Let's talk Ports!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoff to the guts in 2015 - tallest wing man in the league.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2015-02-16/westhoff-set-to-roam
PATRICK Ryder's arrival at Port Adelaide will allow Justin Westhoff to push higher up the field for longer this season, with the 28-year-old Power veteran even flagging a midfield role.

Westhoff's time as a link between attack and defence or deep in the backline has always been cautiously managed, with the Power reliant on his presence up forward as a tall target.

Since Ryder's recruitment from Essendon last October though, the 199cm key forward said he had been spending far more time training up out of the forward 50m arc.

Ask the coach: Ken Hinkley

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2015-02-16/westhoff-set-to-roam

Port's website managers being a bit cheeky in their ornithological selection for the Valentine's Day love birds article. ;)

150214_LOVE2_hero.jpg

Port's website managers being a bit cheeky in their ornithological selection for the Valentine's Day love birds article. ;)

150214_LOVE2_hero.jpg

Anyone else find it creepy that that's clearly a parent and juvenile bird?

Anyone else find it creepy that that's clearly a parent and juvenile bird?

First thing I thought too.

Dalphonso the grey is a dead give away it's a juvenile.

Our defenders are going to be disadvantaged with the new interpretation of shepharding in a marking contest. Since Ken come to the club and Nicks became defence coach we have been brilliant in protecting the defender going for a mark when its 2 v 1 and even in a 3 v 2 contest. Dermie always mentions it when he sees our defenders do it and we do it so well.

Hayden Kennedy on 5AA today said the protecting defender cant just step into the path of the attacking player or just stop and halt the attacking players run at the ball. The defender has to go for the ball. We have brilliantly got in the way of the attacking player and one defender has allowed the other defender take an easy uncontested mark. Kennedy then talked that they will use the bullshit watch the defenders eyes argument. supposedly the protecting defender isnt allowed to look at the attacker he has to keep his eye on the ball only. Thats BS. You are allowed to protect yourself and part of that is looking at where your opponent is and to makw sure you arent cleaned up. They used that BS argument about ruckmen but Lade used to look at his opponent not to take him out bit go protect his broken leg when he returned from his double break.

Later they discussed it with Malthouse and he predicted 10 free kicks a game in the first couple of weeks of NAB cup game until players get it right and umpires dont over react. He reckons that a few weeks into the season it will get down to 2 or 3 a game and the 1 or 2 later n the season.

Last edited:
Malthouse is right. They will over-umpire, ruin a few games and by the middle of the year go back to the old interpretation. Hopefully they won't have cost us games by then.

This is a classic example of the powers that be changing or altering a rule simply for the sake of it. This is exactly what the fans mean when they say "Just leave the game alone". There was nothing wrong with the previous interpretation at all so why fiddle with it?

This is a classic example of the powers that be changing or altering a rule simply for the sake of it. This is exactly what the fans mean when they say "Just leave the game alone". There was nothing wrong with the previous interpretation at all so why fiddle with it?

I guess the whole panel of umpiring coaches have to justify their existence somehow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

F me. The only crack down they need to do is on players ducking into tackles. Introduce the Joel Selwood rule then don't change anything for five years.
Nope, the interpretation of holding the ball/illegal disposal/prior opportunity call it what you like, has been atrocious the last few seasons. It was a blight on our game last year.

Club just rang me to sell lottery tickets, for the first time in about 3 years. I was wrapped

lol so this is why my mate messaged me earlier "I bought a pile of raffle tickets from the pear. What have you done to support our glorious club today?"

I guess the whole panel of umpiring coaches have to justify their existence somehow.
Bingo. Those in high places in AFL House don't believe they're doing their job unless they make certain changes every year. I hear they're also increasing the field umpires to 4 for the NAB Challenge - why don't they also decrease the number of players on the field to 15, so there's less likelihood of the players coming into contact with the maggots?

Still trying to get my head around the club's promise that this year's game day experience will be even better than 2014. Better than NTUA? The club obviously reckons they've come up with something extra special - roll on the first home game against Sydney!!!

Bingo. Those in high places in AFL House don't believe they're doing their job unless they make certain changes every year. I hear they're also increasing the field umpires to 4 for the NAB Challenge - why don't they also decrease the number of players on the field to 15, so there's less likelihood of the players coming into contact with the maggots?

Did someone say KPI?

Still trying to get my head around the club's promise that this year's game day experience will be even better than 2014. Better than NTUA? The club obviously reckons they've come up with something extra special - roll on the first home game against Sydney!!!
The club never said they will do anything better than NTUA. There is a lot of crap before Not Giving In starts. Fix that crap up and you improve the whole game day experience. Nothing has to change between Not Giving In and the first bouncedown. But there is plenty of crap before and after that 5 or so minutes.

The club never said they will do anything better than NTUA. There is a lot of crap before Not Giving In starts. Fix that crap up and you improve the whole game day experience. Nothing has to change between Not Giving In and the first bouncedown. But there is plenty of crap before and after that 5 or so minutes.
Fair enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back