Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

We've had 4 coaches in 8 years.

We need a proven AFL coach who we can back in for the LT, now is not the time to be speculating on an unproven coach.

I am not sure how the selection process that lead to Hird's appointment was a farce because it wasted the time of potential candidates.

It's called "Plan B".

"Plan A" was to put the Hird/Thompson panel together but it was never something that was set in stone and it ultimately took what seems to be a combination of He Who Should Not Be Named*, Thompson and Watson to talk Hird into the job.

What does a professional organisation do? Hold off commencement of the broader selection process in case Plan A falls through or go ahead to ensure that it is in a position to appoint a coach in time for trade and draft period?

I have absolutely no problem "wasting the time" of more "quality football people" if it turns out that a genuine recruitment process, as opposed to messiah complex appointment, decides that the job is Worsefold's to take.

This criticism of wasting candidates time is just more drivel dished up from people whose only experience is living in the fantasy land of AFL football.

*David Evans

They already have Sheedy there.

How about Sanderson? Thought he was treated unfairly at Crows. They had long list of injuries and a difficult draw.

Something tells me he just wasn't liked.

I think Bomber Thompson going to Adelaide is still more 'unlikely' than likely...

But if this did occur it would 100% open the door for Worsfold to come to Essendon.

Think you guys are reading too much into his words, don't forget the world of spin we live in.

When he said he didn't want to coach again he meant he didn't want to coach CARLTON. Then just like magic once the Carlton job is no longer an issue he has the hunger again.

Carlton was an ugly bird putting the word on him, he's pretty much told her hes gay so hes off limits and she would seek elsewhere but he knew he had two hotties in the bag around the corner at the other pub.

Now it's a fight in two.
I for one would be rapt to see worsfold at Essendon ;)

Nah he's been out of the game for too long.
thatsthejoke.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are peoples thoughts on Guy McKenna? His had 5 years of coaching GCS (even though he had an average record)

I think he would know how to develop our kids, might also have a hunger after being sacked

I just want them to go through a proper process, assemble a good panel of insiders and knowledgeable experts to help recruit the right person and then pick the best candidate. Most of the 'proven' coaches available are still no guarantee anyway, so just pick the person who is the best fit and go with it.

Does anyone think Nathan Bassett would be too raw? I wouldn't mind him remaining to coach as a successor, under... Leigh Matthews?

Next season we will have had 5 coaches within a decade. It'd be nice to have some sense of stability within the club which cannot be obtained with a succession plan. Plus I'd prefer not to aspire to be Melbourne.

Does anyone think Nathan Bassett would be too raw? I wouldn't mind him remaining to coach as a successor, under... Leigh Matthews?

Applicant must be able to form proper sentences. Lethal is out

What are peoples thoughts on Guy McKenna? His had 5 years of coaching GCS (even though he had an average record)

I think he would know how to develop our kids, might also have a hunger after being sacked
Do we really want someone who failed to notice drug issues at two separate clubs?

Next season we will have had 5 coaches within a decade. It'd be nice to have some sense of stability within the club which cannot be obtained with a succession plan. Plus I'd prefer not to aspire to be Melbourne.

Let's say Bassett is to succeed a seasoned coach who is brought in to give that stability, continuity is built in because he will already have been at the club for 4-5 years as an assistant.

Also, just because it isn't working as well as Melbourne might have hoped doesn't mean it still won't. When Goodwin takes over he'll have the benefit of having seen what hasn't worked for Roos and adapting his style accordingly. In any case, Melbourne hasn't been completely shite this season. They're inconsistent but there are good signs; finishing higher than last year is positive I would have thought. Anyone not like to have Hogan, Brayshaw and Viney? ...and Petracca if they're lucky next year. Melbourne's improved midfield coincides with the arrival of Simon Goodwin methinks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back