Let's talk Ports!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah got it a little wrong talked about 66,000 turning up to the 66 GF - he wasnt 100% sure it was 66 but said Sturt beat Port by 3 pts. But it was the 65 GF, 62.5k was the crowd and Port won by 3 pts. In 66 Sturt belted Port and the crowd was 59k.
I thought he mentioned 66k as the crowd and thought he got mixed up with the official crowd of '76.

Good reading.

This might sound crazy but I believe the 2015 disaster of a year has set up a platform for a massive 2016 for the club.

The mistakes will be learnt from. e.g the complacency issue
Also the draw Port have now because of the 2015 cluster **** should position them extremely well come September

There has to be hardship before success.

Incredible forward line, incredible midfield. Back line mmm not sure.

2016 should be a great one for Port...They should be top 4. If they can't make finals with that draw they might as well give up.

Assuming Carlile and Trengove stay healthy, Hombsch continues to improve and the imposter who kidnapped Jonas is ousted for the real mccoy our defence should go back to being a staunch asset. If not we may have to go full shootout, which we're truly capable of now

This picture off the Port Adelaide facebook page is now my desktop background. Whoever made this is a legend.

View attachment 196340
Wish I had seen this before using the 2004 GF dais picture for my bar glass splashback. I am extremely happy with what the end product is going to look like but this would have been even better.

Good reading.

This might sound crazy but I believe the 2015 disaster of a year has set up a platform for a massive 2016 for the club.

The mistakes will be learnt from. e.g the complacency issue
Also the draw Port have now because of the 2015 cluster **** should position them extremely well come September

There has to be hardship before success.

Incredible forward line, incredible midfield. Back line mmm not sure.

2016 should be a great one for Port...They should be top 4. If they can't make finals with that draw they might as well give up.
Your blokes learned from the mistakes of 2009, and have more or less been a powerhouse ever since. Hopefully we can do something similar over the next few years.

Your blokes learned from the mistakes of 2009, and have more or less been a powerhouse ever since. Hopefully we can do something similar over the next few years.

That's exactly what I think will happen now. I won't lie I expected it to happen last year as well.... but as funny as it sounds screwing up last year might be the best thing going forward/long term for Port.

look at the mids- Wines, Hartlett, Grey, Boak

Throw in Pollack and Ebert on the wings

Ryder, Lobe in ruck

Look at the forwards- Dixon, Westhoff, Shultz, Wingard

That's a gun team.

I thought he mentioned 66k as the crowd and thought he got mixed up with the official crowd of '76.
As I wrote, he said it was a crowd of 66,000 and he thought it was the 1966 GF between Sturt and Port. He was a little out for a) the crowd size, b) the year and c) the margin.

That's exactly what I think will happen now. I won't lie I expected it to happen last year as well.... but as funny as it sounds screwing up last year might be the best thing going forward/long term for Port.

look at the mids- Wines, Hartlett, Grey, Boak

Throw in Pollack and Ebert on the wings

Ryder, Lobe in ruck

Look at the forwards- Dixon, Westhoff, Shultz, Wingard

That's a gun team.
Agree: my only worry is injuries. If we can keep our best 22 on the field for most of the year - or close to it, we'll be tough to stop.

As I wrote, he said it was a crowd of 66,000 and he thought it was the 1966 GF between Sturt and Port. He was a little out for a) the crowd size, b) the year and c) the margin.
Wasn't disagreeing with what you said, I was simply stating what I thought at the time Chappelli mentioned it.

Agree but no point in the club constantly giving ammo to the media and opposition. We are an incredibly open club imo and the supporter base is spoilt in that regard yet we always demand more, more, more. Be thankful we aren't the Crows supporters as their club keeps everything tightly in house apart from a few morsels and they have been conditioned to be happy with so little and they accept it as a good thing. Give our club a break. Everything the club does is to ultimately work towards our success. Too many hissy fits and demands from certain supporters imo. I am not referring to you in particular, Sleezy.
No worries. I remember thinking at the time of the 'dishonest football' and 'DK and the vanillerisation of PA' threads - gee, how far removed from the honest appraisal post the 2013 semi is this "we've just got to work harder" bulldust which got trotted out after each loss? However - not sure that a running commmentary of all the 2015 failings would have done any good. We all just wanted something to show that errors made had been picked up and rectified before it was too late.

In the end whatever was done was done too late and we missed the finals. But at least there have been lessons learned.

There's a whole sub-forum for that. Club 1870.

I reckon a former player 'Where are they now' thread like on the Sydney or Gold Coast board has the potential to work well. Though it's best for it to be focused on players who have left the AFL system and are plying their trade in the state or bush leagues otherwise it descends into a bit of a bitchfest (ie. Chaplin/Jacobs).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your team's best 22 and depth for 2016

PORT-sb-AFLM.jpg

B: Jack Hombsch, Alipate Carlile, Jarman Impey
HB: Matthew Broadbent, Jackson Trengove, Hamish Hartlett
C: Jared Polec, Brad Ebert, Jasper Pittard
HF: Justin Westhoff, Charlie Dixon, Robbie Gray
F: Angus Monfries, Jay Schulz, Chad Wingard
Foll: Patrick Ryder, Travis Boak, Ollie Wines
I/C: Matthew Lobbe, Matt White, Tom Jonas, Brendon Ah Chee

DEPTHKey-position defenders: Logan Austin, Cam O'Shea, Tom Clurey
General defenders: Riley Bonner, Darcy Byrne-Jones, Nathan Krakouer
Key-position forwards: John Butcher, Dougal Howard
General forwards: Cameron Hewett*, Dan Houston*, Aidyn Johnson, Jake Neade, Jesse Palmer, Paul Stewart
Midfielders: Karl Amon, Sam Colquhoun, Kane Mitchell*, Sam Gray, Will Snelling*, Jimmy Toumpas, Aaron Young
Rucks: Billy Frampton

Due to the Power's injury woes last year many players were offered chances to strut their stuff on the big stage and to be fair to them, many took those opportunities. Guys such as Sam Gray, Aaron Young and Nathan Krakouer are difficult to leave out of a 'best scenario' 22, but the question always comes back to who makes way for their insertion? Tom Jonas will get back to his best, Brendon Ah Chee deserves a spot and for those just missing the 22, the challenge to break in will remain. Jimmy Toumpas may well impress over the summer and climb the pecking order – however Young, Gray, Colquhoun and even Amon have substantially more runs on the board at Alberton.
More ...
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-28/your-teams-best-22-for-2016
upload_2015-11-28_22-28-39.png
Jared Polec will be back in 2016 to add some dash to the Power

Wasn't disagreeing with what you said, I was simply stating what I thought at the time Chappelli mentioned it.

Re his SANFL and/or AFL allegiances I recall Ian writing "never, ever get on the Port Adelaide bandwagon" in a column somewhere... I don't recall the context or how long ago it was but it might have been him recalling something his dad said to him. Also one of those random wiki pages out on the InterwebZ lists him as a celebrity Essendon fan.

I think Martin was a Glenelg supporter.
Nope he was Westies due to his old man, but manly his paternal grandpa. I asked my mate this morning who knows Chappelli well and writes for the Football Almanac site that does all the footy codes and cricket, and he gave me a link to this article written by ABC news and 7.30 reporter Mike Sexton

Chappelli at Sturt
May 7, 2015 by Michael Sexton
Here is a sledge few of us ever endured while going out to bat: ‘You are only in the team because your grandfather played for Australia.’ That was the burden the young Ian Chappell had to bear as a school boy approaching the crease. On reflection, he says he knew he had got under the skin of his opposition when it changed to: ‘You are only in the team because your bloody grandfather played for Australia’. When it got to the swearing stage I knew I was going alright.”

Like his grandfather Victor Richardson, Ian Chappell captained Australia and neither lost a test series while in charge. Richardson famously told his grandson upon being named skipper “don’t captain like a Victorian,” suggesting entertainment should be part of the plan. Chappell considers he is “more Richardson than Chappell” and his admiration for Vic was evident as he spoke at the Sturt Football Club’s launch of two publications by its Historical and Memorabilia Committee.

Given the admiration for Vic and his deep connection with Sturt it is surprising that Chappell isn’t a Sturt supporter. His cricket club was Glenelg but he didn’t follow the Tigers either. It was another family connection that steered him to West Adelaide. “Obviously my mother Jeanne was very much Sturt and we heard a lot about Sturt but she had s**t for luck. She was the only woman in the household and she got outvoted.”

Chappell’s paternal grandfather Harold ran a pharmacy in Adelaide’s west end and in keeping with the tribal lore of the inner city was a West Adelaide supporter. He also served on the club’s committee. Martin Chappell took his three sons to see the Bloods play at a time when the club was rich in characters. In a decade they played four epic grand finals against Port Adelaide that all ended in heart breaking narrow losses. The experience twisted the young Chappell against anything black and white.

“When I looked at Sturt’s 1915 premiership they beat Port Adelaide which endeared it to me immediately. Although I barracked for Westies I admit in the late 1960s when Sturt was beating Port Adelaide on a regular basis I was always barracking for them which made me popular with mum.

“After watching West Adelaide lose in 1954, 56, 58 and 59 to those bastards seeing Sturt whipping them made my day.” The Chappell boys played football as kids but gave it away in favour of winter baseball. It didn’t mean their interest in the sport waned. The tribal nature of the SANFL was played out in the cricket sheds. Chappell made his debut for South Australia against Tasmania alongside John Halbert who captained Sturt at cricket and football.

The Shield side also featured Neil Hawke and Eric Freeman who wore the black and white prison bar guernsey in winter. Chappell believes Freeman’s passion for Port Adelaide made him vulnerable. “When he walked out to bat Les Favell would say ‘get your head down Fritz’ because he couldn’t help himself and liked to have a thrash and often not sensibly.

“But there was one supporter who used to see him coming and would yell out Carn the Pies just as he set foot through the gates onto the oval and that was the end of Fritz’s brain. He was now playing in a grand final for Port Adelaide and whoosh bang he was out. “When he got back Les would say ‘Jesus Fritz what happened to keeping your head down’ and he would say it was just a normal shot.”
Chappelli at Sturt

Last edited:
Re his SANFL and/or AFL allegiances I recall Ian writing "never, ever get on the Port Adelaide bandwagon" in a column somewhere... I don't recall the context or how long ago it was but it might have been him recalling something his dad said to him. Also one of those random wiki pages out on the InterwebZ lists him as a celebrity Essendon fan.

Many years ago Ian Chappell was coming out of an Orthopaedic clinic as I was about to go in. Just behind Chappell also coming out of the clinic was a guy I used to play footy with, so I said "Thommo! - what are you doing here?" Chappell gave me a wtf look as if to say "Don't you know who I am?"

View attachment 197003
Welcome Jimmy! What a legend
About time we got him. He has a soft spot for Centrals as he lived in Elizabeth with mum for many years ( she married a Barnes and Jimmy took his name) but it was the 2 years he lived with his old man Jim Swan at Semaphore or near Semaphore that he became a Port fan. He also is a big Balmain Tigers fan as he lived around the corner from Leichhardt Oval and used to go watch them and took a bit of time to jump onto the West Tigers wagon. He did wear an Eastern Suburbs/ Sydney Roosters jumper in at least 1 Chisel video and I reckon he wore it when they trashed the Countdown awards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back