think that's possible,"
"Because too many of that shadow ministry and the Caucus are almost as if they're prisoners of the union movement."
Unions have significant influence over preselections for both Senate and Lower House seats in the Parliament, Mr Ferguson said.
"It's almost as if they sit down now and divide the cake, you get that seat, we get that seat, left and right together and they dole out the prizes to their faithful."

I feel like our club is the same.

We have a shadowy illuminiati like group that sits behind closed doors and pushes around the pieces of our great club. They divide the board and even lower down toward the onfield deptartments with their fancies to do thy bidding.

The poor leader aka coach.. who is the head point of club media relations is fighting with one arm tied behind his back...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
The line about teams coaching themselves has always to me, just seemed a somewhat lazy attempt at discrediting coaches.

I mean, with Worsfold and West Coast, yes they had an amazing midfield, an amazing ruck and a gun defender (Glass), but boy; that forward line was ordinary.

Getting that to a flag was a decent achievement.

I still maintain that Worsfold doesn't enthuse me, however.

not only that, but i challenge anyone, right now to grab 10 gun players and throw them on a field and have them win a flag...

look at gold coast, or gws.. it dosent just happen, it takes years of coaching to have them be intuitiave. Its like having sit coms look improv'd. even the most improv'd ones are scripted to a point.

fwiw.. we were getting to it, rememeber Hooker vs Hawthorn taking it upon himself to change ends and kick the winning goal? that was self coached.... but.. remember they also trained for it.

Show me the rule that states you must appoint a coach with AFL accreditation ? AFL Accreditation won't be relevant for 5 years

Show me the rule that says the AFL have to follow their own rules. How many times in the past have they made up policy on the run?

If you think clubs are going to be allowed to appoint non-accredited coaches after the last two years you are crazy.

Smokin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
in our position, there is no way known we will be appointing a coach without AFL blessing. Just not gonna happen.

Even "if' there was a deal done with coach (not saying there is) - we would still go down the 'process' path - as the visual from outside is just as important as anything for us at this point in time.

Smokin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I feel like our club is the same.

We have a shadowy illuminiati like group that sits behind closed doors and pushes around the pieces of our great club. They divide the board and even lower down toward the onfield deptartments with their fancies to do thy bidding.

The poor leader aka coach.. who is the head point of club media relations is fighting with one arm tied behind his back...

really? I dont get this feeling. No more so than any club with a board in place and obvious people with money on there.

Not sure our coteries make much noise do they? I think as a general rule Essendon people fall in love with Essendon people perhaps too much, and sure the Sheedy thing definitely drew a divide, but that was kinda expected I would have thought?

Compare that with say Carlton, which has a very strong Pratt/Mathiesson shadow hanging over the club.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
really? I dont get this feeling. No more so than any club with a board in place and obvious people with money on there.

Not sure our coteries make much noise do they? I think as a general rule Essendon people fall in love with Essendon people perhaps too much, and sure the Sheedy thing definitely drew a divide, but that was kinda expected I would have thought?

Compare that with say Carlton, which has a very strong Pratt/Mathiesson shadow hanging over the club.

Hmm others may know more than me but I got the feeling they (shadowy figures) may have ousted knights and constructed the coaching dream team, and pushed for unqualified people on the board. Generally push for essendon people rather than the best qualified. I could be way off however, just a vibe I feel

Your thoughts on potentially appointing Worsfold?

Your thoughts on potentially appointing Worsfold?

I don't have a problem with it per se. He's not a genius but he's shrewd. My chief concern in terms of optics is it's a bit like Carlton getting Trigg, if you know what I mean.

I don't have a problem with it per se. He's not a genius but he's shrewd. My chief concern in terms of optics is it's a bit like Carlton getting Trigg, if you know what I mean.

I know what you mean - the fact he is an established and respected figure from outside the club bodes well IMO.
I fear an untried coach will find it a lot more difficult dealing with past players, coteries, tha drugz etc

Thebisc

Senior List
Jun 13, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
An often talked about topic when it comes to coaches is the whole ordinary player = good coach, gun player = shite coach.
Our last 2 coaches were both gun players yet left a lot to be desired in the box. Of the current coaches in the league id say as players were:
Clarkson - average sniper
Ross Lyon - borderline ok
Simpson - above average
Longmire - above average
Hardwick - above average
Beverage - just ok
Roos - very good (never had an opponent though)
Hinkley -above average
Richardson - average
Buckey - Gun
Cameron - above average
Scott Bros - slightly above average
Eade - can't remember
I won't bother with the caretakers.

Buckley the only gun and plenty of questions on him. Matthews and Blight are the only 2 guns in recent times who have been great coaches.
The moral of the story...lets get a good ordinary player to coach. Woosha ticks that box but I think I'd prefer someone new.

Bob81

Team Captain
Apr 29, 2012
Darwin
AFL Club
Essendon
An often talked about topic when it comes to coaches is the whole ordinary player = good coach, gun player = shite coach.
Our last 2 coaches were both gun players yet left a lot to be desired in the box. Of the current coaches in the league id say as players were:
Clarkson - average sniper
Ross Lyon - borderline ok
Simpson - above average
Longmire - above average
Hardwick - above average
Beverage - just ok
Roos - very good (never had an opponent though)
Hinkley -above average
Richardson - average
Buckey - Gun
Cameron - above average
Scott Bros - slightly above average
Eade - can't remember
I won't bother with the caretakers.

Buckley the only gun and plenty of questions on him. Matthews and Blight are the only 2 guns in recent times who have been great coaches.
The moral of the story...lets get a good ordinary player to coach. Woosha ticks that box but I think I'd prefer someone new.

I think woosha was a bit better than ordinary as a player but i agree with what your saying. I know its hypothetical but does anyone think Knights would've been ended up being a good coach??

Cause i remember alot of people calling for his head me included. I also thought Hird and Thompson were going to bring premeirship glory sadly Knights was the better option it would seem. This time they need to take time and get the best candidate no matter what and we need to stick fat with whoever they choose i think.

Thebisc

Senior List
Jun 13, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah I've pro
I think woosha was a bit better than ordinary as a player but i agree with what your saying. I know its hypothetical but does anyone think Knights would've been ended up being a good coach??

Cause i remember alot of people calling for his head me included. I also thought Hird and Thompson were going to bring premeirship glory sadly Knights was the better option it would seem. This time they need to take time and get the best candidate no matter what and we need to stick fat with whoever they choose i think.
Yeah ive probably been a bit harsh on Woosha but im probably also generous to call Knights and out and out gun. Bottom line is I find it interesting that as a rule the players who were never great end up being the best coaches. It might have something to do with their abilities to recognise how to get the best out of small amounts of natural talent. Not saying great players don't work hard, but it definitely comes a lot easier to them than most.

To answer your question I don't think Knights would have been a great coach, seemed to basically have one plan and if that didn't come off we were stuffed. He is looked upon harshly though as I reckon he left that list in decent shape and turned around the careers of some (Watson) being the big one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back