Oppo Camp Levi Greenwood to be on SEN after 6.00 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Levi Greenwood and North Melbourne 'miles apart' on contract

Levi Greenwood this year got a taste of two things. One was regular football, the other was playing big games with the surge of adrenalin that only the baying crowd can provide.

He thrived on both. It meant that at the end of the year when Collingwood offered him the promise of midfield game time and the certainty that those games would be in front of big crowds, he knew he wanted to play for the Magpies.

Greenwood had not really thought he would not be at North next year. Not when he kept holding his spot in the team. Not when he kept playing well. But as the season dragged on and the offer to remain at the Roos did not significantly improve from the initial one-year deal, he suddenly had to consider the alternatives.

"I was playing footy, I was in the seniors so I thought it would work itself out and in the end it did - it just wasn't with North."

The Dayne Beams request for a trade helped facilitate the move – Collingwood passed on pick 25 to North that it had received from Brisbane in order to get Greenwood – but Magpie coach Nathan Buckley said it was only convenient for the deals to be tied.
"Levi would have come in regardless of Beamsy's situation," Buckley said.

"What I really look forward to at Collingwood is I feel there is a spot right in the middle there for me with Beams leaving now and it is one thing they made clear to me at the start was that there will be a spot there for me provided you have a big pre-season and you get yourself right.

"I got a taste for playing in front of big crowds this year and I really enjoyed it. You get a taste for big games and the momentum in games swinging through the crowd and you just want more of it. We had a bit of that at North but not so much as Collingwood and it would have been less at Bulldogs and North. Although they do not get huge crowds they are very strong and they do give you quite a good push."
What a load of absolute bullshit.

Didn't think I'd ever hate Levi, now I know I do.

So you leave because after 1 good season, you got a taste of playing in the big games (finals, something collingwood will probably not be active in next year..)..

I feel sorry for him a little bit because I feel the Liam Pickering has brainwashed him into this decision. But * him, he left for the money, plain and simple that is all.

So people here hated NDS for coming to us? Wont cheer Waite or Higgins? It is a bit hypocritical. He left for more money and more opportunity and left for a coach who said that he values him as a midfielder compared to his current coach who seems to will him to fail playing in positions outside the midfield.

Nobody in his shoes would have remained, you are just lying to yourself if you say otherwise.

Don't think it's the leaving for cash people have issue with, it's the unnecessary comments regarding the club he's brought out into the open through himself and his manager that people are annoyed about.

Don't think it's the leaving for cash people have issue with, it's the unnecessary comments regarding the club he's brought out into the open through himself and his manager that people are annoyed about.
really hes entitled to say what he likes, i dont begrudge what he feels.

personally iam pretty disappointing that he didnt get a satisfactory outcome.

This whole time of year is getting pretty distasteful. I know why the clubs are doing it, and of course it's lovely to see your new players in the jumper and talking about how excited they are, but now that we've had a taste of a player leaving it's made me much more aware of the other side. I didn't even mind the Levi stuff that much, but the Beams reveal as a Lion, and the Bulldogs/Giants carryon, have made me pretty queasy.

So people here hated NDS for coming to us?

He was getting on 30, had given a decade of quality service and St Kilda wanted him out the door as part of a rebuild. They were just holding back to check on the compensation they were get and trying to leverage in Delaney on the cheap. Which they achieved.

Poor example to use.

As much as I might violently disagree with it, I can almost understand Levi's decision (in a Gen Y, "me, me, me" kind of way). But blithely accepting it as the way of the modern game is another thing altogether. I don't like free agency or increased player movement so when someone walks out on my club i'm going to boo the living s**t out of him, just as I expect the Carlton fans to give it to Waite & the dogs fans to Higgins. I actually think it's a part of the game we don't want to lose, sitting back copping it is one step closer to an NRL supporter. So when the fixture comes out Thursday I'll be circling the Collingwood game, making the necessary arrangements for the 1000k round trip & booing every time Levi touches it just as loudly as I cheered him during the finals this year.

If all he was offered was a one year deal as stated above, then he has every right to leave.

There is an interview on the Collingwood website where he states he was offered a one year deal during mid part of the year.
He then says North only extended that offer by one year after the B&F.

There is an interview on the Collingwood website where he states he was offered a one year deal during mid part of the year.
He then says North only extended that offer by one year after the B&F.

Thanks. Still understandable. For a top 3 B&F finish (and a good finals series) you would be expecting more.

I'm not happy for, or angry about Greenwood at all... I'm totally indifferent.

IMO, he was totally overrated by North supporters & the club didn't get sucked in by offering overs. Third in our B&F is commendable, however there are many better players who didn't even figure in the top 5 (NDS, Gibbo, Hunter, Spitta, Atley, JZ and LT) who I would be actually upset at loosing.

One good season does not make a career.

Good luck to him, but I wont be following him or booing him either. Let's get on with the footy and win some more finals :thumbsu:

Thanks. Still understandable. For a top 3 B&F finish (and a good finals series) you would be expecting more.
For 1 good season in 7 years at the club, a 2-3 year deal is very generous. We showed a lot of faith by keeping him on the list for so long.

1 year deal offered earlier on in season while not in crash hot from is fine, we should have put a 3 year deal in front of him towards back end of year, before the finals.

Club didn't handle it exceptionally well, but at the same time, he could have stayed but chose to chase the money after one good year instead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm over it.

At the end of the day we have Ben Cunnington and Jack Ziebell, Levi is a poor mans Cunners and JZ.

Levi is 26, Ziebell and Cunnington are 23.

Levi will never be elite, the other two have a very good chance of reaching an elite level.

Another positive, Bryce gets to work his magic with pick 16, 25 and 36. I put my life on the fact that he will find at least one 200 game player with those picks.

The only Collingwood player I like is Swannie. Nothing has changed. I've lost respect for Levi, because he has bad mouthed our club.

Best of luck to Levi.

I'm disappointed, but hold no grudge whatsoever and can understand his decision.

I'm sure many other players would leave also if presented with the same situation.

For 1 good season in 7 years at the club, a 2-3 year deal is very generous. We showed a lot of faith by keeping him on the list for so long.

1 year deal offered earlier on in season while not in crash hot from is fine, we should have put a 3 year deal in front of him towards back end of year, before the finals.

Club didn't handle it exceptionally well, but at the same time, he could have stayed but chose to chase the money after one good year instead.

Same time - think the club is a bit gun-shy after the Urquhart-esque failures. The list managers know what Levi's worth is. What we often fail to understand is that salary caps aren't done on napkins or two minute jobs on BigFooty. They're a long process with meticulous planning. If the club felt that they couldn't sustain Levi given his importance/perceived value - I'm happy to back them in.

Good luck to the bloke. He's a mediocre footballer, who's got a chance to sure up his life after football. Thanks for the service, but the football club moves on.

I just popped over to say what a jerk Levi Greenwood is, he has one good year and then does this to the team that gave him that opportunity. I really liked him this year too, he was my little gamble in Ultimate Footy, and proved the get of the year. But hey Collingwood love recruiting flash in the pan type players - Jesse White anyone;)

I just popped over to say what a jerk Levi Greenwood is, he has one good year and then does this to the team that gave him that opportunity. I really liked him this year too, he was my little gamble in Ultimate Footy, and proved the get of the year. But hey Collingwood love recruiting flash in the pan type players - Jesse White anyone;)

He only had one good (i'd say excellent) year because the coach kept (IMO unfairly) dropping him in prior years, assigning roles not suited to him, and continually playing other guys who deserved omitting.

It is not a great surprise he has looked elsewhere all things considered, and seeking extra $$ and job security does not make him a jerk.

He dissed us a bit today I thought. Something about how great it'll be to play for a big club in front of big crowds ,no respect,delist from mind.

honestly doesnt exist until we play them for me then he,ll get the same treatment all pie players get

This whole time of year is getting pretty distasteful. I know why the clubs are doing it, and of course it's lovely to see your new players in the jumper and talking about how excited they are, but now that we've had a taste of a player leaving it's made me much more aware of the other side. I didn't even mind the Levi stuff that much, but the Beams reveal as a Lion, and the Bulldogs/Giants carryon, have made me pretty queasy.

I think the worst of all was the press conference when Pagan came out as the Blues coach - he concocted some bullshit that he had always been a Blues supporter. They should limit themselves to comments anticipating the future not vailed (or not so vailed) criticism of their former club

The only Collingwood player I like is Swannie. Nothing has changed. I've lost respect for Levi, because he has bad mouthed our club.
the only Collingwood player that I have ever liked is Gavin Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back