Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

Simon Goosey would be a good choice ...

CFoktJa.jpg

Surprised Worsfold hasn't been mentioned yet. He's got premiership experience and rebuilt teams from the bottom to top 4 twice in his term at WC. Also Ratten is looking a lot better for his run at Carlton the way things have turned out the last 2-3 seasons.

Any and all of them. There's 18 of these gigs and if you get it right at a club like this you're laughing.

A club that will that will have most of its best 22 facing doping bans? Yeah who wouldnt wanna sign up for that. I am sure Dew would definitely choose us over Adelaide or Carlton.

Maybe at the end of 2016 but until then anyone with half a brain wouldnt go near us. Almost the most poisoned of chalices

Surprised Worsfold hasn't been mentioned yet.

You'll forgive me, but that would be like if Carlton went out and got Steven Trigg, a man who was done for salary cap shenanigans, to be their CEO.

OH WAIT

Very hard to sell this job to anyone at the minute. It's like having a house with top potential but ridden with termites.

Is it worth the work? Will the termites be extinguished by cas? If so you may have got yourself a bargain

The two guys who impress me when they talk are Nigel Lappin and Scott Burns.

Never heard anything remotely insightful coming from Bolton, Dew. Never heard Lloyd say anything.

In today's oh so fashionable world of football of course we have to have a "coaching committee" Why ? Because everyone else does it in the world of copy cat afl.
So I nominate Tim "the architect" Watson to be urged to go no-where ******* near our "coaching committee"
Just like your good mate Mr Disaster g.lyon has realised (and he had two cracks at it) there are some things we all just don't have the skill set for.
So back off architect, you've had your shot at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll qualify this by saying I think Hird should coach out the year. Then ideally he walks away following a not guilty verdict (noting the timing might be problematic).

Clarkson and Lyon wouldn't be interested.

Worsfold could be a decent transition sort of coach, I'd the club want to play it safe, but not long term IMO.

Of the untested guys it's really hard to say, because the step up from assistant to senior is so massive. I don't really care for names, just want someone with a lot of passion and experience at other clubs.

As Glenn Ridge might have offered in the past. Today we have facilitated breaking an 118 year old record for our opposition, historically the worst club in the whole competition, in a game that was meant in part to commemorate the 50th anniversary of our 1965 premiership win. As a result we can now pool our carry-over points of ineptitude gathered from the Peter Jackson trophy-polishing phase and use them to unlock the very special "Jungle Drums Round".

I'm not interested discussing the failings or mythical strengths of James Hird as a senior coach in this thread, there's a whole other thread dedicated to that, but with the sequence of performances dished up, combined with the fact that this is his 4th year, the need to move on as a club from this tenure is a fait accompli as far as I'm concerned. There are elements of his narrative that are unfair - so be it. Football continues, and the club must endure. The future lies elsewhere.

There are a multitude of options out there of course, and the right choice might be 2 out of a possible 20. Two selection criteria for me are vital: This person must have premiership experience as a coach. Hird didn't, Knights didn't, but the fella before them did. The second is that this person should not be an Essendon person - we need to be businesslike about this, we need to throw out this insanely old school concept of keeping things in house and that only an Essendon person will understand the club. Knights is held up as an example of the outsider who couldn't get in - this is an unfair example, for the simple fact that he was a bell end. There are sane, charismatic, and talented people out there who have never had anything to do with the Essendon football club that would be ideal for the senior coaching position that on current form, needs to be vacated after the final H&A round of this season.

Stuart Dew

DEW%20Stuart.jpg

Will keep the caterers busy after the massive void created by Jay Neagle, but this can be managed. By all "reports" (and you can take them or leave them) he's blitzing this coaching course they've cooked up, Paul Roos burned bridges to try and snare him, he was an assistant to Longmire in 2012 and while you might argue that premiership is chalked up to the COLA wars, it's hard to deny that the club just plain did things right from top to bottom, and got the most out of dubious entities like Pyke and Morton. As a football nomad he's also seen success at PAFC and HFC in wildly differing scenarios. It is safe to say he has a good understanding of a what a good football club looks like in different incarnations.

Brendan Bolton

Brendon-BOLTON-lowres.gif

Has overcome his Tasmanianness by having the second head surgically removed at some point. Will be able to dodge questions about supplements regime with a mix of foolhardy optimism and not being able to reach the mic. Ultimately he was the first pick to be caretaker for Clarkson in what was ultimately a premiership year - this is significant. He's the heir apparent of course but this was a scenario where the senior coach would be coming back, and they could just as easily have gone with someone like Ratten who was already exposed to the rigours and scrutiny of being a senior coach. Instead they gave Bolton a free audition which it is safe to say he passed with flying colours - it's always questionable when someone didn't play at the senior level, so that's a demerit point, but it's hard to deny the CV of anyone at HFC in 13/14.

Simon Lloyd

LLOYD-Simona.jpg

Not a premiership assistant yet so it would be predicated on what happens in the later parts of the year, but another well credentialed assistant and I have a sneaking suspicion he has a good contact at the club with a bit of clout. Also well-traveled in the football world having worked at Hawthorn and Collingwood.

Those are just some very basic contenders, there are of course a ton out there so I open the floor to the question - if Hird is out on his arse at the end of the year, who would you want in the senior role? And no, this isn't a thread about how we're becoming Richmond supporters - there's plenty of other opportunities for that.

Great write up.

As always there could very well be people more behind the scenes who end up being a better fit for Essendon, like Beverage at the dogs and Walsh at the Crows.

Don't think performances will change too much until the whole WADA situation is resolved, until then not sure any untried assistant coaches would be willing to go for the job, certainly a tough initiation...and once a senior coach gets sacked, they rarely ever get another shot at the senior gig so they would want to choose carefully.

Not sure if it is the media or whether the media have heard whispers from the club, but over here it is being written that Adelaide must and will go 100% for Worsfold. Could be a battle on our hands if that's the case.

Guy McKenna.

Did better with Gold Coast than Eade has done and they were a lot younger when McKenna was coaching.

Get McCartney on board as well.

Or simply poach Richardson/Hinkley.

Guy McKenna.

Did better with Gold Coast than Eade has done and they were a lot younger when McKenna was coaching.

why would you want hinkley port look s**t this season

Not sure if it is the media or whether the media have heard whispers from the club, but over here it is being written that Adelaide must and will go 100% for Worsfold. Could be a battle on our hands if that's the case.

Guy McKenna.

No to every single one of these, no, no, no.

Guy McKenna.

McKenna? The same McKenna who oversaw the development of Gold Coasts culture? Interesting...

Richardson and Hinkley are flavour of the month and not the sort of coaches you would bother poaching.

Does anyone know the reasons Sumich has been knocked back in the past?

Everything you hear/read he's a fantastic assistant, has premiership experience as both a player and assistant coach, and is currently working under Lyon so would definitely have learned a few things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back