Let's talk Ports!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Much prefer the Russell Ebert Stand instead of the Riverbank. I will be making a point of being at his Statue unveiling. REH would you like to see his statue delivering a REH handball or a mark?
My preference would be
1. Doing a drop kick - but that's hard for a sculpator to do.
2. A mark - the one over Peter Marker would be my model
3. A handball

Russell the ruckman

857177-high-flier.jpg

My preference would be
1. Doing a drop kick - but that's hard for a sculpator to do.
2. A mark - the one over Peter Marker would be my model
3. A handball
Yes I like N2 best that one over Marker was a classic Ebert mark that he was renowned for..so much power in is leap. I have that one over Marker framed near my computer. + I had a ringside seat to see him take it "right in front me". I ordered a copy from the tiser and went into to pick it up. N1. I recall seeing him do 2 drop kicks goals at Adelaide oval from centre bounces, 1 right foot the next a left foot drop kick. I think it was in that game where Bucky took a real specy horizontal mark in Fwd pkt of the year quality. N3. The Handball, well his very own unique REH one would hard to make into a statue. I recall seeing him take a high mark and handball it all in the one action before his feet hit the ground. I recall hearing Wally May was in awe of Russ in his commentary. REH does the club have any input into the "great mans" statue?

Last edited:
Yes I like N2 best that one over Marker was a classic Ebert mark that he was renowned for..so much power in is leap. I have that one over Marker framed near my computer. + I had a ringside seat to see him take it "right in front me". I ordered a copy from the tiser and went into to pick it up. N1. I recall seeing him do 2 drop kicks goals at Adelaide oval from centre bounces, 1 right foot the next a left foot drop kick. I think it was in that game where Bucky took a real specy horizontal mark in Fwd pkt of the year quality. N3. The Handball, well his very own unique REH one would hard to make into a statue. REH does the club have any input into the "great mans" statue?

I doubt the club has - but as Basil Sellers is providing the funds - if its like the sculptures at the SCG, the sculptor will talk to the subject of his work and ask for his opinion of what the sculptor intends to do. Richie Benuad and Paul Roos have talked about their dealings with the sculptor and Dizzy Gillespie about the one at the back of the members at AO that Basil Sellers paid for.

** I think I said Rex Sellers in another post. The Sellers family migrated from Sri Lanka after WWII. The boys loved cricket and Rex played for SA and Australia in the 1960's. Basil wasn't good enough - business was his skill. He moved to Sydney and made lots of $$$. He took his love for cricket and footy with him. Apart from paying for the 4 cricket, 4 league, 4 union and 4 swans statues he has commissioned at the SCG to be made over a decade, he was a significant contributor to the Swans players facility built at the SCG in the late 90's. The facilities bare his name.

Last edited:
Did I ever say how much I hate that Max got a stand named after himself? :mad:

The epitome of South Australian establishment narcissism.

Could you imagine Ross Oakley pushing/accepting his name on the Great Southern Stand or Wayne Jackson doing the same at the newly-constructed Docklands?

FFS. There's a reason this state is seen as a den of banjo-pickin' hillbillies.

The epitome of South Australian establishment narcissism.

Could you imagine Ross Oakley pushing/accepting his name on the Great Southern Stand or Wayne Jackson doing the same at the newly-constructed Docklands?

FFS. There's a reason this state is seen as a den of banjo-pickin' hillbillies.

Especially when you consider the midget campaigner didnt want anything to do with AO!

I am still proud of my efforts in the first showdown of standing up and loudly booing that midget as he waddled out into the middle of the ground to toss the coin. campaigner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Max Ba$heer, John Ulcer, Wee Licker, etc. etc. etc. They still annoy and bite but they've lost their power to do us real harm. They can't stop us and you only have to listen to FiveAA or read the Cows board to see how much it burns at them.

I've been enjoying looking at our boys posting pics of themselves on vacation esp. Carhoon and Shaw in Europe. They grow up so fast!

** I think I said Rex Sellars in another post. The Sellars family migrated from Sri Lanka after WWII. The boys loved cricket and Rex played for SA and Australia in the 1960's. Basil wasnt good enough - business was his skill. He moved to Sydney and made lots of $$$. He took his love for crickst and footy with him. Apart from paying for the 4 cricket, 4 league, 4 union and 4 swans statues he has commisioned at the SCG to be made over a decade, he was a significant contributor to the Swans players facility built at the SCG in the late 90's. The facilities bare his name.[/QUOTE]

The Sellers family migrated from India. Our families were neighbours for 30 + years and I spent a lot of time with Basil and Rex. Basil played some district cricket (fast bowler) but his forte was basketball having represented SA - I think his local team was North Adelaide. I spent countless freezing nights at the old Forestville stadium with his Father (Alf). A quality family and Basil's contribution to both sport and the arts is outstanding.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I think that's the Charles Bridge in Prague.

Coincidentally, it's the same bridge Hutchence was on in the NTUA film clip.

yep. must be 7 in the morning to be so free of bloody tourists! it's out of peak season now but I've been there in a cold november week as well and the bloody thing is crowded from end to end all day

The Sellers family migrated from India. Our families were neighbours for 30 + years and I spent a lot of time with Basil and Rex. Basil played some district cricket (fast bowler) but his forte was basketball having represented SA - I think his local team was North Adelaide. I spent countless freezing nights at the old Forestville stadium with his Father (Alf). A quality family and Basil's contribution to both sport and the arts is outstanding.

My bad. I was thinking all the S's - sub continent, south australia and sri lanka. There was a great piece on Rex Sellers on 7.30 SA last July by Mike Sexton and Basil gets mentioned. Until that story I didnt realise Rex was president of West Torrens in 1990 ie the year merger with Woodville until I saw the 7.30 piece.

The following link has a bit of his story written up by Mike Sexton and embedded in the link is the video Sexton did of his story on 7.30 SA a few days earlier in July last year.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-04/rex-sellers-spin-on-south-australias-cricketing-best/4799284

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back