Let's talk Ports!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As 240volt has said so much of this game is played above the shoulders.

We have looked like a victim in too many games this year, teams have thought they could beat us, while we have played like millionaires against those teams and been unsurprisingly beaten. You could see Carlton entered the game last night expecting the worst, the media told them that all week and it became a self-fulfilling prophecy. Hawthorn played like they owned Carlton and Carlton reacted like whipped dogs.

We did that in games against Hawthorn and Collingwood pre-Hinkley. You could see from the opening bounce back then we were playing like we were just wishing it was over. We were a broken club.

For all the misfortunes of this year we've shown no signs of being a broken club. We've fought out every game, we've beaten top teams, but we've gone into games with poor mindsets and paid the price. Defeat has fed indecision has fed failing skills and here we are.

Banging on endlessly that we lost to Carlton is pointless. We lost, we've not had a good year, things have to be fixed. We know that. Comparing Carlton being butchered by Hawthorn now is irrelevant. When Carlton beat us they had sacked Malthouse, run Adelaide to a 9 point margin even with Judd's career ending injury early (and had Carlton had the umpiring ride in that game they had in ours would have won easily), then beat Gold Coast the week after. They had a close loss to the Bulldogs the week after then starting sliding back into the mire.

It's been a dog day year, a lost year but not necessarily a wasted year.

I watched our game against Hawthorn at AO in Round 10 last year, last night.

You can see the difference in our team's mentality from last year to this year, before the game has even started.

We looked confident, to the point of slight arrogance. We looked fired up and aggressive.

We looked like winners.

I watched our game against Hawthorn at AO in Round 10 last year, last night.

You can see the difference in our team's mentality from last year to this year, before the game has even started.

We looked confident, to the point of slight arrogance. We looked fired up and aggressive.

We looked like winners.

"Nah you only won that game cause you were playing Box Hill...play them full strength at the MCG and see how you go!" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

It seems pretty clear that 2015 is done and dusted, but 2016 is a whole new ball game. If we can get a bit of luck with injuries: especially White and Polec playing full seasons, as well as a more favourable draw, I don't see any reason why we can't push up into the 8 next year.

West Coast were quite ordinary last year. They lost several games at home, and missed the 8. But look at them now - they're a huge chance to host 2 finals. Maybe Port can emulate the Eagles' rise in 2016.

We should get a much easier draw next year at least, and not as many expectations.

We have looked like a victim in too many games this year, teams have thought they could beat us, while we have played like millionaires against those teams and been unsurprisingly beaten. You could see Carlton entered the game last night expecting the worst, the media told them that all week and it became a self-fulfilling prophecy. Hawthorn played like they owned Carlton and Carlton reacted like whipped dogs.

We did that in games against Hawthorn and Collingwood pre-Hinkley. You could see from the opening bounce back then we were playing like we were just wishing it was over. We were a broken club.

For all the misfortunes of this year we've shown no signs of being a broken club. We've fought out every game, we've beaten top teams, but we've gone into games with poor mindsets and paid the price. Defeat has fed indecision has fed failing skills and here we are.

Banging on endlessly that we lost to Carlton is pointless. We lost, we've not had a good year, things have to be fixed. We know that. Comparing Carlton being butchered by Hawthorn now is irrelevant. When Carlton beat us they had sacked Malthouse, run Adelaide to a 9 point margin even with Judd's career ending injury early (and had Carlton had the umpiring ride in that game they had in ours would have won easily), then beat Gold Coast the week after. They had a close loss to the Bulldogs the week after then starting sliding back into the mire.

People say don't blame the draw. I don't. But have a look at the teams we play and understand the psychology at work:

1. Fremantle - beat them in the semi-final on their own dung heap. Play them in the same location. Out for revenge.
2. Sydney - got thrashed by Hawthorn who we only lost to by 3 points. Wanted to prove what would have happened if we had won.
3. North Melbourne - got trashed by Sydney while we pushed Hawthorn. Wanted to prove that they were worthy prelim finalists.
4. Hawthorn - almost lost to us in the prelim final, wanted to prove it was an aberration.
5. Adelaide - got thrashed in the corresponding fixture last year. New coach our old assistant.
6. West Coast - lost to us at Subiaco in 'contentious' circumstances. Out for revenge.
7. Brisbane - got thrashed by the tune of 100+ by us. Out for revenge.
8. Richmond - got humiliated by us in the elimination final.
9. Melbourne - normal game.
10. Western Bulldogs - normal game.
11. Geelong - got thrashed by us by 40 points on Anzac Day. Out for revenge.
12. Carlton - got trashed by us by 100+ at home. New coach. Out for revenge.

BYE

13. Sydney - normal game.
14. Collingwood - normal game (though Walsh tribute would be a factor)
15. Adelaide - couldn't even be classified as a Showdown. Played on Adelaide's terms even though it was our home game.

The majority of teams on this list had something extra to play for, an extra motivation to beat us that we simply didn't have. I don't think our mindset has been poor, just not as switched on as our opponents. That results in the opposition pressuring us harder than they normally would, which feeds into our tendency to drop marks, fumble and generally play s**t, which is a self fulfilling prophecy. It compounds week after week, until the team is drowning under expectations of the preseason without being mature enough to handle it.

At least next year the roles will be reversed. We'll be the ones out for revenge against ALL these campaigners. Especially the opportunistic Adelaide Vultures.

The problem is ford....

We were toe to toe with hawks less than a year ago....

Watching them beat up on Carlton last night is relevant .....

I am hoping this is one of these down years everyone talks about.....but deep down i dont believe its an actual thing...

Why did my post get deleted?

and pafc66 rubbish remains

Chances are your post quoted or was part of a chain of posts that was deleted. I just deleted a bunch of abusive posts, maybe your post was part of the chain.

If you have an issue with a post, report it.

Yes we lost to Carlton, yes Hawthorn butchered them - I can't see the point in endlessly sooking about it.

Sooking.....

Jesus....

Majority posts on here are sooky ...only place to vent about it....its not like it gets brought up every freaking day...

It might be the effect of your avatar but it seems like your posts are more angry of late.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

congratulations to the Ebert family, especially Russell, for the bronze statue that is going to be unveiled at the GWS game.

with all due respect to the GWS, not sure what everyone else thinks, but a more high profile game would have been more fitting? Adelaide, Collingwood?

Saturday afternoon games don't traditionally hit the sweet spot for our supporters.

People say don't blame the draw. I don't. But have a look at the teams we play and understand the psychology at work:

1. Fremantle - beat them in the semi-final on their own dung heap. Play them in the same location. Out for revenge.
2. Sydney - got thrashed by Hawthorn who we only lost to by 3 points. Wanted to prove what would have happened if we had won.
3. North Melbourne - got trashed by Sydney while we pushed Hawthorn. Wanted to prove that they were worthy prelim finalists.
4. Hawthorn - almost lost to us in the prelim final, wanted to prove it was an aberration.
5. Adelaide - got thrashed in the corresponding fixture last year. New coach our old assistant.
6. West Coast - lost to us at Subiaco in 'contentious' circumstances. Out for revenge.
7. Brisbane - got thrashed by the tune of 100+ by us. Out for revenge.
8. Richmond - got humiliated by us in the elimination final.
9. Melbourne - normal game.
10. Western Bulldogs - normal game.
11. Geelong - got thrashed by us by 40 points on Anzac Day. Out for revenge.
12. Carlton - got trashed by us by 100+ at home. New coach. Out for revenge.

BYE

13. Sydney - normal game.
14. Collingwood - normal game (though Walsh tribute would be a factor)
15. Adelaide - couldn't even be classified as a Showdown. Played on Adelaide's terms even though it was our home game.

The majority of teams on this list had something extra to play for, an extra motivation to beat us that we simply didn't have. I don't think our mindset has been poor, just not as switched on as our opponents. That results in the opposition pressuring us harder than they normally would, which feeds into our tendency to drop marks, fumble and generally play s**t, which is a self fulfilling prophecy. It compounds week after week, until the team is drowning under expectations of the preseason without being mature enough to handle it.

At least next year the roles will be reversed. We'll be the ones out for revenge against ALL these campaigners. Especially the opportunistic Adelaide Vultures.

I agree with this type of analysis too. When you play teams is just as important as anything in the wash up of a season.

I'd add in that we were the first scalp that Eagles could take to show they had shed the flat track bully tag, and then the Carlton game was the week after they had the bye, and they clearly used that break to regroup, reassess and have a real crack at us.

Bottom line is if you are good enough a lot of this adversity will be overcome, but I have never considered us to be more than a 5-8 team, and teams in that bracket still need a lot to go right to have a good season.

Agree with this. With the right attitude and lessons learnt, you can take something from even the worst year. Of course we don't seem to have learnt our lesson all year and have repeated mistakes.

It will be interesting to see how we finish off. Hopefully on an upward trajectory with a burning pain in the guts that results in a better year next year.

Inb4 the AFL again review the top-6, middle-6, bottom-6 double ups in the fixture.

Ran the predictor again. Best way to do it seems to be to go through all the rounds, first tip our games only and then the games that will not affect us(like Hawthorn v West Coast or Suns V Brisbane). Then do the ones with the teams going for the eight and see what happens to us. When we drop out of the eight it can give you an idea of what results need to go our way and gives a bit of confidence for the last 7 rounds. I admit hoping to get in with 12 wins is a bit much and will require more than just us winning but as I see it it's preferable to having no hope at the moment.

Easy Ford you are speaking too logically.

Ran the predictor again. Best way to do it seems to be to go through all the rounds, first tip our games only and then the games that will not affect us(like Hawthorn v West Coast or Suns V Brisbane). Then do the ones with the teams going for the eight and see what happens to us. When we drop out of the eight it can give you an idea of what results need to go our way and gives a bit of confidence for the last 7 rounds. I admit hoping to get in with 12 wins is a bit much and will require more than just us winning but as I see it it's preferable to having no hope at the moment.

So did I, IMO if we perform to the average standard of this season consistently for the next 7 weeks we are 50-50 to make finals. Most likely 8th-9th pending percentage. It's just the problem is our peak and troughs are akin to that of North Melbourne on amphetamines. Our best can take us to 5th our worst we can stay where we are(the 6below us are basically basket cases for this season)

This week will tell us a lot we really have to steam roll the saints for percentage, if not we have to beat Hawthorn/Freo.

Well we ran them to 3 points in a prelim at the G and then beat them this year AS WELL. Next point.

Pretty much exactly what I was actually saying in regards to calls that we only beat a depleted Hawthorn in Round 10, 2014. The end result of last years Preliminary Final showed that the gap between Hawthorn and Port Adelaide wasn't so big after all in 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back